Entertainment changes on the Emerald

PescadoAmarillo

This sounds nice. We'll be on board on the 21st.

I'll look for her.

Could you post her website?

Sorry - I meant the 21st of January, i.e., tomorrow! You will be on in February, right? She's performed in Crooners several times, so if the crowd response is positive they will most likely have her in there on other sailings as well.

I don't know if we are supposed to post links on here, but it is leighcaramusic dot com

Pescado - thanks for the compliment - it's Leigh Hussman. I haven't posted her name on here before because I didn't know if Princess had any kind of policy about posting entertainers names, but since they are having an entertainer of the year contest, I guess they don't have a problem with it! Yes, she is quite talented, had her first gig as lead production singer on Carnival when she was only 20 - we are super proud of her (only her dad can take credit for the genes since she's my step-daughter). We are fortunate to have been able to take several vacations to see her perform, in 2010-2011 she was in Osaka performing at Universal Studios Japan and we got to go see her there, great trip!

When we were on board Antonio mentioned a couple who was on board till (I believe) February. Now I know who...

So glad you're enjoying yourselves. I like reading your little updates about the Emerald. Such a great ship.

-Andrew :)

There are three shows in the Princess Theater each night. Last night Motor city was shown at 7:15, 8:30 and 10:15 (I think). We went to dinner at 5:30, arrived for the 7:15 show at 7:00, and there were still empty seats at 7:15. I tried to figure out what was cut to shorten the show...the Supremes and Superstition for sure. When we left the theater about 7:50, the corridors leading to the theater on Deck 6 were packed with people waiting to gene for the next show. It was a huge log jam. So...we liked being able to get a seat arriving only 15 minutes early, didn't like having to race through dinner to get there, or navigating through the crowd on our exit. Also, since we don't really dance, and dislike participation shows, both Club Fusion AND Explorers now hold little appeal. We were in a hot tub by 8:30pm...not exactly what Princess would hope for, I think, to sell drinks. But, we are admittedly entertainment snobs; others may find that these changes appeal very much.
It doesn't appear that the changes addressed the issue with crowding at the former early show, now the 8:30 show. The 7:15 show is not feasible for Early Traditional diners and with two DRs being used for Early Traditional that is 1/3 of the ship. They need to allow at least an hour between shows to prevent those exiting the 7:15 show from running a gauntlet of people for the 8:30 show. We usually do anytime dining and eat at 5:30. Don't really like the idea of rushing through dinner but the 7:15 might be an option for us in April.

Can you give us an update on the music the bands play as you hear them. We love music you can dance to....none of this rapper or heavy metal stuff lol. I would love to hear how you liked them. Thanks so much.

Corinne

p.s. Were you not supposed to be on a cruise earlier on that I was going to be on...maybe the Baltic at the end of June...you were on the roll call originally and then had to cancel. I always call you armadillo lol.

"Music to my ears" (pun intended) Our son is a musician on another Princess ship, definitely not rapper or heavy metal. So many of the other cruise lines have gone more to "canned" rather than live music. I asked him about changes in entertainment, but so far he's only heard thru what I've told him here. I really appreciate hearing about what's happening.

centralcalicruzer, nice to meet another Princess parent here-I'll have to ask him if he's ever cruised on the same ship as your step-daughter.

In St. Thomas today with free Internet, so I will try to answer questions.

Andrew- YES! We're still with them.

Re: Baltic- no, that wasn't us. Wish it was though! Not yet been there.

Karen- not sure about cribbage. Will try to get by the library to find out.

Re: Leigh Huss(Hess?)man- yes, we've seen her a couple of times in Crooners, and, if course, in the production shows. Such talent!! She's amazing.

Ok, it's early days yet, but here's one person's take on the entertainment. Club Fusion is now strictly a music and dance venue. Explorers now holds the many game shows and passenger singing competitions (karaoke, rock star). The comedian Gary DeLena, who previously did at least two shows each cruise in there did one two nights ago...at 11pm.

There are three shows in the Princess Theater each night. Last night Motor city was shown at 7:15, 8:30 and 10:15 (I think). We went to dinner at 5:30, arrived for the 7:15 show at 7:00, and there were still empty seats at 7:15. I tried to figure out what was cut to shorten the show...the Supremes and Superstition for sure. When we left the theater about 7:50, the corridors leading to the theater on Deck 6 were packed with people waiting to gene for the next show. It was a huge log jam. So...we liked being able to get a seat arriving only 15 minutes early, didn't like having to race through dinner to get there, or navigating through the crowd on our exit. Also, since we don't really dance, and dislike participation shows, both Club Fusion AND Explorers now hold little appeal. We were in a hot tub by 8:30pm...not exactly what Princess would hope for, I think, to sell drinks. But, we are admittedly entertainment snobs; others may find that these changes appeal very much.

