Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

The boat is more settled in the water however I would think its now lying about 80 degs from the upright level. I looked at the mast which is in the middle of the ship and that is still clear off the water so there is still area for movement to go.

Hope you can understand this

rgds

Yes, makes total sense. In other words what I am physically seein via the web cam in the dark IS an optical illusion and not a 180 degree angle.

Thank you:)

EDITED: OOPS!!!!! I mean 90 degree not 180 degree:( I am bad at math, sorry. Was thinking 1/2 was 180...duh..

Joanie

Just saw this - there was a captain on board who was a hero - Captain Bosio - he was on his way home to Genoa (on vacation).

apparently he co-ordinated the rescue while the coward raced to shore.

He has reluctantly stepped forward.

Nice to know that some captains know where their duties lie, even if they are not on duty.

Here's the link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

I seem to remember losing cell phone service REALLY quickly after leaving most ports. So in order to be having a conversation with someone on land, he had to be really darn close. I'm just wondering if the cell tower records can help put some of the pieces in place. Thanks!

Or the ship's own tower? Costa offers cellular at sea like most other lines.

Question -

Do you think they will be able to tell which towers the captain was using when talking on his mobile phone to the person on the island during the approach? If so, will they be able to use the cell towers to determine his exact position/distance from the shoreline?

(Assuming he was pinging off towers onshore, not the one on the ship)

I seem to remember losing cell phone service REALLY quickly after leaving most ports. So in order to be having a conversation with someone on land, he had to be really darn close. I'm just wondering if the cell tower records can help put some of the pieces in place. Thanks!

We have the facility at my work to be able to pin point where the transmission has been received through something called EISAC, which gives eastings and northings (Grid reference digits) to narrow down the location of the transmission however the there is an error factor and is not able to give a very good position, it might be a up to say a 2 mile error around a specific aerial site. It allows me to narrow down to a smaller area than say the firth of Forth if it can be narrowed down to the coast near North Berwick. It does have some benefit. To answer your question it is highly unlikely that that they will be able to state categorically where it was made from.

Sorry if this is long winded but its quite a theoretical subject to explain.

rgds

I guess the next time some loud lady shows up with a coconut drink at boat drill everyone will tell her to quiet down!

From what I read, though, Officers on the ship seem polished to passengers but aren't very nice to the crew. Let's hope the missing are found soon.

I still can't believe "Captain Vado a Bordo Cazzo!"

We just got off the Celebrity Solstice in December, as I remember, the life vests were in a container under the bed, instead of the closet as on the "M" class ships. Of course our empty suitcases would have probably prevented us from gettting them out in an emergency. In the future, We intend to make sure they are within reach. The Concordia tragedy has opened our eyes up to what could happen on a ship. We usually pay attention during the muster drills and do have an exit strategy figured out.

Doug

My theory is that it hit the rock, immediately began to take on water so it lurched to port. At this point it also lost power, but "power" either means only electricity and not engine power, or at some point, engine power was restored because we see the engines running in the night vision video.

Actually, that could be the one generator on the top deck that runs the emergency lighting, called the "donald duck"... it the story about the engine room situation it mentioned that eventually all power was lost except for this one on the top deck. The exhuast plume could have been that one generator.

It must have been on a gimbled mount, or can some of these generators operate on that severe of a list?

( I just searched for the article on the donald duck generator but could not find it... )

Found it - it was a post here... link below .. a translation of an Italian newspaper article

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32008652&postcount=2378

Question for those of you more familiar with the insurance angle. I've see it mentioned that Carnival/Costa has 'self-insured' for some things. What does that even mean? Isn't that like saying it's not insured at all?

If I say I 'self insure' my car then what I'm saying is that if I get into an accident, I'm personally responsible for whatever injury and/or damage I may cause to persons or property and that my checking/savings account is in for a rude awakening.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. Self insurance can either be a very high deductible, or no insurance at all.

I believe a ship of this size would not be in a position to self insure the passenger hazard nor the property damage. However, due to expense it's quite likely that they self insure their business interruption.

