New pillow tops on beds in outside cabins

piper28

After doing some searching, didn't find anyone commenting on this. Just off the Star cruise, and when we asked out cabin steward about getting an egg crate topper like we normally do, he said that Princess has started putting in a pillow-top on the beds in outside cabins. Sure enough, looking under the sheets, there was indeed an added pillow-top piece that had been added.

Now, that was the first I'd heard about it, and I honestly don't know if it's something that's spread to any of the other ships or not? Yeah, the Star had just come off dry-dock, but I don't believe the mattresses were replaced en-masse on it, the ones in our cabin looked older than one cruise (and for that matter, one side of the bed definitely looked more saggy than the other).

I've been one of those that quite honestly has always felt that the beds on Princess are terrible (the only decent bed I'd had on Princess was in a suite that actually had a bed that wasn't separable into twins). Personally I felt that the bed was more comfortable than I've had in the past, so I'd consider this a good sign.

So the question is, any other ships have this yet? Anyone else hear anything about it?

This is news to me and having now experienced a HAL mattress, Princess really need an upgrade.

We thought HAL had the best, most comfortable beds, too!!! In fact, HAL beats Princess in cabin amenities also. We had an OV cabin and it had a Bathtub and sofa as standard furnishings. Still, I'm happiest when cruising with Princess.

And back to the subject at hand - Princess beds - I have heard nothing about new pillow tops, but sure hope they go fleet wide!

I get on Star in 10 days and I sure hope the new mattress is awaiting me as I think the old beds are a pain for my arthritic body -- even with lots of extra pillows and a topper. Please let it go to cat. E. Thanks for reporting and giving me lots of hope.

I get on Star in 10 days and I sure hope the new mattress is awaiting me as I think the old beds are a pain for my arthritic body -- even with lots of extra pillows and a topper. Please let it go to cat. E. Thanks for reporting and giving me lots of hope.

the bed on my D mini was very comfortable. They probably changed out during dry dock.

the bed on my D mini was very comfortable. They probably changed out during dry dock.

Let's hope!!!

I always sleep well on a cruise, even with the Princess mattresses. I think it's being rocked to sleep that does it -- or maybe I'm just more tired than usual from all the fun :)

A few months ago, there was a rumor that some staff person told someone that Princess was upgrading their mattresses. I kept asking people what their experiences were and this is the first I've heard something positive. On my recent cruise on the Island Princess I saw no change to the bedding. I brought my own memory foam topper and it was still uncomfortable. Personally, I don't know if a pillowtop will help that much since the camper style mattress sits on a solid metal grate, so there are no springs or give. Pillowtops may help a bit, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem of poorly designed beds. I wish Princess would bite the bullet and improve the quality of their beds. The huge majority of my cruises have been on Princess, but I'm ready to cancel my upcoming cruises and I'm shopping other cruise lines. I love Princess, but it's just not a vacation for me if I can't sleep. JMO.

I'm going on my first Princess cruise in April & am now worried about sleeping on the beds. I do not like hard beds because I sleep on my side and they really hurt my hips. I do not understand why they don't change their beds. On their website they describe them as luxury mattresses with high quality sheets & duvet. It certainly sounded good! I had no idea when I booked the cruise. I'm wondering if I should switch to another cruise line but I really like the ports & everything else about this one.

I've heard people talking about bringing a mattress topper. How do you do that? Do you stuff it in an extra suitcase? Would you recommend that we bring one? If you don't bring your own, when do you order the egg crate topper? Can you do it ahead of time or do you ask your steward when you get on board?

Thanks for all your help. Aside from the bed, we are really looking forward to our cruise on Princess!

An improvement in the mattresses would be wonderful news. Mattress quality and the bathtub are the main reasons we have added HAL cruises recently.
Like food, mattresses are a matter of personal preference. :) I hate the HAL mattresses and while I enjoy cruising with them, don't look forward to the beds because I know I'm going to get a sciatica flare-up because there isn't enough support.

I really hope Princess doesn't change from mattresses with excellent support to soft ones without.

