First Time Crusie - Son of a Sailor

ElvisAndretti

My wife and I have booked a cruise on the Carnival Ecstacy on April 14, 2012. We wanted an itinerary that included Key West and not Mexico, this fit the bill nicely.

I've always been a road trip sort of guy, my father was an oil tanker captain and when he wasn't at sea we all piled into a VW microbus camper and hit the road. My father was of the professional opinion that anyone that got on a ship and didn't get paid for it should get checked out.

I'm afraid this kept me away for many years, but Alaska has bubbled to the top of the bucket list and before I commit to flying across the country and spending a week or more I thought it prudent to try something on a smaller scale.

I simply cannot believe that the Ecstacy is considered a 'smaller' liner, she's as big as my dad's last "Supertanker", at least in length. He had to go to a special school in France to qualify to command this thing! I can't wait to see it.

How hard is it to get to the bridge on a crusie ship? I would dearly love to see what that looks like now.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Princess and Holland do offer ship tours that include the Bridge -- but you have to pay for it.

On HAL it is offered just one time per cruise -- limited to a few people -- costs $150 per person -- lasts about 3 hours.

You could contact Carnival and inquire about a tour.

I know Carnival does offer this tour. Sign up at the Excursions desk early.

You could also write a note to be delivered to the captain asking, explain that your father was an oil tanker captain. Worse that can happen is that they say no.

My father was of the professional opinion that anyone that got on a ship and didn't get paid for it should get checked out.

My father, RAF airframe fitter and rear gunner, always held that anyone who voluntarily jumped out of a perfectly serviceable airplane needed to see the men in white coats:)

Archived