So...some good, some not. I think the real issue is that all those people in 6pm traditional dining, who typically had the biggest issue getting seats in the Princess Theater still have that same issue. It's the very early or late diners who now have two show times to choose from. But that wasn't a big issue for them in the first place.

Also, only one act in the piazza (jugglers) and no string quartet any longer. All themed parties except island night take place in Explorers.

I'll post again when I get free Internet.

I'm sorry to hear that so much is taking place in Explorers. In my experience, it is difficult to get a seat there and I have trouble with the line of sight. I enjoyed it when the 'game' shows were held in Club Fusion. I'm also sorry to hear that there is no more string quarter, and I presume other pre-dinner entertainment, in the Piazza. I'm not a big fan of jugglers and hula hoop ladies either.

I'm sure it will all be fine when I get back on the CB in October, and I'll have a great time, regardless of entertainment changes!

This was tested for two months on Caribbean.

I noticed when a group of dancers were discussing it,

they alternately referred to the ship as Caribbean and CB,

and not one jumped in to correct them.

Apparently, the abbreviation police are only here on cruise critic.

Probably no one jumped because the abbreviation for Caribbean Princess is CB.

I am mobile, and so can't search to see if this has already been discussed. Beginning today, entertainment format on the Emerald is changing. Shows (including production shows) are being shortened to 30 minutes, and will be performed three times each evening.

This reduces the quality of entertainment as far as I am concerned. Previously shows were 50 minutes long. Reducing them by 40% means 40% less entertainment.

Parties (such as country western party) will be held in Explorers. There will be two party bands on board.

The string quartet is gone (:(). Probably a cost saving to Princess, but they were always a welcome interlude in the Atrium and often put on a show.

Club Fusion will be re-purposed to be more of a dance club, with non-stop live or DJ music all evening. Also will miss having many of the participation events here. The TV screens were utilized for a number of the activities, from liar's club to trivia.

Some of these changes began the cruise ending today, but the entire "Anytime Entertainment" concept will begin in earnest starting with today's cruise. This is in response to survey comments indicating a lack of entertainment options at certain times in the evenings, and overcrowding in the entertainment venues. A team from Princess corporate is on board to help with the transition. I've been told that this has been trialed on another Princess ship (the Crown?).

To me this is a lessoning of the cruise experience on Princess.

Last night's Beatle Maniacs shows were also 30 minutes long. Frankly, 30 minutes of their music is not enough...we went to the 7:15pm show and stayed for the 8:30pm show. They did do Imagine, Hey Jude and Twist and Shout, so we were on our feet at the end. Just missed the longer show.

7:15pm show was packed, intereting particularly since we didn't leave Dominica until 6pm. (BTW- Dominica was absolutely gorgeous yesterday. The sun does beautiful things to those hills.). We then went to see Leigh Hussman in Crooners. It was nice to see lead singer Scott and two of the dancers in attendance but the ship caste system was firmly in place...Scott sat and listened with the passengers; the dancers stood against the wall. I mentioned to Leigh that I've "talked" with her stepmom on this board. She was excited y'all are coming on board next cruise.

Then up to Skywalkers for 60s music videos and trivia night, then to Adagio for Jazzio in the Adagio, with steel drummer Trevor Cole accompanying. Wow. They were incredible, and the Adagio was packed...well, as packed as I've ever seen it.

Tonight is something very different. Rollin Jay Moore doing three shows in the Princess Theater instead of Explorers (again, there is basically one "show" each night, shown three times, always in the PT), but the Beatle Maniacsinstead of a second show, are playing on the open deck beginning at 9:30pm tonight (a "set", not a show, Tim Donovan keeps saying), then Fusion at 10pm, Deck Party at 10:30pm and Beatle Maniacs again at 11:15pm. VERY different. We'll see how it goes, but I'm hopeful it injects some life in the deck party.

The wierd thing about this is what it's done to dinner in the Michelangelo Dining room. People arrive early, at 5:15pm, waiting for the doors to open, the galley is slammed early, gets a bit backed up, people are racing through their dinners and then going to the 7:15pm show, which is packed, but then the 8:30pm show had plenty of seats available. It's like all these seniors have just moved up their evenings, and can now have dinner and a show and be tucked in bed before 8pm. It would be interesting to know how drink revenues, which, of course are the point of all this, are affected this cruise.

