Help, will we arrive in time for departure?

dadams81

We're booked on the Allure of the Seas on 3/11 (JetBlue going from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale at 9:40a and to arrive at 1:11p) and while cruising (giggle) the boards this evening, I saw something about a 90-minute rule?

Honestly, this is the first time I've heard about this type of thing. The prices for flying have been the highest I've seen in a while and this is the best deal we could find. We called RCI and they said that they recommend us get down there by 1:30p (which technically we are).

Questions:

Are we cutting this to close from airport to ship?

Would it be worth getting an earlier flight? Keeping it in mind, it'd cost $400 to cancel the flights and then probably another 200+ per person to get new flights.

How long does it take from the airport to the ship?

How strict are they with the rule? Has anyone personally ever been turned away, or have you been able to get on after the 90 minutes.

We're booked on the Allure of the Seas on 3/11 (JetBlue going from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale at 9:40a and to arrive at 1:11p) and while cruising (giggle) the boards this evening, I saw something about a 90-minute rule?

Honestly, this is the first time I've heard about this type of thing. The prices for flying have been the highest I've seen in a while and this is the best deal we could find. We could RCI and they said that they recommend us get down there by 1:30p (which technically we are).

Questions:

Would it be worth getting an earlier flight? Keeping it in mind, it'd cost $400 to cancel the flights and then probably another 200+ per person to get new flights.

How strict are they with the rule? Has anyone personally ever been turned away, or have you been able to get on after the 90 minutes.

The airport is within 1/2 mile of Port Everglades. If you are not delayed by weather or some other situation, like mechanical problems etc. you should be able to get to the ship quickly! If you are delayed or see problems, notify the cruise line of the situation, sometimes they can wait a few minutes to leave. Be sure to have their office number with you, and any contacts they suggest in case of problems!!! If it is close in time, grab a taxi!! There are buses and shuttles also. I think you will be O.K. Bon Voyage!!

We're booked on the Allure of the Seas on 3/11 (JetBlue going from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale at 9:40a and to arrive at 1:11p)...

Flying from Boston in March. Wow. In a perfect world, things work perfectly. You better hope this is one of those occasions. ;)

Sorry, kidding aside, I would never in a million years cut it this close. Some may tell you you're going to be fine, but there is no wiggle room whatsoever in the event of a mechanical failure, weather-related delay, airport issues, etc. etc.

By the way, I don't believe the ship will wait for you unless RCI has arranged your airfare. Can you imagine how much that delay would cost them?

If there is any delay in the flight, or in getting your bags, or in your land transportation, you stand an excellent chance of missing your cruise.

There is NO WAY IN HADES that I would book a flight that has a scheduled arrival of 1:11 P.M. for a 5 P.M. departure.

You MUST be checked in by 3:30.

I always arrive in my port of embarkation the day before.

March is still a time of many weather-related delays. Even if you don't have snow in YOUR city, if your plane is coming from an area of bad weather, it may not arrive on time for your departure.

Did you book everything on your own, or did you use a travel agent?

More research is needed before you book flights if you are unfamiliar with a method of travel, such as cruising. As we all know, in this day of nonrefundable fares and fees for everything, you have to be very sure before you purchase plane tickets.

As you will soon hear, there is no way a ship is going to wait for you.

They have to have a list to the United States Customs Service,

90 minutes before they leave, and YES they leave on time.

If there is a hurricane, like last year, the boat will leave early.

But it is fun watching people running down the pier, waving their hands.

Like the captain is going to stop, back up and get them.

So just remember, you must board 90 minutes before the ship leaves.

Sorry

:rolleyes:

Sorry

No, you must be CHECKED IN at the pier by the 90 minutes-before-departure point.

:rolleyes: back at you.

I've never flown Jet Blue but if I understand their website, you would only see a $100 penalty for changing flights. For a $100 per person, I would change the flights and fly in Saturday night or at the very least take the 6:30 am flight. For me I would spend the $100 pp to not worry about missing the ship for the next couple of months. Weather delays would not be unexpected during March.

Day of cruise?! Eek! We try to fly in 2 days prior... One day prior is typically the norm but we had a scare flying to ft lauderdale last feb. our flight was cancelled and no sign when we could get out due to a blizzard so we drove 17 hours straight and made it at noon the day of the cruise! Never again!

Sorry

No, you must be CHECKED IN at the pier by the 90 minutes-before-departure point.

:rolleyes: back at you.

Sorry I thought that was the same.

Honestly, this is the first time I've heard about this type of thing. The prices for flying have been the highest I've seen in a while and this is the best deal we could find. We called RCI and they said that they recommend us get down there by 1:30p (which technically we are).