The business interruption is not only expensive but very hard to adjust. You have to calculate earnings lost on not only this cruise, but future cruises on this ship as well as how other ships in the same fleet would be affected. Nighmare for sure.

Lots of people self insure their vehicles when they choose not to carry collision insurance. Again, due to expense. You decide to take the chance, based on your history of being a good driver, and the law of averages, that if in a accident, you will not be found at fault, because if you are, you will be responsible for fixing your own car damage.

I don't know exactly what this ship has/has not for insurance, this is just based on my knowledge of the product.

Most places demand you carry Third Party Liability which would cover off the other person's property damage and bodily injury in the event of a claim where you were deemed negligent. The optional coverages are your physical damage coverages to your vehicle. Sorry, had to edit in to add this, missed this on the first go around :)

You can have the most state of the art safety equipment and best designed ship in the world. If it is not used properly it is useless. Charts and auto pilot system that get ignored or overrode do no good. When a Captain is as negligent, arrogant and shows a total lack of concern for passengers and crew as the Captain of the Concordia did, You are basically on your own. This is by no means an accident this is criminal behavior at it's worse.

Hopefully this is not an accepted behavior through Costa and other Carnival lines.

Question -

Do you think they will be able to tell which towers the captain was using when talking on his mobile phone to the person on the island during the approach? If so, will they be able to use the cell towers to determine his exact position/distance from the shoreline?

There have been reports that they already have his cell phone records because they have reported who he called after the incident and how many times. Those records should include tower information.

As far as you losing cell phone service really quickly on your cruises, I would look into updating your roaming on your phone since all ships I know of know have their own cell towers. I know for me, on my Verizon phone, it was a simple update using *228 and chosing option 2. I would check with your carrier.

Tripped and fell?!?! Oh what a coincidence that the second and third in command did exactly the same. Poor things, prone to falling like that. ;)

Don't you just hate it when you accidentally trip into something that will save your life when you're supposed to be busy saving the lives of the thousands of people you've put in peril?

I guess the next time some loud lady shows up with her coconut drink at boat drill

everyone will tell her to quiet down!

My guess is that Loud Lady's coconut drink will contain zero alcohol until after completion of the muster drill.

In which case Loud Lady will be less loud and more attentive. :)

Alcohol sales will start once muster drill is over -and that'll be completed before the ship leaves dockside and sets sail.

Then your Alcoholic DODs will start, but not before. Then we can all get plastered!

We just got off the Celebrity Solstice in December, as I remember, the life vests were in a container under the bed, instead of the closet as on the "M" class ships. Of course our empty suitcases would have probably prevented us from gettting them out in an emergency. In the future, We intend to make sure they are within reach. The Concordia tragedy has opened our eyes up to what could happen on a ship. We usually pay attention during the muster drills and do have an exit strategy figured out.

Doug

I am also going to be more cognizant of my surroundings, exits, life vests, where the lifeboats are etc... on my future cruises.

Still in shock over this, and saddened deeply by those that were lost.

We have the facility at my work to be able to pin point where the transmission has been received through something called EISAC, which gives eastings and northings (Grid reference digits) to narrow down the location of the transmission however the there is an error factor and is not able to give a very good position, it might be a up to say a 2 mile error around a specific aerial site. It allows me to narrow down to a smaller area than say the firth of Forth if it can be narrowed down to the coast near North Berwick. It does have some benefit. To answer your question it is highly unlikely that that they will be able to state categorically where it was made from.

Sorry if this is long winded but its quite a theoretical subject to explain.

rgds

That was helpful, thank you! Oh well - I guess there will be other ways to find out (black box, etc).

In any case, the exact position of the ship should be recorded on the black boxes that were recovered, so we should know the ship's exact route at some point in time.

I was able to have a cell phone conversation in the middle of the Drake Passage (between Ushuaia and Antarctica, on Hurtirguten's MS Fram) so I'm not sure that him talking on a cell phone can really help saying how close to shore he was! ;)

Question -

I'm not sure about all cruise lines, but on Holland America they use Satellite Phones to communicate with the crew and other Officers.