Grenada today. Not much planned for us, since we were up late last night and need to have energy left for tonight's party. Playoffs are also on MUTS- we'll probably hang out there until the Deck Party starts.

Many thanks to all on the entertainment options/changes. We will be sailing on Emerald 3/17/12. DH and I are not dancers, but I enjoy 80s/alternative rock and he enjoys 50s music. We used to enjoy the comedians in Explorers, but seems like there won't be much of that now. Have seen Motor City, but not the Beatles show. I also really enjoyed the string quartet in the Atrium - will miss them (not a fan of jugglers or hula hoops, either :rolleyes:).

Thanks for all the updates on the entertainment on board the Emerald.

We have sailed her twice before and decided to cruise her again in March.

We changed our previous plans because of family matters that we need to be home for and are looking forward to a relaxing cruise in the Caribbean.

I hope Beatlemania will still be onboard as well as the young lady in Crooners.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.:D

Online again- free wifi at the Divi Flamingo Resort.

We did not see the shortened What a Swell Party...we find that show pretty boring. Last night was the Ultimate Deck Party, but it was pouring outside (also ruining playoffs watching at MUTS) so the party was moved to Club Fusion. It was a last minute change, and displaced the Emerald Princess Orchestra, and we were fascinated at how that changover went: all the set up that usually happens behind the curtain was front and center with hundreds of spectators. The Beatle Maniacs (I'll call them...not the BMs but the maniacs to shorten iPhone keying) were setting up their gear, while the production team was running in with cords and power strips. I wondered how they were ever going to be able to calm themselves and focus on their performance, but they did. I guess when you're a professional musician that goes with the territory. As soon as they started playing at about 10:15 instead of the originally scheduled 9:30, the dance floor was packed. They played for 30 minutes, then Fusion played, then we had the Tim Donovan show, err, Deck party (I'm anxious to see how Lee Childers runs the party, because maybe I'm being too harsh on Tim), then the maniacs again until it all finished up around midnight.

Did we like the maniacs playing a set instead of doing a second show? I kind of did, but think the Deck party is absolutely the wrong venue. DH didn't like it. I would love to know which generates more drink revenue, the old deck party plus the second separate maniacs or doing it the way it was done. Certainly, the second maniacs show (actually, both shows they did on the same evening) was always packed; fewer people can see them playing in Club Fusion.

Interesting changes, these. It will be fun to see how it settles out. Tonight we're going to the shortened Boogie Shoes. There is basically one show done three times each night in the theater. Explorers is parties and game shows, Club Fusion is dancing. At the middle bottom of one side of the patter is the MUTS movie; the other side is the show in the theater.

Based on our interests, it does feel like less, not more, entertainment. But I have to admit that we'd never stay up past midnight for any deck party if the maniacs weren't there...so if enough passengers feel the same way, maybe the fact that we stayed until the end defines success. Even if we weren't drinking the whole time? I just don't know...

I am mobile, and so can't search to see if this has already been discussed. Beginning today, entertainment format on the Emerald is changing. Shows (including production shows) are being shortened to 30 minutes, and will be performed three times each evening. Parties (such as country western party) will be held in Explorers. There will be two party bands on board. The string quartet is gone (:(). Club Fusion will be re-purposed to be more o a dance club, with non-stop live or DJ music all evening.

Some of these changes began the cruise ending today, but the entire "Anytime Entertainment" concept will begin in earnest starting with today's cruise. This is in response to survey comments indicating a lack of entertainment options at certain times in the evenings, and overcrowding in the entertainment venues. A team from Princess corporate is on board to help with the transition. I've been told that this has been trialed on another Princess ship (the Crown?).

This all sounds interesting, hope it stops the mad rush and seat saving

"7:15pm show was packed, intereting particularly since we didn't leave Dominica until 6pm. (BTW- Dominica was absolutely gorgeous yesterday. The sun does beautiful things to those hills.). We then went to see Leigh Hussman in Crooners. It was nice to see lead singer Scott and two of the dancers in attendance but the ship caste system was firmly in place...Scott sat and listened with the passengers; the dancers stood against the wall. I mentioned to Leigh that I've "talked" with her stepmom on this board. She was excited y'all are coming on board next cruise."

Jeannie, she told me she meet you. She also said someone videoed the set, so we may actually get to see it before we leave if she gets it up onto Youtube soon. She is pretty excited, it seems she will most likely be performing in Crooners once per cruise for the foreseeable future. She is so fortunate to be able to do what she loves and get paid for it, it does make for some lonely times sometimes though!

