Costa Ship grounded or sinking

cdamion

The photos that Shogun included show a huge gash along the port side of the hull under the waterline, with a monstrous impacted boulder. Meanwhile footage shows the ship listing to the startboard side and ultimatly settling to the bottom and resting on that side. Is it just me or isn't that counter-intuitive? Wouldn't the weight of the water inside the hull, and the rock, tend to force a port side list? Please help me undertsand this. Thank you.

My condolences to all the passengers and crew of the Concordia and their families. This is a terrible, terrible tragedy.

I read a report that the Captain of the vessel is stating that they were 300 meters from the rocks and hit a rock on the portside of the ship that was not on the nautical charts. This rock was approximately 800 meters from the entrance to the harbor of Giglio island. The Captain stated he then kept going in an attempt to make it to the harbor, but had to turn the ship to try to get into the harbor. This turn shifted the center of gravity of the ship to the starboard side and the ship began to list starboard after this turn. This would explain why the ship lies submerged on the starboard side, but the gash in the hull is on the portside.

I cannot verify if this report is accurate or not. Just what I have read.

Hi All

No pilot on board as ship was cruising not entering or leaving port,

Captain and one other held by police, which is normal, does not mean he

has done anything wrong.

Captain says his charts showed he was in safe deep water,

other reports say ship was 4 miles from where it should have been

truth will come out in time,

reports say 70 folk missing however these might be people who were rescued and taken to main land, but divers are going cabin to cabin to check

yours Shogun

CNN is just reporting that the Captain has been arrested and is being investigated for manslaughter and abandoning ship.

CNN may be getting ahead of itself. This seems very early in the investigation to be arresting anyone. They are still looking for survivors on the ship. No cause of the accident will be determined for some time to come. Many other news agencies are reporting that the Captain and another senior officer have been "detained" or "held" for questioning. That would not be unusual in this situation.

CNN may be getting ahead of itself. This seems very early in the investigation to be arresting anyone. They are still looking for survivors on the ship. No cause of the accident will be determined for some time to come. Many other news agencies are reporting that the Captain and another senior officer have been "detained" or "held" for questioning. That would not be unusual in this situation.

Perhaps, but if initial reports of the delay in issuing a mayday and that the Captain abandoned his post and exited the ship prior to passengers turn out to be accurate it would follow there is likely criminal liability.

Perhaps, but if initial reports of the delay in issuing a mayday and that the Captain abandoned his post and exited the ship prior to passengers turn out to be accurate it would follow there is likely criminal liability.
The Captain has already been arrested for abandoning the ship and manslaughter. They sure didn't waste any time and must have clear-cut evidence.

Hi All

passengers say that they were just sitting down for diner so time of the first bang is a little after 8.00pm

if i am reading the track right the ship is well out at sea at this time

may be captain is right he should not have hit anything

u1_costarotasi.jpg

after the fist bang he turns the ship and heads for the nearest port

yours shogun

The Captain has already been arrested for abandoning the ship and manslaughter. They sure didn't waste any time and must have clear-cut evidence.
Let us also recognize that this is the Italian system of justice, where they arrested seismologists and put them on trial for manslaughter because they did not acurately predict the power of an earthquake.:rolleyes: We are NOT in Kansas anymore.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/21/world/europe/italy-7-go-on-trial-over-quake.html

Lastest pictures and information truly leave you speechless

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086831/Costa-Concordia-accident-Pictures-cruise-ship-sinking-coast-Italy-Titanic-like-scene.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Captain and first officer arrested as up to 70 cruise passengers missing and three dead as survivors tell of 'chaotic evacuation'

Passengers tell of 'chaos' as crew members said 'go back to your cabins'

Survivors leapt for their lives into the icy sea as the liner rolled onto its side

Captain of the ship in custody with another crew member

Boat was 'four miles off course' when it hit rocks

Bodies of two French passengers and a Peruvian crewman recovered

One victim, 65, died from heart attack following shock of cold water

Liner had listed so badly 'lifeboats had difficulty being launched'

Sorry Pam, but you are not correct. It is standard procedure in Italy to arrest the Captain, or bus driver, or train driver etc after any sort of incident. Questions are asked later. The Captain has NOT yet been charged with anything. So far there are only accusations.

Once the FACTS are known then charges will be brought, if appropriate and provable.

Sorry Pam, but you are not correct. It is standard procedure in Italy to arrest the Captain, or bus driver, or train driver etc after any sort of incident. Questions are asked later. The Captain has NOT yet been charged with anything. So far there are only accusations.

Once the FACTS are known then charges will be brought, if appropriate and provable.

I'm just repeating what a major TV station posted. That was the headline to the news story. It was a CNN article so the error is theirs. I know we shouldn't believe everything we read or hear on the news but the media has an obligation to double-check their facts. :)

I'm just repeating what a major TV station posted. That was the headline to the news story. It was a CNN article so the error is theirs. I know we shouldn't believe everything we read or hear on the news but the media has an obligation to double-check their facts. :)

I suspected as much, as you are rarely wrong. They certainly do need to check their facts. Unfortunately others are reporting stories from a couple of UK newspaper websites, one of which is the lowest of the low, and the other not far above it. Even more unfortunate is people taking what is being said in those papers as gospel.

although a tragic event, and human nature dictates we need someone to blame I really wish people would lay off the speculation until the truth is known. Then they can have their free for all blaming sessions with armchair Captains telling everyone what they would have done.

Yes, the whole thing about him leaving before the last of the passengers were off could be because that is what the rescuers told them to do. For example, if some of them are in a difficult place to access, does the coast guard wait to ask the captain to please get off? The question was, did he leave of his own motivation, or did someone ask/tell him to?

Hi All

I am going to tell you a story you will have to wait and see if its true

A junior officer programmes the auto pilot and makes a small error,

The ship sails off on the wrong course, the officer of the watch spots error after a few hours and calls the captain, captain sees the problem, so does he speed up and plot a new route back onto the right course, may be arriving late into port, costing lots of money, or does he seeing a short cut and not knowing of any danger takes his ship between two islands, not being a main shipping lane charts not so detailed he hits a rock, knowing he is in trouble and a night time trying to get 4000 folks of a ship at sea is risky, also ship might sink in deep water, heads for the nearest port and shallow water, better chance of rescue for the passengers and if ship settles in shallow water ship can be fixed, port has harbour entrance on wrong side so swings ship around in doing so the water in the flooded ship moves to one side the ship keels over and is stuck, no choice but to abandon ship were she is, after a few hours ship settles on her side.

yours Shogun

Archived