Entertainment changes on the Emerald

PescadoAmarillo

and we feel just the opposite, after 49 cruises with Princess we have left them because of lack of dancing........

From what I've seen on any Princess ship dancing isn't all that popular activity lately. There are usually only a dozen or so couples on the dance floor at any event. I suspect if Princess really wanted to cut back on costs that would be one of the things to be the first to cut back on.

From what I've seen on any Princess ship dancing isn't all that popular activity lately. There are usually only a dozen or so couples on the dance floor at any event. I suspect if Princess really wanted to cut back on costs that would be one of the things to be the first to cut back on.

In the last couple of years it has been what they cut back on.............

. Also, we waited much longer for the show to start than the performance lasted. It was so late starting that they passed out balloons that the audience then blew up and began batting all around the theater. That actually lasted for about 15 minutes. Kind of fun, but extremely strange.

We have had ballons passed (thrown) out before the International Crew Show starts for quite a few years. It hasn't been due to our shows running late. The audience seems to enjoy batting them back and forth.

No increase of the showing of the movies, unfortunately. Just two showings and you had to get there VERY early to get a seat.

As far as dancing is concerned, they had dancing in the Wheelhouse PLUS Club Fusion and Skywalkers, so lots of music/dancing venues.

One more other "gripe". We went up to Skywalkers for some music and asked the DJ if he could do some requests. He informed us that the music is all preprogrammed in and he can only play that program. So why the heck have him? We left and went down to Adagio as the music he did play was too loud to talk over.

Where was the free internet in St. Thomas and any other ports on the Southern Caribbean itinerary? We will be cruising on the Emerald on February 16.

It was $4 for all day. When you get off the ship, go to the LEFT of the shops you see. There is a convenience-type store that sells the internet. You have to boot up your computer and then they set it up with that day's password. When you leave them, turn right and you'll see a bunch of tables with umbrellas. There are power cords that run among those tables that you can then plug your computer. The internet is MUCH faster there and a good place to catch up on your email and stuff. Be aware that you cannot access this server from the ship, you must do it onshore.

It was $4 for all day. When you get off the ship, go to the LEFT of the shops you see. There is a convenience-type store that sells the internet. You have to boot up your computer and then they set it up with that day's password. When you leave them, turn right and you'll see a bunch of tables with umbrellas. There are power cords that run among those tables that you can then plug your computer. The internet is MUCH faster there and a good place to catch up on your email and stuff. Be aware that you cannot access this server from the ship, you must do it onshore.

Thanks. I assume I can use the internet from my ipad.

Sammy Goldstein has been in Crooners for several cruises. Fusion is the party band; the new band is called Evolution. I tend to think they do party music too. Cruise Control has been in the Wheelhouse.

So far, for the first night, there are two Welcome Aboard shows in the Princess Theater and no shows in Explorers.

Sammy is good and lots of fun. I hope he's still on in November.

The balloon toss is to keep the audience occupied while waiting for the show to start. A lot of people seem to enjoy it and see how far they can send a balloon through the theater. They don't do it all the time or on all ships. It does make the wait time for the show to begin go faster.

No increase of the showing of the movies, unfortunately. Just two showings and you had to get there VERY early to get a seat.

As far as dancing is concerned, they had dancing in the Wheelhouse PLUS Club Fusion and Skywalkers, so lots of music/dancing venues.

One more other "gripe". We went up to Skywalkers for some music and asked the DJ if he could do some requests. He informed us that the music is all preprogrammed in and he can only play that program. So why the heck have him? We left and went down to Adagio as the music he did play was too loud to talk over.

I don't think there are any lounges on Princess that have music that's played softly. The show lounge, Wheelhouse, Fusion....there all loud.

PescadoAmarillo...

I'm hoping you can help me out.

Who is the Future Cruise Credit (FCC) Person & the Captain Circle Person ...onboard the Emerald Princess right now? Will they still be onboard in Feb/12? We're doing a B2B on the Emerald in Feb.