The Beatle Maniacs (I'll call them...not the BMs but the maniacs to shorten iPhone keying) ...

Jeannie, you might want to get Dragon Dictation which is a free app that transcribes what you speak and then lets you edit the few mistakes it makes. Lots less keying for you :)

Beginning today, entertainment format on the Emerald is changing. Shows (including production shows) are being shortened to 30 minutes.

Will you be commenting on this on the post cruise survey?

In my mind, this greatly diminishes the entertainment experience on Princess.

I did not make it to last night's Boogie Shoes to see the new, shortened format. I nearly fell asleep at dinner, and barely made it back to our cabin. Busy days in port coupled with two late nights have taken their toll.

Tonight's options are 3 Fernandez shows (hypnotist), or music for dancing or game shows. I hate to be negative, but do feel like our entertainment options were cut by half. However (and this is big), your mileage may vary. Our interests are simply not in game shows or audience participation shows, and we really don't dance much. If your interests do fall along those lines, you'll be pleased.

The rest of the cruise? As close to perfection as a cruise can be. We're thrilled to be here.

Jeannie,

Thanks for sharing this info! Hope you cruise is going well!

I like this change, because it sounds like with more theater shows being shown daily...it would make it easier to find seats. Also having dancing in Club Fusion would be great. The dancing in Skywalkers always seemed to be more of the Rap music-crowd, which I am not one. I enjoy dancing to the live bands more anyhow.

Take care and keep safe!:D

We always enjoyed the fact that we could see a show in the PT and then go to see a comedian/magician/hypnotist in the EL later. From what I have read, they are only using EL for audience participation shows now? I think that will lessen the variety certainly, but probably ease the crowding.

I'd also like to know the answer to the movie question. We appreciate the afternoon movie and MUTS for that matter.

We just came from the 7:15pm performance of 'I Got the Music'. It ran just over 30 minutes long, but flowed perfectly. I couldn't even tell you what songs had been cut out. I did miss the Palonia String Quartet's accompaniment.

*Although we ha missed Boogie Shoes, we talked with one of the dancers who told us that the pole dance had been removed as part of the shorten-ing process. :-(. That was one of my favorite parts. He said that they had had too many complaints about its suggestive nature. I had also heard that British Pub Night had been cut a couple of cruises ago because of a similar complaint. Good grief. Do you think that someday we'll have G rated cruises and PG rated ones? People seem pretty sensitive...

Anyways, some more thoughts about this new format. Yes, if you want to have a choice of two shows every night, you no longer do. But there does seem to be a lot of entertainment throughout the ship...it's just that almost all of it is music, dancing, game shows and things like karaoke, rock star, and Princess pop star. One issue is that the Patter is so poorly organized. For example, if Evolution plays in Club Fusion at 7:15, 8:30 and 10pm, it's listed once in the Patter, at 7:15, although it does say the other times there. But if you want to do something at 10pm, and look at that time in the Patter, Evolution isn't listed there. Sometimes things don't make it into the Patter at all (i.e. an 11pm Rollin Jay Moore show tonight, or the Beatle maniacs at the deck party). *A TV listing-type schedule in the Patter would help enormously, with the venues down one side, the time in 15 minute increments across the top, and all the entertainment listed in that grid. Also, the monitors mounted throughout the public areas would be a perfect place to list the same information.*

As for seating in the Princess Theater, the 7:15 performance was full, I think, but it fills later, like around 7-ish, than it used to. We love that. We were getting tired of arriving at least 45 minutes early for shows...it seems this issue has been significantly improved. I didn't peek into the 8:30pm show to see how crowded it was, but a full theater at 7:15 means that if the 8:30 show is packed, the 10:30 show must be close to empty. I don't know how many people at the 7:15 show were really early diners or late diners.*

As for MUTS movies- I'll have to dig out the Patter from Day 1- will try to get to it tomorrow. I'm guessing the Pro Bowl might be one night, and certainly the Super Bowl will be another.*

Rick- I do have Dragon dictation. I just find it a little too onerous to go back and format and correct. Maybe I need to speak more clearly.*

Yes, we're on for the next cruise.*

I know the power hour drinks are now $3.99; I don't know exactly when they are offered, but it's earlier than it used to be.

Stay tuned for the MUTS info, but it may be late tomorrow before I can get on wifi, with all the check ins being done online for flights.

Archived