Why No More Glass Show?

OceanCruise

I consistently read that the hot glass show is the highlight of many people's cruise and is extremely popular. Why did Celebrity remove this if so many people loved it? We were just on the Silhouette which does not have the glass show and I think (?) t was replaced with the art studio which was not appealing at all and the studio could only hold less than a dozen people. There were very limited hours and only 3 or 4 different projects available to do during our 12 night cruise. The only projects were one type of painting class and a necklace, bracelet or ring jewelry project which were cheap looking and ugly IMO. That was it plus there were fees up to $25 for the projects. I love crafts and was very disappointed in the few options. I wish they had offered more options such as ceramics or stained glass which I think would appeal to more passengers.

The hot glass show is relatively expensive to operate/staff and does not return any direct profit. On the latest Solstice class ships, the hot glass show is replaced by the lawn grill, which is another extra cost dining option.

We also consider the hot glass show a highlight and are sad to see it missing from the newest ships.

Funny, I'm of the opposite thought process. I'm heading out on Solstice in March and I really wish it was replaced with the lawn grill! I guess a glass show is interesting, but it seems totally out of place on the top deck of a cruise ship. On the other hand, having another high end dining option definitely appeals to me!

They still have it on Solstice, Equinox, and Eclipse. I think it has to do with availability of people who perform and operate the show. They are committed for the three ships only.

I don't know.... I just can't see glass being as tasty as that New York Strip on the Lawn Club Grill menu...:p

The hot glass show is relatively expensive to operate/staff and does not return any direct profit. On the latest Solstice class ships, the hot glass show is replaced by the lawn grill, which is another extra cost dining option. We also consider the hot glass show a highlight and are sad to see it missing from the newest ships.

As correctly noted above, it's about "Economics 101". Below are a couple of my photos from our Solstice cruise in June. This show attracted some folks, but it was not massive numbers like some of the other ship activities. Like the grass in this area, there is a little "Wow, that interesting" marketing factor, but after a period of time, it wears off and/or gets old for most or many cruisers. Don't doubt that some really love it, but those smaller numbers won't rink the cash register forever and/or growing and growing as a sales message.

To pay for these $700 million ships and their BIG operating costs, they have to consider these economic factors.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 58,379 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here's the Solstice "Hot Glass" show that is tied in with the Corning folks in New York. Interesting!:

SolsticeHotAirShowDemo.jpg

On the top, back of the Solstice, here is a wider view of Corning Hot Glass show area, plus the green grass and the unique covering designs for this special area of the ship. Classy design touches and style!!:

SolsticeGlassGrassBack.jpg

The glass show was nice--saw it a few times--but seemd out of place on the ship. Some ports also offer glass blowing demos so you can still see it in some places..

The area near it was idle most of the time... wish they had replaced it with another pool or more hot tubs or loungers...

The one thing we will miss on the newer ships is Silk harvest... its replacement , the gimmicky Q- sine is not that appealing to us...

Yes, it is definitely Economics 101. Yet another example of Celebrity taking away a free venue and adding a 'per a fee' option. I absolutely hate this trend (although I was admittedly not a fan of their choice of a glass blowing show). I know many people love the 'menu' approach, but I am in the opposite group who hates it tremendously. Pretty soon I fear everything but the already paid for room will be for a fee. Wouldn't surprise me within 2-3 years to have to pay extra for MDR options like a restaurant, to have entertainment entry fees and the like. When it gets to that point I may as well just go to a land based resort.

One of the things I love(d) about cruising was the, for the most part, all-inclusive, 'status' free, and stress free nature of it (i.e., except for a few obvious choice items like liquor and shore excursions, you knew ahead of time what your cost would be and could enjoy all venues and almost all activities for 'free' regardless of your cabin type). I would rather pay a little extra to have this type of cruise back (and please don't suggest options like Azamara or Crystal - they may include more but they are significantly more expensive)

We've been on S class ships twice and never had much of an interest in watching the glass show.

I guess that over the years we've seen glass blowing and forming demonstrations at various other places and times and just didn't have the desire to see another show/demonstration on the subject.

