Entertainment changes on the Emerald

PescadoAmarillo

I am mobile, and so can't search to see if this has already been discussed. Beginning today, entertainment format on the Emerald is changing. Shows (including production shows) are being shortened to 30 minutes, and will be performed three times each evening. Parties (such as country western party) will be held in Explorers. There will be two party bands on board. The string quartet is gone (:(). Club Fusion will be re-purposed to be more o a dance club, with non-stop live or DJ music all evening.

Some of these changes began the cruise ending today, but the entire "Anytime Entertainment" concept will begin in earnest starting with today's cruise. This is in response to survey comments indicating a lack of entertainment options at certain times in the evenings, and overcrowding in the entertainment venues. A team from Princess corporate is on board to help with the transition. I've been told that this has been trialed on another Princess ship (the Crown?).

At first it all sounds like a another reduction in shows but since the production shows are now shown 3 times it actually might mean that they'll actually do a different show the following night which will be an increase in the total amount of entertainment (?).

Certainly the guest entertainers will have to change their routine on a different night.

Please let us know how it all works out. :confused:

I am mobile, and so can't search to see if this has already been discussed. Beginning today, entertainment format on the Emerald is changing. Shows (including production shows) are being shortened to 30 minutes, and will be performed three times each evening. Parties (such as country western party) will be held in Explorers. There will be two party bands on board. The string quartet is gone (:(). Club Fusion will be re-purposed to be more o a dance club, with non-stop live or DJ music all evening.

Some of these changes began the cruise ending today, but the entire "Anytime Entertainment" concept will begin in earnest starting with today's cruise. This is in response to survey comments indicating a lack of entertainment options at certain times in the evenings, and overcrowding in the entertainment venues. A team from Princess corporate is on board to help with the transition. I've been told that this has been trialed on another Princess ship (the Crown?).

Jeannie

Thanks for the info. Maybe I can actually get Allan to go if the shows are shorter. Those poor dancers are going to be exhausted! :(

What are the times of the shows?

I, too, am really sorry to see the string quartet gone. Is there now no music anywhere to just sit and listen to in the evening?

Looking forward to seeing you !!!

Thanks for sharing this, Pescado. It should be interesting to see how this plays out, and if it gets rolled out on other ships.

I'm really wondering what the wisdom is behind these changes. With only 30min shows, won't there be a lot of downtime? Maybe Princess is hoping to sell more drinks. I have no idea. And why use Club Fusion as a dance club when the Emerald already has Skywalkers? I thought Club Fusion was supposed to be the family dance/music venue.

We are on the Emerald on the 27th....can you let me know who/if anybody is in Crooners? We had a really nice singer/piano player last summer when we were on the Emerald and really enjoyed sitting and having a drink in a venue that didn't have music full blast. Also I would be very interested in hearing about what type of music the 2 bands play and where they are playing. Thanks for any updates you can give us Pescado.

Sammy Goldstein has been in Crooners for several cruises. Fusion is the party band; the new band is called Evolution. I tend to think they do party music too. Cruise Control has been in the Wheelhouse.

So far, for the first night, there are two Welcome Aboard shows in the Princess Theater and no shows in Explorers.

Sammy Goldstein has been in Crooners for several cruises. Fusion is the party band; the new band is called Evolution. I tend to think they do party music too. Cruise Control has been in the Wheelhouse.

So far, for the first night, there are two Welcome Aboard shows in the Princess Theater and no shows in Explorers.

When we were on the Emerald in November Barty Brown was in Crooners...he was great and had a large audience every evening. Looking forward to reading comments about this new entertainment format, pros and cons.

We will be on Emerald for the third time, March 27. We feel the one area Princess really lacks in is entertainment. Any change MAY be an improvement. On CB, in July, Crooners had a piano player/singer who did various types of songs. I do not like the "sing-a-long" type guys, but they seem to draw a large audience.

We will be on the Emerald for the first time this April. Very interested in your information. It would be good if you could post Patters after you return.

Can you give us an update on the music the bands play as you hear them. We love music you can dance to....none of this rapper or heavy metal stuff lol. I would love to hear how you liked them. Thanks so much.

Corinne

p.s. Were you not supposed to be on a cruise earlier on that I was going to be on...maybe the Baltic at the end of June...you were on the roll call originally and then had to cancel. I always call you armadillo lol.