Do you have any knowledge on the Bon Voyage Experience? We are treating a friend to one in Feb on the Emerald Princess. It's booked to happen on the "connection day" between the 2 cruises in Ft Lauderdale. I'm not sure how that will work with us onboard already! :confused: If we have to do the "immigration thing" with the other B2Ber's how will we connect with our guest who will be boarding for the BVE? We'd like to do the Ship Tour/Lunch etc with him and the BVE Group! Do you have any ideas "who I should talk too" to sort this out onboard...during the 1st cruise of our B2B? The Princess telephone operators haven't been very informative on this so I thought I'd ask you since you are onboard the Emerald.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share with us.

Pat :)

Pat

I'm getting the names of the Captain Circle person (and will add the Future Cruise person to my list of names I'm getting) on Wednesday for the invites for the M&G. I was told I had to wait till February started to get the names but I'll email them to you as soon as I get them.

Pat

I'm getting the names of the Captain Circle person (and will add the Future Cruise person to my list of names I'm getting) on Wednesday for the invites for the M&G. I was told I had to wait till February to start to get the names but I'll email them to you as soon as I get them.

Thanks Karen that would be GREAT! :D

I'm a little anxious to see if we have to deal with "immigration" and How we are going to hook up with our friend for the Bon Voyage Experience on the "change over" day. We are booked for the 20 day version of this cruise...not the "two" 10 day cruises so I'm not sure if we will have to go through the immigration procedure on the connection/change over day??? Hopefully I can get some proper info and everything will go great without any mix ups!

Pat :)

Just back from the Emerald Princess and HATED the new entertainment schedule. We spent quite a few evenings in our cabin watching movies and even those were repeated over and over. There is no longer any variety. The set up was the same day after day and if you don't play trivia, there isn't much to do during the day.

Normally I don't have much to say about cruise directors, but I did get tired of Tim Donovan's lateness over and over before the shows in the Princess theater. I loved the Beatlemaniacs and could see them over and over as they are so good. But when Tim Donovan told everyone to scream, I left Club Fusion. I felt like we were on a Carnival cruise instead of Princess. I love to have fun and dance to good music, but screaming? Unfortunately we had E726 so we heard the music in Club Fusion every night until very late. I think this new model stinks and my questionnaire will reflect that.

I have the same thoughts.......... Help PLEASE PRINCESS

I'm a little anxious to see if we have to deal with "immigration" and How we are going to hook up with our friend for the Bon Voyage Experience on the "change over" day. We are booked for the 20 day version of this cruise...not the "two" 10 day cruises so I'm not sure if we will have to go through the immigration procedure on the connection/change over day??? Hopefully I can get some proper info and everything will go great without any mix ups!

You will have to go through immigration.

[

I sure hope this is a brief experiment that Princess is doing. When I sail in a couple of months, I want to see a nice 50-60 minute show.....not a little 30 minute teaser. I'll find time to go if they only offer the shows twice instead of 3 times.......arrrrrrgh.......Please Princess, don't tease us with these short shows!

You will have to go through immigration.

[

Immigration will be required even if the BVE was not involved.

Your BVE guests will be told what time to be checked in (probably about 11 AM).

If you speak with the Future Cruise Consultant on the first segment, he/she can work with you to find the best place to meet your guests.

I sure hope this is a brief experiment that Princess is doing. When I sail in a couple of months, I want to see a nice 50-60 minute show.....not a little 30 minute teaser. I'll find time to go if they only offer the shows twice instead of 3 times.......arrrrrrgh.......Please Princess, don't tease us with these short shows!

On the Emerald in Nov the shows were still around 40 minutes but I did notice & commented to my wife that there were some small portions missing from each of the production shows (and we're seen them all many times). It appears they were getting ready for the 30 minute reduced variety at the time.

On the Emerald in Nov the shows were still around 40 minutes but I did notice & commented to my wife that there were some small portions missing from each of the production shows (and we're seen them all many times). It appears they were getting ready for the 30 minute reduced variety at the time.