I guess there may be some people who enjoy the art so much they can never have enough, but I'm not one of them.

In my opinion it might be an interesting feature to have on a couple ships, and to see it once or twice, but I don't see why it would be something that should be on every ship nor that a lot of people would want to see it time and time again.

For the same reasons I wish they'd have a bit more variety in the type of offerings in the main theater shows. While they change these from time to time they are all very similar. No problem for us though, we have no issue finding lots to do and have fun on a cruise.

Yes, it is definitely Economics 101. Yet another example of Celebrity taking away a free venue and adding a 'per a fee' option. I absolutely hate this trend (although I was admittedly not a fan of their choice of a glass blowing show). I know many people love the 'menu' approach, but I am in the opposite group who hates it tremendously. Pretty soon I fear everything but the already paid for room will be for a fee. Wouldn't surprise me within 2-3 years to have to pay extra for MDR options like a restaurant, to have entertainment entry fees and the like. When it gets to that point I may as well just go to a land based resort.

One of the things I love(d) about cruising was the, for the most part, all-inclusive, 'status' free, and stress free nature of it (i.e., except for a few obvious choice items like liquor and shore excursions, you knew ahead of time what your cost would be and could enjoy all venues and almost all activities for 'free' regardless of your cabin type). I would rather pay a little extra to have this type of cruise back (and please don't suggest options like Azamara or Crystal - they may include more but they are significantly more expensive)

I hear this a lot, but I think it is a bit of an overreaction. I have never seen a cruise line remove a free option that was doing well. The glass show, as already mentioned was sparsely attended. So to replace it with another OPTION that has a fee is hardly a loss.

You speculate about paying for shows or main dining, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen. And I doubt it for the reason you asserted: They would lose their base.

On the other hand, adding premium options for those of us who enjoy them only serves to EXPAND their base, at no cost to cruisers like yourself.

Plus for most people, you see the glass show once and that's enough. And if you repeat sail these ships it's a non factor. But a good restaurant, will keep people coming back. As said before it's about the money.

Plus, it was an oxymoron for X. They claim they don't have laundry facilities onboard due to the fire risk and insurance. But let's put in a hot glass show that's much much much hotter and more a fire risk?

I hear this a lot, but I think it is a bit of an overreaction. I have never seen a cruise line remove a free option that was doing well. The glass show, as already mentioned was sparsely attended. So to replace it with another OPTION that has a fee is hardly a loss.

Wow, that is the first I have heard of it being sparsely attended. I spent 25 nights on the Equinox across a couple of cruises and each and every show (two per day most days) was standing room only. I loved the show and attended nearly every one (and this from somebody who generally is not interested in art). The equipment is expensive to install and another big factor is that there are only so many glass blowing artists that are willing to spend an extended period of time on cruise ships doing shows - so it is not just cost that is a factor but available talent. I found the work that they do to be amazing and the artists were not just extremely talented, but very friendly and entertaining as well.

Wow, that is the first I have heard of it being sparsely attended. I spent 25 nights on the Equinox across a couple of cruises and each and every show (two per day most days) was standing room only. I loved the show and attended nearly every one (and this from somebody who generally is not interested in art). The equipment is expensive to install and another big factor is that there are only so many glass blowing artists that are willing to spend an extended period of time on cruise ships doing shows - so it is not just cost that is a factor but available talent. I found the work that they do to be amazing and the artists were not just extremely talented, but very friendly and entertaining as well.

I think I chose my words poorly. You are correct. It is usually well attended. But overall, the space is sparsely utilized. To take up that much space to perform two shows a day, as opposed to putting in a dining venue that can service people for hours, seems like underutilization.

I think I chose my words poorly. You are correct. It is usually well attended. But overall, the space is sparsely utilized. To take up that much space to perform two shows a day, as opposed to putting in a dining venue that can service people for hours, seems like underutilization.

Thanks for the clarification.

