"Live" Jewel of the Seas, January 12-16

rafinmd

I'm boarding the Jewel in the morning. I'll be posting some reports here and will have a companion blog with some pictures and documents here:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/rafinmd/3/tpod.html

Travelpod won't accept pdf files and cruise critic won't take large attachments but I'll try to post the activities page of the Compass here and a full version somewhere later. I'll start here with my 2 pre-embarkation entries:

Day T-2, Tuesday January 10 – Return to Tampa

The airport shuttle picked me up just before 6 and dropped me off at BWI airport about 6:40. My Airtran flight to Tampa had been booked up through RCI’s Choice Air program. This seems to be one of the most flexible air programs in the cruise industry and I got a good price on the one-way flight with some support from the program in case anything went wrong the day of the flight. It was actually a textbook flight arriving at the gate about 10 minutes early. I was at the hotel about 12:15, although my room was not quite ready. After a bit of grocery shopping and lunch the room was ready and I worked on some last minute volunteer activities. In the evening I went for a walk and dinner, then spent the evening in the hotel.

Day T-1, Wednesday January 11 Tampa

I spent most of the day at one of my favorite places in central Florida, Bok Tower Gardens. Edward Bok immigrated to the US from Holland at age 6. After a very successful career he established a sanctuary in Lake Wales in 1929 as a gift to his adopted country. The gardens sit on one of the highest points on the Florida Peninsula. While the gardens are beautiful the centerpiece is a 205-foot tower with a 60-bell carillon. Not really an attraction, the complex is a very peaceful place with trails, an education center and several historic buildings. Carillon concerts are presented daily at 1 and 3, usually live but at times (as today) via recording. Short recorded passages are also played through the day at 30-minute intervals. Today’s concert was a mix of several types of music, largely carillon pieces but also such varied things as hymns, a Bach violin fugue, and Beethoven’s Ode to Joy. The tower is surrounded by a pond which produces a beautiful reflection of the tower. The tranquility is supported by a pond with a shelter and a glass window which looks out on whatever wildlife is in the area. There is a small area of manicured gardens but most of them are examples of local plants in a natural setting.

I was at the gardens approximately 11-3, and stopped by my parents graves on the way back to Tampa. There will be some final reshuffling of my luggage this evening before heading for the pier in the morning.

Roy

When I rose about 6:30 the news was talking about heavy fog in the area. In the morning I did final work on the internet and finalized the things to come with me on the ship, packing the rest for the trip home Monday, and took a walk to a local store for a bit of last minute shopping. I left the hotel a little about 11:30 for the 20-minute drive to the pier. While the documents said "arrive no earlier than 1:30" checkin went quickly and I was on board for my second RCI cruise about 12:30.

I found that in at least one aspect the Jewel is the exact opposite of the Enchantment. The Jewel Windjammer is aft here with a covered open section of tables on the stern. The outdoor aft tables were a very pleasant place, although I also enjoyed the Enchantment's forward views, especially when it pulled into San Juan. Each has it's advantages and I'm glad we have choices.

It was back down to deck 2 soon after the rooms 1PM opening. While my checked bags did not arrive until 3:45 it was great to get the stuff in my carryon put away and spend a bit of time exploring the ship.

The Jewel has a number of things I did not see on Enchantment including a miniature golf course, small waterslide as well as Portofino Italian restaurant. We had a Cruise Critic get together at 3 in at the Sky bar with probably 20 people attending.

My stateroom attendant Roland came by and introduced himself about 3:30 and briefed me on the coming muster drill. The drill was held outside on deck 5 and lasted about 15 minutes. Life jackets were not required for the drill although the staff demonstrated how to properly don them. We dropped our lines promptly at 4:30 and made our way South towards Tampa Bay. The cruise terminal sits on a narrow inlet into the heart of Tampa. There is a museum ship and a lot of dry dock activity of interest but also a lot of fuel depots and dredging facilities making the sail out less than ideal. Captain James noted we would be passing under the Skyway Bridge about 6:45. I was at dinner at the time but will try to be up in time to see it on the return.

