Kusadasi Shopping in September 2011

Souvenirs in Ephesus/Kusadasi Turkey:

This post is long-overdue. I wanted to offer a word or two of warning regarding shopping with vendors at the Ephesus (Kusadasi) ruins area. We thought the region was very interesting, by the way, but let me tell you about the food products that I purchased.

Just after touring the ruins, we walked along a tree-lined walkway back to our waiting tour guide and the van with driver. We passed by several booths with vendors and I spotted one selling "Turkish Delight" just across from a juice stand. The young man working the booth saw that I was interested in the boxes of candy and began picking up several, loading them into my arms. On top of that, he began to load bags of "Apple Tea". I didn't mind one or two but he tried to bag up several before I asked for them, then began to bag up several boxes of Turkish coffee. I kept putting some back and saying, "No...too many." He kept on filling my arms and bags....this went back and forth. I was in a good mood and he was a great little salesman, so I still bought more than I had planned on.

The Turkish Delight came in rectangular boxes and there were different flavors...assorted, lemon, rose, etc. When I got them home and we opened one to share with friends, I realised that the product was packaged very deceptively. The box had an interior box that formed a frame which held a SMALL bag of the candy. The quantity was about 1/3 of the original box size, if that. I began to wonder about the Apple "Tea"....

The package has the word "Bekiraga" on the box. It is green with a small red flag in the corner and the word "APPLE" in large white letters. If you look under the word Apple, you find the words "Flavored Drink Powder". Ingredients: Sugar, citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, "nature identical apple flavor", foold colrant, tri-calcium phosphorate, tri-sodium citrate. I'm not seeing "tea" anywhere.

The Turkish Delight is packaged colorfully with a photo of cut squares of the candy, some pretty flowers on the rose flavored, which I have sitting here unopened. The words "Smyrna" in large print and "Turkish Delight" underneath. There is a red Turkish flag on the back. In fine print, this product is also produced by "Bekiraga".

The coffee is also by Bekiraga and to be honest, it STINKS. If it smells this bad cold and dry, I can only imagine what it will smell like hot and in liquid form. I opened the package and for lack of a better description, the coffee smells like an old person's house. The kind that is neglected, etc. I don't think I could drink it. It smells like dirt. Not kidding.

Here's the funniest part. When I handed the guy a 50 euro I expected change back. Instead of handing me change, he kept adding product. The thing that GOT me was a sandwich-sized bag of "saffron". Knowing how expensive saffron is, I caved and bought everything. The salesman smiled and kissed my hand and said, "You are a very sympathetic lady."

Each product has lead me to suspect the next one. Today was my day to look into the "Turkish Saffron" also manufactured by...guess who?....Bekiraga. I googled the small-print word under "Turkish Saffron" which is "Haspir". It turned up on a list of culinary terms on this site http://www.how-to-cook-gourmet.com/culinary-terms-s-t.html:

"Safflower

A plant (Carthamus tincotorius) with a flower that looks like a saffron crocus; its flavorless threads have a deep burnt orange color and are used as a food coloring; also known as bastard saffron, false saffron, haspir, Mexican saffron and saffron thistle."

Real saffron is described as:

"Saffron (SAF-ruhn)

A spice that is the dried yellow-orange stigma of a crocus’s purple flower (Crocus sativus); native to the Middle East, it has a slightly bitter, honeylike flavor and a strong, pungent aroma; used as a flavoring and yellow coloring agent."

Word of warning....their products all turned out to be a rip-off. The only other food products we purchased were some fruit-flavored wines. I hope they are legit. :P

Now...I have to dispose of the Turkish coffee because the smell is nauseating. When time allows, I'll post photos of the packages. I hope no one else wastes their money like I did.

Yikes ! 50 euros...... thats alot. Sorry to hear about your shopping experience there.......

....not to say perhaps you should have known, but was this right next to the booths with the big sign GENUINE FAKE WATCHES ????

This whole area is nothing more than a tourist trap and our guide had told us we should shop in Kusadasi (which I already knew).

Altho I will have to say that on our second visit here I bought a beautiful white cotten embroidered caftan for a good price. But I knew what I was getting since it wasnt packaged food.

I walked through that same market area too just outside the exit . Confected excitement and shouting creates a great atmosphere, BUT you must have missed the large flashing Neon Sign " GENUINE FAKE WATCHES !!!!" that should alert one that market was likely to be full of "Snake Oil Salesmen."

Really enjoyed the OPs post. DW and I have been to Turkey quite a few times and have learned to really enjoy the Turks, their sense of humor, and their excessive "entreprenaurial spirit." The Turks are very talented entreprenaurs and are very expert at separating tourists from their money :). To them it is somewhat like a game and if you get "ripped off" it just means they win and you lose. Bargaining in this country is a real art form and can be lots of fun once you realize that you must play the game to win (like the lottery). The basic rule is that if they accept your offer you have paid too much. If they let you walk...you have bargained too low....although walking can be a good strategy (as when they come running after you and accept your final offer). DW once spent more then 1 hour bargaining for a small 2 x 1 /2 foot carpet (for a wall hanging) before she got her price (not to mention several beers). One Turkish shop keeper told me that when you get them down to a proper price you win their respect...but if you overpay they just smile and think to themselves ("what a sucker").

Hank

Your replies made me laugh and YES, I was near the guy with the "Genuine Fake Watches". :eek: I'm generally a tough sell but get me on a great mood day and I'm not so tough.

But is that any way to treat a nice "sympathetic" lady? :D

I'm now wondering what the word "Bekiraga" means....Probably means "got another one". :D

I thought it was odd that we couldn't find chocolate in Turkey. Don't they import?

Not sure about the answer to chocolate other then its often a bit hot in Turkey for that treat unless you want chocolate syrup :) We have seen quite a few decent chocolate shops while walking around Istanbul....but do not remember anything in Kusadasi.

Hank

The Turkish Delight ... had an interior box that formed a frame which held a SMALL bag of the candy....

Yes, we were very sad too. We purchased several boxes to take back home to family and friends. When we opened the first box onboard ship that night, very disappointing. When we got home, I decided I couldn't bear to give these candies away. I wanted to take a box to work but I was too embarrassed. They all ended up in the trash. Oh well.

I do love my woven bookmarks, though. 2 for 1 Euro and they are fabulous. :D

I thought it was odd that we couldn't find chocolate in Turkey. Don't they import?

There is chocolate in Turkey, just not a lot of it. The reason? It's not that popular. Turks prefer their traditional desserts made predominantly with nuts and honey, not chocolate.

I got some wonderfully fresh Turkish delight at a little shop in the port area at Kusadasi. It was not pre booked, but each piece was put into the box as ordered and then the box was sealed, just like in a candy store at home. Wonderful!

• 3 weeks later...

Can I give shoppers in Kusadasi some hints learned from times I was there. NEVER let them see how much money you have! You will get fleeced for sure.

Lets say you want a genuine fake watch, but you only want to spend 10E - have your "plan" before you even go in the shop....only have that amount of money in your purse. Dont look at one specific watch straight away but when the salesman sees which one you are most interested in he will either tell you how much it is or will ask you how much you "have". This is when the fact that you only have 10E in your purse will come to your advantage. If he wont give you it for 10 no worries, there are loads of shops selling the same thing and if you do have to get a little more you can save face by "borrowing" something off the person you are with.

Don't buy perfume off the men on the street that walk around with boxes of perfume in carrier bags. it will be fake - but not fake prices!

Don't point at things but dont let their pushiness get to you. It's all a game. I have had lots of geniune fake watches and they work perfectly well I have to admit!

Archived