How's the new HAL non smoking policy working out?

sugarcharlie

Sail, my schedule is very flexible. If you book the veranda cabin immediately forward of you for me, I'll go along and keep you at least one balcony away from smokers.

Now, I know you prefer warm-weather cruises, and I prefer cool, but I will make the sacrifice for you. :D

Now THERE'S an offer. :D Don't get one like that everyday. :)

Let me give it a bit of thought......... :cool:

what

Ruth - what a great sacrifice you are making;)

Well, yes,,,,,,,,, that's part of the deal!!!

Ruth would have to be in the cabin beside me. ;)

Sail can book the other side for me. I'm also willing to take one for the team:D;).

Well, there you go!!!

Problem solved.

I'm 'feeling the love'. :D

Now I have to figure out if it is love for providing comfort for DH and me or....... maybe it's the Suite??? :confused: Hmmmm, let me see now, whaddathink?? :D

I can continue to exercise my freedom of speech and complain........ complain to anyone who stands still long enough to listen.

I understand 100%. With tolerance there can be no change.

However, right now at this very moment, HAL allows smoking on balconies. So, if you currently choose to cruise HAL, balcony smoking neighbors may be your reality. You can't have it both ways, unless you and Ruth team up. ;)

Choosing a cruiseline based on a smoking policy is something I definitely consider. ;)

I also look forward to the day there are fewer smokers in the world. The numbers are decreasing.

It's the best thing one can do for themselves but that's a whole different subject so i won't go there.

It is unclear to me why anyone would complain. Does not matter if you are a smoker or a non smoker, book verandah cabins or outsides/insides.

Each cruise line makes their rules very clear. And there are many choices. Pick the one that meets your requirements or tastes.

If you select one that does not, it can hardly be attributable to the cruise line or to your fellow passengers who may have different preferences or priorities. It is that straightforward.

Seems we'll have to agree to disagree......

It is my choice to book the cruise line of my choice and complain about those things I'd like to see changed. Seems complaining in the past has worked as there have been many more restrictions to smoking put in place. If that worked in the past, why not hope it will work in the future?

We make it very clear we want the policy changed and that is the only way a company knows what the majority of their customers want. IMO

As normal for this board we tend to speculate and assume too quickly:rolleyes:

First off HAL has ALWAYS allowed smoking on the Balconies, this is nothing new folks, granted people can no longer smoke in the cabin but I would venture to guess that 90% of the smokers that cruised prior mostly mostly smoked on their balconies. Now the thing we are assuming is that the percentage of smokers will increase on HAL because they can smoke on the balconies. The major word here is ASSUMING. We do not know this yet. Personally I do not think this is going to be that big of a factor and like we tend to do here on CC is make a Mountain out of a Mole Hill I think until reports start coming in we need to wait and see.

In all of my 25 HAL cruises each one of these had a Balcony and only 1 time did we have someone smoke next door to us but fortunately he was not out there every time we were out there. But interestingly enough our last RCCL cruise we were on the aft and several cabins all around us were smoking and was the worse I ever encountered.

The whole thing is that this is something that could have happened prior to the change of the smoking policy, will there be more smokers on HAL?....maybe......will you get one up wind from you?.....maybe.......will the ship sink?......maybe. Yes the chance is ever so slightly higher now about the smoking but the odds are still in your favor there will not be ;)

If HAL really wanted to cover the cost of cleaning cabins after smokers then why not just make it an upfront charge? I'd have to think about it but my initial reaction is that I'd gladly pay the fee if it was clearly not a "fine" for breaking a rule. Permitting smoking on the veranda does not cut it for us and will probably keep us away from HAL but a charge for being able to smoke in our cabin might just work. We typically book deluxe suites on 10 day or longer cruises so another $250 isn't going to break us.

If HAL really wanted to cover the cost of cleaning cabins after smokers then why not just make it an upfront charge? I'd have to think about it but my initial reaction is that I'd gladly pay the fee if it was clearly not a "fine" for breaking a rule. Permitting smoking on the veranda does not cut it for us and will probably keep us away from HAL but a charge for being able to smoke in our cabin might just work. We typically book deluxe suites on 10 day or longer cruises so another $250 isn't going to break us.