I am at a 6-person table for early dinner, and tonight 4 of us were present. I enjoyed a steak and blueberry and peach cobbler. There was one familiar face among the crew. Carly Boileau is the cruise director, and she held that position when I was on the Enchantment in May. There was 1 welcome aboard show at 7:45. Despite just 1 show, there was plenty of seating available in the Coral Theater. Carly introduced the Activities Manager Betty and the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers performed one number. The featured act was comedian David Orion.

Roy

activities1.pdf

activities2.pdf

I am by nature a bit of an early bird, and when at sea prefer to rise about 5 and start the day with a 5-mile walk before breakfast. The Jewel has one of the smaller tracks of ships I've been on at 30 laps for my 5 miles. The walk did go well, and ended about 7 with a visit to WJ. I lingered in WJ until the time of sunrise, about 7:30, although a full cloud cover prevented any real viewing of sunrise. While the sun came above the horizon then, it never made it above the solid layer of clouds. Later in the morning I discovered it is almost possible to circle the ship down on deck (with a brief diversion to deck 6 around the bow). I will see if that really works in the morning.

It was a fairly subdued day at sea. There were 2 team trivia sessions. In the morning my team did fairly well, correctly answering 14 of 21 questions, although the winning team had 17. The afternoon session was a disaster with 7 out of 25. The youth were mostly tucked away in Adventure Ocean although they did seem quite excited around the ship with an afternoon scavanger hunt. A mens bellyflop contest was held in the afternoon and attracted a lot of interest although most of the contestants looked like better candidates for a 5k race. I never lacked for enough to do although many of the activities like the shopping talk and art auction did not draw my interest. In his noon update Captain James reported a forcast of smooth seas and calm winds for the remainder of the trip to Cozumel.

Today was the formal night on the ship. It was not extremely formal as the attire was split relatively evenly between Tuxes, Suits, Jackets, and evening gowns vs dress shirts with ties and less formal dresses. Most everybody looked very nice. Captain James also held his welcome aboard reception in the Safari Club between dinner seatings. He announced we have 2222 guests from 30 countries on board this cruise. When I returned to my room there was a lovely towel rabbit on my bed.

I am definitely not a night person. The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers performed "West End to Broadway", and while I heard most of the music I had a lot of difficulty keeping my eyes open. What I saw and heard was excellent and the cast deserved much better, but that is the way I am. A bit later there was a rendition of "The battle of the sexes".

Roy

activities3.pdf

Familygoboston, did you ever happen to catch the Jewel when it was in Boston? That's the last time I saw it before this cruise (I was docked right behind it).

My morning walk on deck 5 was pretty successful, despite the dampening of a morning drizzle. Since I was booked on a walking tour, I cut back my walk on deck to 3 miles (8 laps), and finished about 6:30. Internet on the Jewel is a bit frustrating as there is no wifi in our cabins, and it has not been very reliable in the public rooms. I tried to go online in the WJ at breakfast, and could not connect either there or in the Viking Crown Lounge.

We arrived at Cozumel about 8AM, one of 3 ships in town today. The Liberty of the Seas was right across the dock and the Carnival Triumph was nearby.

My tour was "Historical Walking and Shopping", and it was thankfully more history than shopping. We met our guide Patricio at the end of the pier and walked outside the pier gates where 2 taxi vans took us about 2 miles to the center of town. A couple of blocks into our walk Patricio stopped and pointed out a couple of houses. Cozumel is in the path of pretty regular hurricanes, and the original wood homes with thatched roofs were not up to the challenge. Modern homes are substantial cinder block structures and often suffer flood damage from hurricanes but much less structural damage. 2011 was not a bad year but one of the worst was 2004 with 2 massive category 5 storms but no loss of life. Patricio also told us that this is a divers paradise and has developed medical facilities to match with 10 hospitals having hyperbaric chambers with a total capacity of 40 divers. I hope they never need all that capacity.

As we continued our walk we stepped into a local house (which also appeared to serve as a B&B to get view of how a typical resident lives and to enjoy an iced tea made from some local flowers. Cozumel is near the heart of the Mayan territory the Island was a sort of Mecca for Mayans, with young person expected to visit here once in their lives. Like most of Mexico, it is a largely Catholic country and we stopped in the Catholic Church for a few minutes. It was a relatively plain sanctuary.

Our shopping stop was at a Tequila outlet. Samples were given out. A couple of blocks later we stopped at a bakery where we each got to choose 1 bread item, but no pressure to buy. The center of town is a rather large square with a clock tower. The current Cozumel population is about 90.000 and the primary industry is tourism.

