Renewing Passport

emeraldcity

Can anyone advise what their recent experience was in turnaround time for passport renewals?

My husband just renewed his within the last month. He mailed it in right after Thanksgiving, and it was issued on 12/19.

It depends on what region is processing the passport; however, my source at the State Dept says turn around time is pretty fast - no backlog right now. Should be back in less than 4 weeks....however, you got to think about Murphy!

We're planning on renewing tomorrow at the post office (nice touch ... they now do the pictures right there). We don't sail till April. I was trying to decide if I needed to pay for expedited service.

You should be fine with normal processing. Usually normal processing is 6-8 weeks and you are cruising in April which is about 11 weeks away. I have heard that with normal processing the average time it has been taking is 4-6 weeks. The State Department has gotten fairly efficient at issuing passports.

Renewed the kids' passports in person and mailed mine in for renewal both on Jan 7, 2012.

Checked status on line today and they said to expect mine - mailed in - on or before Jan. 24, and all three of the kids' statuses said to expect theirs on or before January 25th.

I requested regular processing and delivery.

Thank you for all the replies. Sounds like I should be OK without paying for expedited.

If Murphy raises his ugly head, I'll deal with when the time comes ... there has to be a process for that too.

My passport expires in March, but DD's doesn't expire till August.

We're planning on renewing tomorrow at the post office (nice touch ... they now do the pictures right there). We don't sail till April. I was trying to decide if I needed to pay for expedited service.

OPersonally I wouldn't think you would need to pay for expidited service. Assuming you send in your old passport in the immediate future and not wait until the end of Feb.

Mine was a renewal, Wife's was first time. Put in the applications December 23rd. She got hers two weeks to the day. A few days later I got a letter saying the photocopies of my drivers license made at the post office weren't good enough and I needed to send new ones. Sent them off this Tuesday and got an e-mail today saying my passport is being processed. Hoping to get it by the end of next week.

I'm lucky enough to live in a city with a passport processing office. I know Atlanta, Miami, and New Orleans have them and same day processing is available. I renewed my passport today, went in at 11:30 and 3 hours later, it was ready. I had to pay to have it expedited though. :eek:

Where in Atlanta is the processing office? We live in Griffin, GA. My husband needs to have his passport renewed before our cruise in May.

If he sends it in now he'll get it back within time for your May cruise and not have to pay for expedited services~ I sent mine in for a name change in Sept and had it back in 12 days~ sent regular 12st class mail.

Where in Atlanta is the processing office? We live in Griffin, GA. My husband needs to have his passport renewed before our cruise in May.

It's downtown at 230 Peachtree St. NW, the building next to the America's Mart. From what I understand, in order to do same day processing, you have to show proof of travel within 2 weeks. I'm not sure how strict they are on this though. My passport didn't expire until the end of February, but I work for an airline and did have to show my badge.

I lost my passport in 1999 a couple weeks after I recieved it. I had just got the passport for an upcoming trip to Germany. I had to drive to Houston from DFW to get a replacement that was only good for a year. I think that was another $100 or so. I haven't had a need for a passport until this year, have a cruise at the end of Feb. I sent my application off for renewel 3 weeks ago. According to all the info I could find I was eligible for a renewel application. My check was cashed almost 3 weeks ago. Today I received a letter stating that I did not qualify for a renewel since I only had a limited use passport. I will have to pay another $25, they are keeping my $110, and fill out another application to take to an acceptence agency to prove I am a citizen. Just one of those Murphy's Law deals.

I can get by with a BC for my trip so am not too worried about this. Kind of a unique situation but thought I would share in case someone else is in the same boat.

Archived