Like Pam, we have found the beds to be very comfortable and I hope they don't change them too much. We sleep better on the ship than we do at home. I don't know if it's the mattress, the rocking of the ship, weariness from day's activities or all the good food/wine! :) Keep an open mind.

I'm going on my first Princess cruise in April & am now worried about sleeping on the beds. I do not like hard beds because I sleep on my side and they really hurt my hips. I do not understand why they don't change their beds. On their website they describe them as luxury mattresses with high quality sheets & duvet. It certainly sounded good! I had no idea when I booked the cruise. I'm wondering if I should switch to another cruise line but I really like the ports & everything else about this one.

I've heard people talking about bringing a mattress topper. How do you do that? Do you stuff it in an extra suitcase? Would you recommend that we bring one? If you don't bring your own, when do you order the egg crate topper? Can you do it ahead of time or do you ask your steward when you get on board?

Thanks for all your help. Aside from the bed, we are really looking forward to our cruise on Princess!

I have been on 5 different Princess ships and never had a complaint about the mattress! As Pam said, mattress styles are personal preference. Don't change your plans based on this thread. Princess is a fantastic cruise line, and you'll have a blast on your cruise!

They are not luxury mattresses. Far from it. To answer your question, I bought a lightweight memory foam mattress and put it in one of those travel bags that compress the air out of them. It fit in my suitcase. This wouldn't work with the dense memory foam mattresses as they're pretty heavy. Some people go shopping when they get to the embarkation port and buy one. Some people bring air mattresses from sporting goods stores. The cruise line does have some foam toppers which are about a half inch think and don't do a lot. Some people ask for extra duvets to be put under the sheets. You can have your TA ask for an egg crate foam topper, fax a request or ask your steward when you're on the ship. As for switching to another cruise line, I suggest you try Princess first. I love Princess and am sad that I'm shopping other cruise lines due to the bed situation.

PS. Just as a side note to the topic in case you think I'm too picky, I sailed on the Island Princess in November. That same month I had stays in 4 different hotel rooms and slept fine in all of them. The previous November I sailed on Celebrity and slept great on their beds. Just saying.

I was in a suite on the grand princess on the dec 17 sailing. We had the pillow top mattress and it was very comfortable. I have been on17 princess cruises and it was the first time I did not need the egg crate. Our steward said it was put on a week ago. Enjoy!

I said it months ago, Princess needs to come up with a "Sleep Like A Princess" mattress. If they are upgrading their mattresses I sure hope they have a new one in my cabin with a pillowtop on Saturday.

The problem with princesses is that they can feel a dried pea through seven mattresses. :D

Thanks for all the replies & advice! It sounds like the new pillowtop mattresses are only in the suites right now. We have just a balcony cabin... wish they would get them in those rooms by April. However, since we are driving to port, I think I'll just carry on a memory foam topper or try to stuff it in a suitcase. It is certainly a shame that we have to do that. We love the beds on HAL, Celebrity & Royal Caribbean.

I love the idea of a "Sleep Like a Princess" mattress...what a great marketing slogan!

Anybody going on the Crown before April & in a BA balcony cabin, please report back if you had a new pillowtop. I would love to not have to carry on the topper. Thanks!

Anybody going on the Crown before April & in a BA balcony cabin, please report back if you had a new pillowtop. I would love to not have to carry on the topper.
We did a btob on the Crown in November. We were in a BA balcony on Caribe. We asked our steward for a foam topper and she brought us a covered 3" memory foam. At the time we thought this might be the replacement for the old 1" foam. This 3" topper was fantastic.

We're on the star for 30 days next month. I'll have to FAX for the same topper.

We did a btob on the Crown in November. We were in a BA balcony on Caribe. We asked our steward for a foam topper and she brought us a covered 3" memory foam. At the time we thought this might be the replacement for the old 1" foam. This 3" topper was fantastic.

We're on the star for 30 days next month. I'll have to FAX for the same topper.

You never know if what they bring you is something Princess provided or something another cruiser left behind. I left the topper I brought behind. I'd love to hear some word from Princess that they're providing these to all the cabins. In November, when I asked if they had any ship provided topper they showed me an old and stiff 1/2 inch foam topper. Good luck with your request. I'd like to hear if they give you the same type.

Archived