Dr. Phil & 20/20 Friday January 20

Cupcrazy

I actually thought it was a decent show. He let the couple take us through their story, and he (in my opinion) didn't try to sensationalize it. Since this was taped earlier in the week, we know a lot more today than we knew then. He didn't try to blame the cruise line, or malign the cruise industry as a whole.

We already know, from GMA's preview this a.m. of 20/20, that they will be taking a different angle on this story. I'm willing to bet that Geraldo's take will be interesting, too.

This Dr. Phil show may turn out to be the least damaging to the cruise industry.

I actually thought it was a decent show. He let the couple take us through their story, and he (in my opinion) didn't try to sensationalize it. Since this was taped earlier in the week, we know a lot more today than we knew then. He didn't try to blame the cruise line, or malign the cruise industry as a whole.

We already know, from GMA's preview this a.m. of 20/20, that they will be taking a different angle on this story. I'm willing to bet that Geraldo's take will be interesting, too.

This Dr. Phil show may turn out to be the least damaging to the cruise industry.

I agree with you. And thankfully these folks were experienced cruisers (60+ sailings); I think had these had been first timers, we would have heard a much different story.

Im sure I will get flamed and I know they went through Hell, but this woman has been on EVERY news channel. Trying to capitalize on her event. She also said no crew were helping yet then says that the ships photographer helped them down the ladder. :rolleyes:

It's cathartic for people to talk about harrowing incidents. A FLAME should be one of the icons we can attach.

I enjoyed watching the Dr. Phil episode today~it wasn't over the top. The couple he interviewed were very calm and strait forward with their accounts of what transpired. I do think mistakes were made on the Costa Concordia and I hope new policies and procedures are put in place with better checks and balances.

A few minutes into 20/20 and they are already talking about how there was no safety drill...but no mention of it being because some had just gotten on the ship in Rome and would have the drill within 24 hours. So it's not untrue to report there had not been a drill yet, but it just doesn't give the full story.

Funny how they only seem to have problems on Carnival. I guess ABC got some shut up checks from the other lines?

BTW, I don't want to sound like a monster, but as a hotel food and beverage manager, I understand overserving, but I also understand people need to have accountability. If someone gets sloshed and jumps ship it isn't only the cruise lines fault, if you can't handle your liquor, don't drink that much, let's face it, it's not like the bartenders are giving you free drinks until you puke.

ABC SUCKS!

A whole lot of "Carnival" name-dropping going on! :mad:

I know!!!! Did u notice how they didn't mention NCL when talking about the woman that disappeared off the Dawn, but were quick to call out Carnival like 5 times. This report was so anti carnival. 2020 is pissing me off!

That's it...fire all the crew and only hire people who don't drink....

And as for the working too much and getting no pay, if pretty sure that's all restaurant employees, maybe not to the same extent, but all waiters get paid barely enough just to cover taxes.

I like Dr. Drew better than Dr. Phil...but sometimes I like Phil...anyway...Drew just had that family I am sure everyone is talking about..and was kind about helping them with telling the story withoiut too much flashback..and just said great things about cruise industry...but that he felt the need to tighten up some things with these kinds of evacuation issues and legal international issues for personal safety and some health things...He said he loves cruising but had some health issues ...several in his party got sick on Windstar.,,he wrote as a doctor..and got no more than a kind of generic response, he did not get into specifics but as an MD felt their needed to be some improb=vement in some areas..so he just was great, put no individual line down...loved Cruises and the Industry..feels there needs to be tightening up of some things...i think this whole thing will lead to better safety for all...Sarah..good thoughts all...s.

Well, that was a hatchet job....I have few problems with the Costa part of the story.

But, to talk about something that happened on the Carnival Celebration? Sheesh that ship was sold four or five years ago.

And...when the talked about the Splendor...they had to show the pics of Spam.

I was surprised they did not show the Princess ship that caught fire a few years back.

And, when they talked of "drinks from the minute you board they ship" they showed the DOD with Carnival all over the glasses. Sure made Carnival out to be the Party ships again...

Funny how they only seem to have problems on Carnival. I guess ABC got some shut up checks from the other lines?

BTW, I don't want to sound like a monster, but as a hotel food and beverage manager, I understand overserving, but I also understand people need to have accountability. If someone gets sloshed and jumps ship it isn't only the cruise lines fault, if you can't handle your liquor, don't drink that much, let's face it, it's not like the bartenders are giving you free drinks until you puke.

ABC SUCKS!

100% agree!

Good Grief! Did that woman that was handed the baby really hand it back to the mother and say the family should die together?????

I will give props to her daughters thou. Getting the kids off before the adults.....

I am sitting here hoping my parents are not watching 20/20, or they will be scared to death. Crew partying up next.

I know...I'm hoping my mom did not see the show. I am taking her on a CCL cruise in April (was her Xmas present) and she's already expressed concern for it being CCL. She's never been on CCL and believes all the negative stories people tell her about Carnival. I hope I don't get a call tomorrow saying she doesn't want to go. :rolleyes:

Archived