We were on Solstice a couple of years ago, and the Corning Hot Glass Show was very well attended. Especially the night-time show, which was awesome. At that time, Equinox and Eclipse were in various stages of being built, and the Corning artisans were asked as to whether their shows would be on those new ships. They explained that, although they did know that the Corning operation would be on Equinox, plans for each ship were decided on a case-by case basis. So, I wasn't too surprised when X announced that the glass works would not be incorporated into the plans for the last two ships. I just hope that they keep them on the first three! :cool:

You speculate about paying for shows or main dining, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen. And I doubt it for the reason you asserted: They would lose their base.

On the other hand, adding premium options for those of us who enjoy them only serves to EXPAND their base, at no cost to cruisers like yourself.

I guess we are going to need to agree to disagree. I do not think it is an overreaction at all. At one time, all food was free. Now there are specialty dinner restaurants, extra costs for Bistro, extra cost for specialty coffees (non-liquor), on some lines extra costs for hamburger joints, ice cream sundays, pizza, and the list goes on. And in that regard I do say we have lost something - in most cases the MDR food quality has declined - further encouraging these options. I know some will disagree but that is my opinion.

Virtually every new 'feature' being added to a cruise ship these days is only available to those willing to pay extra. I am not basically a negative person, but I think when one applies logic to the topic and looks at the trend, it is not totally unrealistic to think the trend will only continue. I think it is only a short period of time before all MDR menus have extra pay options for various dishes that years ago would likely have been included. Haven't sailed RCI in awhile, but don't they now charge extra for a steak? I can certainly see Celebrity jumping on that bandwagon.

One might say - if people don't pay then they will discontinue these things. I say - in many cases people will pay even if they don't like this pricing model because to not do so means missing out on these experiences. And yes, it is true that buying extras within reason, the bottom line cost compared to years ago balances out in the end. But I still don't like it and hate the 'blue plate special' ambiance of the whole trend. And I do strongly believe it will continue, and one day will include pay for certain entertainment, and pay for at least certain items in the MDR. We'll see. Only time will tell who called this one right

was replaced with the art studio which was not appealing at all and the studio could only hold less than a dozen people. There were very limited hours and only 3 or 4 different projects available to do during our 12 night cruise. The only projects were one type of painting class and a necklace, bracelet or ring jewelry project which were cheap looking and ugly IMO. That was it plus there were fees up to $25 for the projects. I love crafts and was very disappointed in the few options. I wish they had offered more options such as ceramics or stained glass which I think would appeal to more passengers.

That is too bad. We really liked Eclipse and will be on Silhouette this year, and various cruise lines have their positive and negatives, but on HAL they do not charge for the craft projects.

They still have it on Solstice, Equinox, and Eclipse. I think it has to do with availability of people who perform and operate the show. They are committed for the three ships only.

I understood this was the reason as well. Corning did not have enough artisans available (or did not want to provide them) to commit to more than three ships. So other options had to be used for that space on the new ships.

I found it an interesting show on my Solstice cruise. It was SRO the two times we went to the show. The venue is relatively small, however. They did auction off 6 pieces they had made for charity. While they were one of a kind pieces, they auctioned for about 5X what such pieces would actually be worth in an art retail envirnment.

In talking to one of the artists, I got the impression they worked for Corning, not Celebrity. Could be wrong about that though. As such, I don't know that Celebrity controls the amount of time the artists are actually ship bound.

Interestingly, one of the artists actually told me "where can I find another venue, anywhere in the world, that is as beatutiful to have my studio?"

I think it is great that there are different options on the S class ships. While we really enjoyed the hot glass show, I would be happy to try the Lawn Club grill on one of the newer ships.

I am not opposed to options that are extra-cost at all. YOU have the choice whether to pay for these events/dining experiences. This also keeps the base cruise price lower and provides a wide variety of choice for those who want to pay for unique experiences.

You always have a choice not to cruise and spend your money elsewhere

While it's cool to see maybe once, I've never seen the reason behind having a glass blowing area on a cruise ship.

Well summarized by Darcie!! As noted previously, there are lots of places where you might have seen glass blown. It's interesting as done on the ship, but it is more of a "one and done" type of experience for most people. During June cruise, it was never that super crowded, as my pictures illustrate.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 58,379 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived