Tipping in Australia & New Zealand.

zebra

I would like help on this topic. Here in the States it is customary to tip 15% at any restaurant. Please tell me what is customary in your two countries and anything else we need to be aware of when dining. This will be our first trip to visit your beautiful countries.

Gratutities are prepaid...no seriously it is not that we DONT tip it is more that it is neither customary or expected unless the service is well over and above what would normally be expected...or you are in a high end restaurant..

We pay our staff well, weekend work in a bar or restaurant can bring wages of $40 per hour...they do not have to rely on tips to make a living wage. However if you have made a special request for something out of the ordinary then a tip would be a nice surprise.

Enjoy your time in Australia.:)

I also meant to say on the dining issue...

the first course is called "entree" if we are being posh or "starter" sometimes

the main meal is called "mains"

salad is served with the main meal not as a separate course before the main meal, in upper class restaurants you need to order vegetables etc as a "side" dish

coffee is served with or after dessert...in some cafes you pay the bill before you are served in restaurants generally you have to ask for the bill at the end of the meal

You probably knew all that but just in case..and in any case you're on holidays with us...relax and have a good time

In NZ the minimum wage is $13 per hour and this is what most waitstaff will be being paid. This isn't a lot of money but it's enough to provide a basic standard of living.

Most people in NZ do not tip ever. Tipping is thus not expected anywhere.

Very rarely restaurants will claim on their menus that service is not included in prices but in fact it always is - there are no exceptions since it's illegal to pay staff less than the minimum wage. You really only see this in places where tourists can be tricked into thinking they must tip.

You can of course leave a tip if you want to. We do so at places we eat at regularly so long as the service is up to its normal standard - 10% is plenty.

I would like help on this topic. Here in the States it is customary to tip 15% at any restaurant. Please tell me what is customary in your two countries and anything else we need to be aware of when dining. This will be our first trip to visit your beautiful countries.

Hi Zebra,

I agree with all of the above. If you are lucky enough to receive wonderful service or someone goes beyond the call of duty, you do whatever makes you feel comfortable.

More importantly, have a wonderful time in Australia and New Zealand. You won't be disappointed.

Don't forget to try our famous biscuits (cookies) - Tim Tams!!

Nicki

RKMW

If the compulsory tip is added because someone booked with an overseas TA they can always ask at the Pursers Office for it to be removed. There is no issue in removing it.

Sometimes they even smile when they do the computer adjustment to do it.

John

RKMW

If the compulsory tip is added because someone booked with an overseas TA they can always ask at the Pursers Office for it to be removed. There is no issue in removing it.

Sometimes they even smile when they do the computer adjustment to do it.

John

i know some people remove the tips but i made a statement that a US person paid his tips on the Sun Princess as their cruise was cheaper than what we pay

i know some people remove the tips but i made a statement that a US person paid his tips on the Sun Princess as their cruise was cheaper than what we pay

Yes - I have heard that US people have tips added, but I am not convinced that they always pay less than we do, particular on cruises on the Australian-based ships.

I am also not convinced that the added tips go to the crew as "tips". I suspect they go towards subsiding the overall wages bill but then again, I am a cynical bugger.

John

I absolutely believe they are divided among the service staff - one third to cabin stewart, one-third to dining room waiters and the other third divided among bar staff, buffet staff, head waiters and maitre d'. Before P&O stopped auto-tip, Zoltina-J printed an exact break-up.:)

The stewards and others must be receiving reasonable money or they wouldn't be on the ships. They will happily tell you that they are getting much more than they would working in a high-class hotel at home.

The stewards and others must be receiving reasonable money or they wouldn't be on the ships. They will happily tell you that they are getting much more than they would working in a high-class hotel at home.

Exactly. Last time our cabin steward told us he was saving for his own business. Most of them are separated from their families and children to make better lives for them eventually.

In Australia I tip wait staff in restaurants a few bucks if happy with service, likewise cabbies by the old 'keep the change.' eg. your restaurant bill is $65, give 'em $70 and say 'Thanks, keep the change.' They appreciate it.

I was recently in the USA and dropped a few bills in tips, for good service only, not as an auto gratuity as is expected. Some of the recipients looked a little shocked getting tips from an Aussie, well that was my perception anyway.

And on the ships? If service meets my expectations I tip the 'suggested' amount. If the service is not to my expectations I tell them so and my tips are 'adjusted accordingdly.'

Why tip for bad service? I don't and never will.

ALSO..I was told on a Princess ship by a senior employee, that the gratuities collected go into the Fleet tipping pool to make up wages across the fleet, NOT into the ship's tipping pool for that voyage. Anyone else heard that?

Just happened to see this thread. We have pre-paid gratuitites for Radiance Feb 12 Tasmania cruise, did so as part of a promotion (since the fare wasn't such a great deal it was at least something. Now I read that tipping is discouraged in Australia.

Well, that makes sense in restaurants etc and I appreciate the heads-up, but on an international cruise line wouldn't the policy on wages/tipping be the same?

We ALWAYS tip the recommended or above on cruises--we have never had a bad experience and find that the crew members universally work very hard to provide service--some are better than others and we reward that, but we have never not tipped.

Now I feel a duped by the TA--if the tips are truly not expected in Australia and if the crew is compensated to fill that shortfall, I don't mind still rewarding excellent service, but I don't to feel that I MUST and I have prepaid.

So I would appreciate clarification here--thanks.

Busplus1, I believe the Royal Caribbean ships (temporarily) based in Australia still use US dollars onboard and still use the prepaid gratuity system for all passengers, regardless of where they come from, despite it not being the norm here in Australia (those ships will be returning to other non-Australian ports).

Only the Australian based ships like Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess, the P&O Australia ships and the Carnival Spirit (once she arrives here) have no pre-paid gratuities and no onboard tipping.

Some passengers choose to tip their wait staff and cabin stewards (at the end of the cruise) but it is not expected.

I feel most regular cruisers have now worked out that "gratutities" are a wage subsidy and not "tips" as Australians understand..i.e. an amount of money given in exchange for service over an above what is expected.

I recently sailed on the Radiance and also prepaid gratuties which was a condition of anytime dining. I never remove the gratuties from my account since as stated above it forms part of the staff wage structure.

On ships based in Australia year round they have included this subsidy in the fare and so it does not appear on your account....that does not mean you have not paid it.

So on land in Australia and New Zealand tipping is not encouraged or expected in fact in NZ they may persue you down the street to give back money left above the bill. We really do not want tipping to invade our culture as an expected on every occasion thing..we like things the way they are (and by the way I worked in hospitality for years).

However onboard please understand what the charge is and why it is and just leave it there...the staff look after us very well..when in Rome and all that!

Archived