We are on the Emerald on the 27th....can you let me know who/if anybody is in Crooners? We had a really nice singer/piano player last summer when we were on the Emerald and really enjoyed sitting and having a drink in a venue that didn't have music full blast. Also I would be very interested in hearing about what type of music the 2 bands play and where they are playing. Thanks for any updates you can give us Pescado.

Don't forget about Adagio, which is my favourite place for a quiet drink with music at a tolerable volume.

This sounds to me like a good idea as we missed most of the shows as we had later dinner(anytime dining). But just the way things worked out. Crooners bar only went in once but had a great crowd most night when we walked past. Hypnotist ,Beatles and root berry jugglers were all fun shows.

Stu k

PS we were on the 28th December sailing

I've been told that this has been trialed on another Princess ship (the Crown?).

This was tested for two months on Caribbean.

I noticed when a group of dancers were discussing it,

they alternately referred to the ship as Caribbean and CB,

and not one jumped in to correct them.

Apparently, the abbreviation police are only here on cruise critic.

Off topic but...

I hope you're still enjoying Antonio, Sutti & Flora.

-Andrew :)

I must say I like a few of the changes. In November, you had to go at least 30 minutes early to get a seat in the Princess theater. Earlier if you wanted a good seat. I liked the string quartet and the guy playing the steel drum and singing. It gave you wonderful music and a tropical feeling. I could do without juggling and the hula hoop lady. I will be anxious to hear from the cruisers who experience the new changes.

Sali

I don't know what kind of music you like, but I just saw on my step daughter's website that she will be performing some of her original music in Crooners on the 21st. She plays guitar, piano and sings - is one of the lead production singers. She also did a set of original songs a few weeks ago, during the New Year's cruise, were you on board then too? I'm hoping she gets to perform solo one of the nights during our cruise next week.

I don't know what kind of music you like, but I just saw on my step daughter's website that she will be performing some of her original music in Crooners on the 21st. She plays guitar, piano and sings - is one of the lead production singers. She also did a set of original songs a few weeks ago, during the New Year's cruise, were you on board then too? I'm hoping she gets to perform solo one of the nights during our cruise next week.

This sounds nice. We'll be on board on the 21st.

I'll look for her.

Could you post her website?

In St. Thomas today with free Internet, so I will try to answer questions.

Andrew- YES! We're still with them.

Re: Baltic- no, that wasn't us. Wish it was though! Not yet been there.

Karen- not sure about cribbage. Will try to get by the library to find out.

Re: Leigh Huss(Hess?)man- yes, we've seen her a couple of times in Crooners, and, if course, in the production shows. Such talent!! She's amazing.

Ok, it's early days yet, but here's one person's take on the entertainment. Club Fusion is now strictly a music and dance venue. Explorers now holds the many game shows and passenger singing competitions (karaoke, rock star). The comedian Gary DeLena, who previously did at least two shows each cruise in there did one two nights ago...at 11pm.

There are three shows in the Princess Theater each night. Last night Motor city was shown at 7:15, 8:30 and 10:15 (I think). We went to dinner at 5:30, arrived for the 7:15 show at 7:00, and there were still empty seats at 7:15. I tried to figure out what was cut to shorten the show...the Supremes and Superstition for sure. When we left the theater about 7:50, the corridors leading to the theater on Deck 6 were packed with people waiting to gene for the next show. It was a huge log jam. So...we liked being able to get a seat arriving only 15 minutes early, didn't like having to race through dinner to get there, or navigating through the crowd on our exit. Also, since we don't really dance, and dislike participation shows, both Club Fusion AND Explorers now hold little appeal. We were in a hot tub by 8:30pm...not exactly what Princess would hope for, I think, to sell drinks. But, we are admittedly entertainment snobs; others may find that these changes appeal very much.

So...some good, some not. I think the real issue is that all those people in 6pm traditional dining, who typically had the biggest issue getting seats in the Princess Theater still have that same issue. It's the very early or late diners who now have two show times to choose from. But that wasn't a big issue for them in the first place.

Also, only one act in the piazza (jugglers) and no string quartet any longer. All themed parties except island night take place in Explorers.

I'll post again when I get free Internet.

Karen, unless the cribbage is all checked out, there isn't any. I checked the library this morning.

Thanks for checking.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Did your package arrive or am I making a delivery?

(Offer is open till Feb. 3 :) )

Archived