Costa Ship grounded or sinking

cdamion

I know it's not Princess related, but we are all in the cruising community here. Costa Concordia is in trouble off of the coast of Italy and is evacuating passengers.

There is more info on the Costa thread if you want links to the news.

As a member of the cruising community I would want to know about it, so Im spreading the word.

More than 4,000 passengers and crew were rescued tonight after a packed cruise liner began sinking off the Italian coast after running aground.

Several British holidaymakers were on the Costa Concordia which had left port at 7pm for a seven-day Mediterranean Cruise - but within two hours of leaving port, it ground to a halt in the sea with a major electrical fault.

Coastguards were immediately dispatched to the scene near the island of Giglio, off the Tuscan coast, as terrified passengers were ordered to put on life vests and man life boats as the 290 metre luxury floating palace began to list heavily to one side.

A major rescue operation was under way tonight after a packed cruise liner with more than 4,000 passengers and crew on board began sinking off the Italian coast

Coastguard officials confirmed that 3,200 passengers were onboard at the time along with 1,000 crew members and all had been evacuated by lifeboat and taken to the island of Giglio

Costa Cruises said in a statement it was 'too early to say what had caused the incident'.

They confirmed that 3,200 passengers were onboard at the time along with 1,000 crew members and all had been evacuated by lifeboat and taken to the island of Giglio where emergency accommodation had been prepared for them.

If you have ever toured the bridge of a modern cruise ship, you have been shown all of the latest equipment that is available to the ship's officers and crew to assure that such "accidents" do not happen.

However, it is impossible to totally remove the human from the equation.

To have run aground in a modern cruise ship is only virtually impossible. If the officer on duty and the duty staff totally ignore their electronic depth gauges, radar, and do not make regular visual sightings; this kind of "accident could only have happened if the ship's entire steering and propulsion system had failed.

The investigation of this incident will be very interesting and might very well lead to criminal indictments if malfeasance is proved since it is reported that deaths have occured.

Really sad - and most unfortunate! It seems to have been a rough week for cruise ships in general. This today, and on January 7, the MSC Poesia ran aground in the Bahamas. That ship was pulled off the reef later that evening, but I'm afraid the outcome may not be so good for the Costa Concordia. From the news reports and photos, it looks to have been a beautiful ship!

Oh my goodness. That is scary. I wonder what the details will be on why this happened. It looks like most were safe. Are there two confirmed deaths? I wonder what the circumstances were.
Cruise Critic just posted on FB that there are six known dead. The ship hit a reef and started sinking quickly. Some people jumped directly into the water and helicopters with searchlights are still around the ship.

article-2086527-0F73CDE400000578-704_636x347.jpg

A major rescue operation was under way tonight after a packed cruise liner with more than 4,000 passengers and crew on board began sinking off the Italian coast

By 1.20am local time, this had been virtually completed and officials said that the liner was listing at an angle of 20 degrees but it was not in danger of sinking.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086527/Cost-Concordia-Massive-evacuation-underway-cruise-ship-starts-sinking-Italian-coast.html#ixzz1jOsaBOgJ

I don't know how to link it, but there is a picture on Cruise and Blog Radio's Facebook page that makes it look like she is now at about an 85 degree angle with half the bridge underwater.

Very very dark pic though.

Here's a link: http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383642_10150541076375513_144779440512_8980686_1381618645_n.jpg

Sad sad situation.

I don't know how to link it, but there is a picture on Cruise and Blog Radio's Facebook page that makes it look like she is now at about an 85 degree angle with half the bridge underwater.

Very very dark pic though.

Here's a link: http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/383642_10150541076375513_144779440512_8980686_1381618645_n.jpg

Sad sad situation.

Oh my... :( That certainly looks like the front balconies sticking out of the water. Maybe she'll be salvageable?

Thoughts and prayers are with the families who have lost loved ones and for the passengers and crew on this cruise. What a frightening experience, one that I cannot even begin to imagine. Even with the most modern of equipment "stuff happens".

Just heard the report on BBC World News (airs at 12:30 am on local PBS station). This is only speculation on my part as they didn't specifically say this, but the way they laid out the sequence of events seemed to imply that the ship began listing and taking on water first and then may have been intentionally run aground on that little island. They spoke with a crew member over the phone who said he had jumped overboard when the ship was still 400 m away from shore.

We had just heard on our news that 6 people have been killed or missing. Apparently quite a few panicked and jumped overboard. It apparently happened around 9pm after leaving the port of Savona.

I do feel for everyone on board as it would be a frightening experience.

Jennie

Archived