Questions:

Yes, you are cutting it close. One delay, such as a late take off and your done. As others have posted you do take a chance by not flying in the day before. If you must fly in the same day change that flight to the FIRST one out.We flew on Jet Blue from Boston to FLL, taking the first flight out the day before our cruise. By noon flights were cancelled because of a storm, with high winds. This was in Oct. Always book that first flight in case of a problem as there are others JB flights after that first one. I "have read" that if Jet Blue cancells a flight, you are on your own as they will not get you on any other airline, because they are independent. ;)

If you are okay with possibly missing the ship's departure and having to meet up with the ship at your own expense (it sounds like you made your own air arrangements) at the next port,then keep the flight that you have. As others have stated, delays happen, particularly if you are flying from a cold weather state in March.

Sorry

I live in South Florida and have never seen a hurricane in March.

You will be fine, it's a short taxi ride from the airport to cruise terminal. You should have more than enough time as long as you leave Boston on schedule or at least close to schedule. As soon as you get your luggage head to the taxi stand.

Questions:

In light of Costa ship sinking today: be grateful you are sailing from the U.S. where there is the 90 minute rule - enabling you to take part in the muster drill. This past summer, for a Med. cruise departing Barcelona, we were so delayed getting to the ship (long story but never again!) that we actually boarded after muster drill. I do remember that someone from the ship handed us an instruction sheet as we raced across the pier to board the ship, but then we put it in the desk drawer in the cabin without ever reading it.

Langley Cruiser: it is a fallacy that they will hold the ship for you if you purchase air from RCI. They will assist you at the airport and arrange for you to get to the next port - but no, they don't hold the ship. I don't know if they can waive the 90 minute rule in the U.S.

You will be fine, it's a short taxi ride from the airport to cruise terminal. You should have more than enough time as long as you leave Boston on schedule or at least close to schedule. As soon as you get your luggage head to the taxi stand.
That is so wrong.:eek::eek::eek:

hedge your bet Get Travel Insurance .You should be fine.Just make sure it cover air delays.

Most travel insurance policies don't consider a flight delayed until 4 hours after scheduled departure time, so that would not work in this case

My recommendation is this.

That morning, there are two flights that leave before yours. Each one of those flights still has a large amount of availability. I have two suggestions for you.

(I only fly Jetblue and am very familiar with their policies)

1. You can show up that morning in time to take the 6:10am flight. If they can get you on that flight, they will do so free of charge. If not, ask to be put on the 7:30am flight. You can always check the flights the night before to see the amount of availability that still remains which will give you a better idea of your chances.

2. You can call at midnight the day you are scheduled to depart and switch your flights to the earlier flight for only $40 per person. At least its a guarantee you are booked on the flight and will get there in plenty of time.

Good luck!

You will be fine IF, and only IF the flight leaves on schedule. That's a huge IF!! Never in a million years would I chance it!

teddie

I would never risk a flight that close - since it's a later flight the plane you will be getting on will be arriving from ~somewhere~ so if it is delayed... domino effect!! Also - since you're doing Western Caribbean - if you miss the ship in Fort Lauderdale are you willing to lose 1/2 your vacation to catch the ship in Jamaica? To catch it in Labadee you'd have to fly to Port Au Prince then head over to Labadee... have no idea how you'd get onto the "compound" etc - way too much risk for my liking, especially in the dead of winter in the northeast

EVERY TIME I fly into FLL it seems there's never a parking space for the plane and we have to sit on the tarmac waiting for someone to leave - doesn't seem to matter which airline... Air Canada... Continental/United... Westjet... Delta... Charter flights... EVERY SINGLE TIME! That would kill me to be sitting there on the tarmac and being able to see the stacks of the Allure... so close yet so far away lol

My recommendation is this.

That morning, there are two flights that leave before yours. Each one of those flights still has a large amount of availability. I have two suggestions for you.

(I only fly Jetblue and am very familiar with their policies)

1. You can show up that morning in time to take the 6:10am flight. If they can get you on that flight, they will do so free of charge. If not, ask to be put on the 7:30am flight. You can always check the flights the night before to see the amount of availability that still remains which will give you a better idea of your chances.

2. You can call at midnight the day you are scheduled to depart and switch your flights to the earlier flight for only $40 per person. At least its a guarantee you are booked on the flight and will get there in plenty of time.

Good luck!

personally, I would pay the change fee and fly in a day before if at all possible. If that is not possible, I'd consider rebooking an earlier flight now and buying travel insurance that will cover if you are delayed. If neither of those will work for you, follow spoiledliz's seasoned advice. Unfortunately, your current flight booking is probably too short to be covered by travel insurance if you booked air independently. If you booked through the cruise line, buying the cruiseline's travel insurance ought to cover for possible delays.

No Way will you be fine:eek:.

Landing time is one thing; getting out of the plane and the terminal is another thing. Getting through the Port Everglades Security Gates is another thing.

The Cruiseline has to submit the passenger manifest 90 minutes prior to departure and no, the ship will not wait for you.

Take a much earlier flight or preferably come down a day ahead. You want to enjoy your vacation not be stressed out worrying about checking in on time.

Kathy

Archived