Off topic but: Thousands rescued as cruise ship runs aground.

There's nowhere to put this news here, but thought it was of general interest.

From ABC

More than 4,000 people are being evacuated from a large Italian cruise ship which has run aground on a sandbar off the Italian coast.

Authorities say there are no immediate reports of injuries among the 3,200 passengers and 1,023 crew.

Those on board are being evacuated to a nearby island by lifeboats and other ships in the area.

The ship, the 290-metre-long Costa Concordia, was on a Mediterranean cruise and had set off from the port of Civitavecchia near Rome when it got into difficulties..............

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-14/thousands-evacuated-after-cruise-ship-runs-aground/3772742

Costa Concordia is a variant of the Carnival Destiny class. A very new ship. Unfortunately it says people are not following advice and are jumping into the water on their own accord rather than attending mustering stations. If people follow safety instructions they should be ok but when they do things on their own without authorisation it causes danger to themselves and others.

How frightening - an accident at sea at night in a non English speaking ship is my greatest fear, when cruising.

Cruise reviews on this ship should be compulsory reading. One said they didn't have their safety drill until near the end of the cruise.

How horrible for everyone on board, it would have been a very scary situation to be in. For the many thousand who are currently on cruise ships or have cruised this disaster will no doubt have much heartfelt concern for those passengers involved and will be feeling how lucky we all are it didn't happen to us.

I just hope the power failure on this ship wasn't due to someone illegally taking on a kettle or using their own iron when the conditions of travel say they cannot be bought on board! It can happen as I have read on an earlier topic.

From the looks of it, the ship is now docked. Could it be that they've done what they did with Costa Europa when she was damaged and deliberately listed the ship so the damaged part of the hull (assuming there is a damaged part of the hull) is out of the water to avoid more water coming on board?

I hope this was not the ship that P&O may have been getting.
It's not even 6 years old (too new for P&O Australia). I hope they manage to get everyone off. Apparently with the ship tilting so much, it's difficult to get the last 150 people (or so) off the ship.

From the looks of it, the ship is now docked. Could it be that they've done what they did with Costa Europa when she was damaged and deliberately listed the ship so the damaged part of the hull (assuming there is a damaged part of the hull) is out of the water to avoid more water coming on board?

I dont think its docked, large 165 foot gash, and it was confirmed shes capsized http://mikeyscruiseblog.com/2012/01/13/breaking-news-costa-concordia-rams-into-pier-killing-2/

It's so ironic, I have been watching the recorded series of Cruise Ship Diaries featuring the Costa Serena and they are constantly saying the captain of this ship at the time, Guiseppi Russo, was noted for his expertise in manouvering the ship into tight spaces, and constantly having safety drills.

Wonder if they'll find out what really happened to the Concordia. It's just devastating, with the lost of life increasing.

Archived