I hear you Randy we only do a 7 day Alaska cruise and book the penthouse suite so 250 is nothing as long as we can enjoy ourselves:):)

they said no you have to pay it at the end of cruise 250 one time:)

I believe that if your neighbours complain - ie if it starts coming through the vents or they become aware that you are smoking inside the cabin - the fine is $250 per occurence. That came to me directly from HAL in Seattle.... but then much depend on what time of day you call, what day, who answers etc:rolleyes: Whatever, I am glad you have to pay towards the clean up costs.

Time will tell, if you continually break their rules you just may be invited to leave the ship. Many, many non-smokers also book deluxe suites and for longer cruises.;)

I believe that if your neighbours complain - ie if it starts coming through the vents or they become aware that you are smoking inside the cabin - the fine is $250 per occurence. That came to me directly from HAL in Seattle.... but then much depend on what time of day you call, what day, who answers etc:rolleyes: Whatever, I am glad you have to pay towards the clean up costs.

I will be more then happy to pay :):);)

Time will tell, if you continually break their rules you just may be invited to leave the ship. Many, many non-smokers also book deluxe suites and for longer cruises.;)

I agree and as I understand the policy right now it's a fine and I'd guess you very well could be "asked" not to cruise with HAL again. For that reason I'd never smoke in the cabin. I was specifically saying I'd be in favor of a one time cleaning charge, not a fine, with the understanding that I was paying for smoking in the cabin upfront as part of my cruise. Again, I am not at all suggesting that somebody should just go ahead and smoke in their cabin and pay the fine. Personally I would not, will not do that.

As normal for this board we tend to speculate and assume too quickly:rolleyes:

First off HAL has ALWAYS allowed smoking on the Balconies, this is nothing new folks, granted people can no longer smoke in the cabin but I would venture to guess that 90% of the smokers that cruised prior mostly mostly smoked on their balconies. Now the thing we are assuming is that the percentage of smokers will increase on HAL because they can smoke on the balconies. The major word here is ASSUMING. We do not know this yet. Personally I do not think this is going to be that big of a factor and like we tend to do here on CC is make a Mountain out of a Mole Hill I think until reports start coming in we need to wait and see.

In all of my 25 HAL cruises each one of these had a Balcony and only 1 time did we have someone smoke next door to us but fortunately he was not out there every time we were out there. But interestingly enough our last RCCL cruise we were on the aft and several cabins all around us were smoking and was the worse I ever encountered.

The whole thing is that this is something that could have happened prior to the change of the smoking policy, will there be more smokers on HAL?....maybe......will you get one up wind from you?.....maybe.......will the ship sink?......maybe. Yes the chance is ever so slightly higher now about the smoking but the odds are still in your favor there will not be ;)

My personal observations on Nieuw Amsterdam were comments we heard that cruisers who had not sailed HAL in the past were now going to so they could smoke......... We were chatting with a group and a number piped up their aunt and uncle, their cousin, their sister/brother had not wanted to sail HAL but because HAL is permitting veranda smoking, their family members are 'moving on over'. Of course, that is what HAL hopes for. Princess and "X" hope the same in reverse so perhaps they plan on it being a wash.

We also have had people on this board post it. I am sure I have read posts here where people specifically said they are moving to HAL so they can smoke on their veranda.

I take these people at their word and am not Assuming.

Here is my offer, and I would like to point out that this was my idea for you first, in case I get an extra point for that.

I will contribute a verandah price and get a suite. I will not use my balcony, you can use my part, except when someone is smoking while you are out there. Then I can have a fake hissy fit and ask that they give us a break. Attempt to guilt them out of their rights so to speak. Which I warn you, I may not be that good at, because I could never do it for myself. But I will give it a go. I can take my asthma inhaler out and swing it around for dramatic effect. I could have some coughing fits too, although the smoking neighbor may be coughing more and out do me on this one.

I will pay all my gratuities and be a quiet neighbor.

You could also form a club of cruisers. Everyone that is a non smoker but will not leave HAL because they are so loyal. Have them book all the cabins around you. That is a win win. Maybe throw in a gift for the one that has to border on a smoker cabin or buy the real estate of that persons balcony. You have a lot of friends on HAL from all your 73 cruises, I know they will help you out.

It might be cheaper to try Oceana, that I have suspected is your real cruise line, but I think my idea is the next best thing.