Our final stop was at the town museum. There was also a shop there and Patricio gave us a talk on black coral vs the various imitations. At the museum there was a garden with a Mayan house, a small structure built of vertical staves lashed together and a thatched roof. There were artifacts from local life and industry, although it was quiet a modest museum. After the museum Patricio hailed 2 van cabs and we returned to the pier. I walked around the area a bit, returning to the ship a little after 12.

After a little siesta lunch came at the Seaview Cafe. a burger and fries. By this time a steady rain was falling. I went down to the WJ for coffee and ice cream, but still no internet, but found it at the Viking Crown Lounge. One of the football games was being shown on the Liberty's outdoor screen, although I doubt that many were watching in the rain.

We sailed away from Cozumen just about dinner time. All 6 were at our table tonight. One did a Mayan ruins tour and it was wonderful, except the ferry ride to the mainland was rough. The others did bus tours of the mainland and were pleased with them. Tonight was the Italian dinner. I enjoyed the Strawberry Bisque, Chicken Marsela, and Tiramisu.

The evening show was Los Pompos Gauchos, a drum and dance duo from Argentina. We lost the hour we gained just last night, and I retired early before the 70's Disco Party in Centrum, but did sign up for early disembarkation (8:30) with a long drive from Tampa.

Roy

activities4.pdf

planner4dayjos.pdf

I am by nature a bit of an early bird, and when at sea prefer to rise about 5 and start the day with a 5-mile walk before breakfast. The Jewel has one of the smaller tracks of ships I've been on at 30 laps for my 5 miles. The walk did go well, and ended about 7 with a visit to WJ. I lingered in WJ until the time of sunrise, about 7:30, although a full cloud cover prevented any real viewing of sunrise. While the sun came above the horizon then, it never made it above the solid layer of clouds. Later in the morning I discovered it is almost possible to circle the ship down on deck (with a brief diversion to deck 6 around the bow). I will see if that really works in the morning.

It was a fairly subdued day at sea. There were 2 team trivia sessions. In the morning my team did fairly well, correctly answering 14 of 21 questions, although the winning team had 17. The afternoon session was a disaster with 7 out of 25. The youth were mostly tucked away in Adventure Ocean although they did seem quite excited around the ship with an afternoon scavanger hunt. A mens bellyflop contest was held in the afternoon and attracted a lot of interest although most of the contestants looked like better candidates for a 5k race. I never lacked for enough to do although many of the activities like the shopping talk and art auction did not draw my interest. In his noon update Captain James reported a forcast of smooth seas and calm winds for the remainder of the trip to Cozumel.

Today was the formal night on the ship. It was not extremely formal as the attire was split relatively evenly between Tuxes, Suits, Jackets, and evening gowns vs dress shirts with ties and less formal dresses. Most everybody looked very nice. Captain James also held his welcome aboard reception in the Safari Club between dinner seatings. He announced we have 2222 guests from 30 countries on board this cruise. When I returned to my room there was a lovely towel rabbit on my bed.

I am definitely not a night person. The Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers performed "West End to Broadway", and while I heard most of the music I had a lot of difficulty keeping my eyes open. What I saw and heard was excellent and the cast deserved much better, but that is the way I am. A bit later there was a rendition of "The battle of the sexes".

Roy

We get on the ship on the 16th. Can not wait. Have not been on that class of ship and look forward to exploring it.

Thanks for the great info! We sail on the 26th and cannot wait! We also like to walk for exercise and we would only use the treadmills in the gym if it were raining outside. Which deck would you recommend for the longest uninterrupted walk?

Thanks for the great info! We sail on the 26th and cannot wait! We also like to walk for exercise and we would only use the treadmills in the gym if it were raining outside. Which deck would you recommend for the longest uninterrupted walk?

I tend to recommend deck 5. Uninterrupted is a matter of opinion. If you go all the way around you will have to climb about 19 steps to the bow and back down. That is about an 8-minute circle. If you start starboard on 1 side and walk around the back to the bow on the opposite side that's about 6 minutes each way. The "jogging track" on deck 12 is a 3-minute lap. You may be able to extend it around the centrum area but I think that's a bit dicey.