Princess seems to have shortened its production shows over the years even before this 30 minute show idea. The old production show "Dance" is about 55 minutes. Their new Bayou show (on the Coral and Island) is less than 45 minutes.

We were on the Emerald last year for the 20 day. Going through immigration was a breeze. Once all the passengers are off they take you as a group down to immigration & walk you through with your passports & paperwork. You get a new cruise even if you are staying in the same cabin & back you go onboard. It took well less than an hour.

We will be on again this year in March.

Princess seems to have shortened its production shows over the years even before this 30 minute show idea. The old production show "Dance" is about 55 minutes. Their new Bayou show (on the Coral and Island) is less than 45 minutes.

Like you said they've been shortening then so slowly I haven't taken notice until I recalled a few dance routines that were missing.

Something like boiling a frog by slowly heating the water. :D

CC host: Crissy Reid

FC consultant- Nikki Beare

You should have no issue meeting up with your BVE friends. *Just ask Nikki what time/where to meet her in turnaround day. She's the one who meets them and takes them around.*

Lee Childers is in now as CD. No change in the format, but band Fusion has left and XtaSea from St. Lucia has arrived. It seems at first glance that there's two bands playing party/dance music (Evolution and XtaSea); one band plus occasionally the orchestra doing ballroom (Cruise Control and the orchestra). *Lots of dancing opportunities now.*

Lee made one good change already. On the first evening he had Evolution play a short set in the Piazza. People won't seek them out on the ship without knowing who they are/what they play. This was a great way to introduce them. XtaSea played sailaway, so same thing there.*

No additional movie times at MUTS. It's still one show performed three times in the theater, music and game shows and theme parties in Explorers, and music and DJ in Club Fusion.*

We were THRILLED to see in yesterday's Patter that the Adagio pianist we had enjoyed for several cruises was back on board after one cruise away. Not to be: *last cruise's pianist is still up there. The Patter was wrong. We're not fans of the new guy.*

Barty Brown is back in Crooners. He must have gone home for the holidays.*

Hypnotist's show (Fernandez), we hear, is a joke. Doesn't lend itself to 30 minute format, which makes sense. 30 minutes works great for comedians, not for hypnotists.*

Not that we really care (there's always something to do), but if you, like us, like shows, the new format is a disappointment.*

Free internet on St. Thomas is on my iPhone through 3G.

CC host: Crissy Reid

FC consultant- Nikki Beare

You should have no issue meeting up with your BVE friends. *Just ask Nikki what time/where to meet her in turnaround day. She's the one who meets them and takes them around.*

Lee Childers is in now as CD. No change in the format, but band Fusion has left and XtaSea from St. Lucia has arrived. It seems at first glance that there's two bands playing party/dance music (Evolution and XtaSea); one band plus occasionally the orchestra doing ballroom (Cruise Control and the orchestra). *Lots of dancing opportunities now.*

Lee made one good change already. On the first evening he had Evolution play a short set in the Piazza. People won't seek them out on the ship without knowing who they are/what they play. This was a great way to introduce them. XtaSea played sailaway, so same thing there.*

No additional movie times at MUTS. It's still one show performed three times in the theater, music and game shows and theme parties in Explorers, and music and DJ in Club Fusion.*

We were THRILLED to see in yesterday's Patter that the Adagio pianist we had enjoyed for several cruises was back on board after one cruise away. Not to be: *last cruise's pianist is still up there. The Patter was wrong. We're not fans of the new guy.*

Barty Brown is back in Crooners. He must have gone home for the holidays.*

Hypnotist's show (Fernandez), we hear, is a joke. Doesn't lend itself to 30 minute format, which makes sense. 30 minutes works great for comedians, not for hypnotists.*

Not that we really care (there's always something to do), but if you, like us, like shows, the new format is a disappointment.*

Free internet on St. Thomas is on my iPhone through 3G.

Hi Jeannie

It sounds like at least these are some good changes .

I can't believe that one week from today we will be in Fort Lauderdale waiting for boarding on Monday! (It's snowing really, really hard here right now so I'm definitely in the mood to leave! :D )

Archived