I know because when we had our last Meet & Greet (Meet and Mingle) aboard the Zuiderdam in September 2011, we had a massive storm (read typhoon) hit us and one wave had us listing at 20 degrees:eek: (THAT was per the Cruise Director shortly after all the Officers in attendance phones started ringing like crazy and they ran from the Crow's Nest to wherever they had to go.)

We actually had 2 such massive waves that hit us during the one storm and I can safely say we had GREAT Crew and Officers on our ship!!

Later during the week the Hotel Manager had a meeting with some of us and we were able to ask questions of he and other Officers and I asked how their cell phones worked and that is when he explained that they use Satellite Phones because of the drop of Towers in Communication at sea.

But your question still is valid. Can they determine positioning during all of his phone conversations??

Joanie

I read this - a crew member actually predicted the Captain would do something like this! Costa Concordia Disaster Schettino

I don't see a prediction that this captain would do something like this. I see a CLAIM that the writer made this prediction in a prior post, then, in that prior post, I see a whole mess of bitching about life onboard ship.

Nowhere are the words "Crash" or "Costa" mentioned, nor anything talking about a captain who flaunts the rules.

As far as you losing cell phone service really quickly on your cruises, I would look into updating your roaming on your phone since all ships I know of know have their own cell towers. I know for me, on my Verizon phone, it was a simple update using *228 and chosing option 2. I would check with your carrier.

I get that. I was purposely trying NOT to use the ship's towers. I wanted to just use ATT/iPhone towers on land so I didn't have to pay a billion dollars. :)

There have been a couple of questions regarding 'command rooms' shore side to keep an eye on ships. There are some systems already in place but they have not yet reached the 'big brother state'

With modern communications nowadays it is possible for information to be sent electronically to head office, this allows them to do various things such as fuel ordering, food ordering , staff movements, passengers changes etc. There is likely to be the facility of maintaining a record of ships movements, (moreso with AIS nowadays), courses speed, alterations. They dont, as far as I am aware, have spy cameras on ships and are definately not able to take command/control of the ship. The area in the head office that gets this informtion are unlikely to be manned 24 hrs a day though.

If one of these super command rooms did exist and decided to take control there would be so many questions raised to the legality of such actions

hmm very complex to say the least

rgds

I get that. I was purposely trying NOT to use the ship's towers. I wanted to just use ATT/iPhone towers on land so I didn't have to pay a billion dollars. :)

Gotcha. I misunderstood when you said losing cell phone service. We avoid using ship towers too, $2.49/min is kind of rich for my blood.:)

There have been a couple of questions regarding 'command rooms' shore side to keep an eye on ships. There are some systems already in place but they have not yet reached the 'big brother state'

With modern communications nowadays it is possible for information to be sent electronically to head office, this allows them to do various things such as fuel ordering, food ordering , staff movements, passengers changes etc. There is likely to be the facility of maintaining a record of ships movements, (moreso with AIS nowadays), courses speed, alterations. They dont, as far as I am aware, have spy cameras on ships and are definately not able to take command/control of the ship. The area in the head office that gets this informtion are unlikely to be manned 24 hrs a day though.

If one of these super command rooms did exist and decided to take control there would be so many questions raised to the legality of such actions

hmm very complex to say the least

rgds

Wouldn't that essentially be the same thing as air traffic control?

Don't you just hate it when you accidentally trip into something that will save your life when you're supposed to be busy saving the lives of the thousands of people you've put in peril?
Yeah I totally know where you are coming from the amount of times I have fallen into a bar/pub.....Seems strange is never out though. I must have the same problem as the Captain and his lifeboats:)

Concerning the wall street journal video. First of all, the desk talking heads did not seem any more informed and/or articulate than most of the 'news' talking heads from Last Chance, Colorado.

Did anyone else notice almost the total absence of "Costa" in the four minutes? It was "Carnival" this and "Carnival" that, which must make some of the suits fairly unhappy.

Archived