Roy

We get on the ship on the 16th. Can not wait. Have not been on that class of ship and look forward to exploring it.

I think you will have a wonderful day to set sail tomorrow. Island lady, isn't the 21st a 4-night itinerary?

Roy

I tend to recommend deck 5. Uninterrupted is a matter of opinion. If you go all the way around you will have to climb about 19 steps to the bow and back down. That is about an 8-minute circle. If you start starboard on 1 side and walk around the back to the bow on the opposite side that's about 6 minutes each way. The "jogging track" on deck 12 is a 3-minute lap. You may be able to extend it around the centrum area but I think that's a bit dicey.

Roy

That is exactly our preferred deck too....just consider the the bow area a "stair climber".

Especially fun when the wind is howling as you cruise...having to make you walk a bit slanted as you round the bow! :D

Don't forget to wave to the camera and the officers on the bridge as you pass! ;)

I think you will have a wonderful day to set sail tomorrow. Island lady, isn't the 21st a 4-night itinerary?

Roy

Ummm...no. :rolleyes: Our booking says 5 night. :D Do you know something

I don't know?

This one does Cozumel AND Costa Maya.

The Radiance used to do these winter time Tampa cruises, until they sent it down

to do the Aussie/NZ trips. Now the Jewel has taken it's place.

The Jewel Tampa run does a flip flop each time. One 4 night...one 5 night...one 4

night...one 5 night...repeat.

Ummm...no. :rolleyes: Our booking says 5 night. :D Do you know something

I don't know?

This one does Cozumel AND Costa Maya.

The Radiance used to do these winter time Tampa cruises, until they sent it down

to do the Aussie/NZ trips. Now the Jewel has taken it's place.

The Jewel Tampa run does a flip flop each time. One 4 night...one 5 night...one 4

night...one 5 night...repeat.

I think its. 5 - 5 - 4 .

I think its. 5 - 5 - 4 .

Aww...man...are you going to tell me I am going to miss Costa Maya?? ;)

Steve at Tropicante in Mahahual would be extremely bummed out if we miss him! :eek:

But seriously, you are right.....it would have to be the 5-5-4 (sounds like a nice dance number ;) ) to make it come out even.

The happy cruisers on the 16th would then be a 5 nighter to have us re-take the ship on the 21st.

Thanks for the update. That is what makes you the "plus man" :D Me? I am still trying to catch up. ;)

Egg on my face. I was sure it was alternate 5 day and 4 day but I did check the book and everybody is right but me.

As we left Cozumel we entered a system of 35mph headwinds, which brought the effective wind to about 50mph. Most entrances to the deck 12 jogging track were blocked off. Deck 5 had the bow blocked off so my walk was from the bow around deck 5 to the opposite side bow and back again. Since the Walk for Wishes was scheduled I walked only 3 miles in the morning, finishing about 6:30. There was a 9am interdenominational service of sorts, a film by Joel Osteen from Yankee Stadium. It was not like being involved in a religious service but better than nothing. At 10 the senior officers (Captain, Engineer, Hotel Director) held a Q&A. I inquired about the recent Costa incident and if there were contingency plans for situations where the outside deck were compromised. Captain James confirmed that they do have such plans.

The walk for Wishes was held at 11:15. It was only 5 laps (just under a mile), and was quite a challenge with the stiff wind. There was still quite a large contingent of people doing the walk. I had expected the walk to be 3 miles and completed an additional 2 miles down on deck 5. In his noon update Captain James predicted heavy winds through the day but decreasing overnight. He also indicated we would pass under the Sunshine Skyway bridge about 4:30 in the morning.

We had a final session of team trivia at 1pm. We did reasonably well with 18 points while the winners had 22.

I am not really a football fan, but with the Ravens in the playoffs I could really not resist watching on the stateroom TV while in the process of packing. It was wonderful knowing that there would be another week.

We finished with an excellent farewell dinner. I had the strawberry and pineapple soup, roast turkey, Key Lime pie, and ice cream.

The farewell show was "City of Dreams", the best of the RCI productions I’ve seen so far, by the Royal Caribbean Singers and Dancers. Before the show there a series of clips of the early stages of the voyage was shown.

The attached Jewel Facts were given out at the morning Q&A.

Roy

jewelfacts.pdf

Archived