Can we go to the Caribbean? I have never been. Actually, I haven't taken the Canadian cruise yet either, so I am up for that one too.

If the stories of the Russian mobsters buying a life raft and kicking the women and children off are true, why not buy someone'e balcony? Or with cash negotiate your time out there being smoke free?

My personal observations on Nieuw Amsterdam were comments we heard that cruisers who had not sailed HAL in the past were now going to so they could smoke......... We were chatting with a group and a number piped up their aunt and uncle, their cousin, their sister/brother had not wanted to sail HAL but because HAL is permitting veranda smoking, their family members are 'moving on over'. Of course, that is what HAL hopes for. Princess and "X" hope the same in reverse so perhaps they plan on it being a wash.

We also have had people on this board post it. I am sure I have read posts here where people specifically said they are moving to HAL so they can smoke on their veranda.

I take these people at their word and am not Assuming.

Sail, the point is the ship is pretty darn big and there are a lot of cabins. Numbers are decreasing every day in people that smoke and yes the numbers may increase with those sailing HAL because they can smoke on the balconies. Of all these numbers what is the percentage that those you talked to and those few that post on HAL will in fact be on YOUR sailing and right next door to you ???? We all know that the percentage that post here on CC is a very very small percentage to those that actually sail on HAL. Again we have no idea and YES you are ASSUMING.... the number facts and percentages are not in yet. Yes you can take these people at their word but really what are the chances those people will be right next door to you. You are assuming.

How many people were next door to you smoking 10 years ago? The percentage of smokers was much higher then.

It is going to take many many weeks before we get a solid idea if this is really going to effect cruising on HAL. I personally do not think so.:rolleyes: No different than your favorite tropical land based resort and sitting out on your lanai.

There are also going to be smokers that absolutely will not sail HAL because of all the OLD People :D

Sail, the point is the ship is pretty darn big and there are a lot of cabins. Numbers are decreasing every day in people that smoke and yes the numbers may increase with those sailing HAL because they can smoke on the balconies. Of all these numbers what is the percentage that those you talked to and those few that post on HAL will in fact be on YOUR sailing and right next door to you ???? We all know that the percentage that post here on CC is a very very small percentage to those that actually sail on HAL. Again we have no idea and YES you are ASSUMING.... the number facts and percentages are not in yet. Yes you can take these people at their word but really what are the chances those people will be right next door to you. You are assuming.

How many people were next door to you smoking 10 years ago? The percentage of smokers was much higher then.

It is going to take many many weeks before we get a solid idea if this is really going to effect cruising on HAL. I personally do not think so.:rolleyes: No different than your favorite tropical land based resort and sitting out on your lanai.

There are also going to be smokers that absolutely will not sail HAL because of all the OLD People :D

Actually, Lisa, Maasdam is not all that big and there are not that many "S" Suites. Limited number.......

We have had one cruise (Eurodam) when we could not use our veranda for an entire week. First week was fine. The second week there were disgusting smokers on both sides of us and it seemed they never left their veranda. We did not have five smoke free minutes out there. It makes no difference to me to debate how common that is nor if it EVER happened to anyone else, it happened to us.

It also happened to us on Maasdam we could not enjoy a single sailaway on Maasdam for a 14 day Caribbean cruise. Smokers beneath us stood at their rail every afternoon with their friends and the four of then lit one cigarette after another that drifted right up into our faces. We missed every afternoon sailaway.

That is exactly what has happened to us as the most extreme cases. There have been other less drastic episodes but those were the most extreme.

Those with whom I spoke on Nieuw Amsterdam are representative of a larger number. If we ran across these folks, how many did we not?

i don't quite know what to say about your 'old people' part. :eek:

I guess we have been pretty lucky and that has not occurred with us. But what I am saying is that we cannot assume until the numbers come in that there were always be smokers next to us. We just do not know. Personally I do not think the chances are going to be much worse.

But then my personal preference is for sailing on a Vista/Signature Class ship and do not have any immediate plans to return to an S or R Class ship. I just do not think my odds are much different than they were prior to the change in the smoking policy and it is really way too early to know what how it is going to effect the balconies. I guess I will find out in March and May.

But, Lisa,

Some of us love the "S" ships have full hopes of being able to continue to enjoy sailing them.

I'm happy "S" ships /smoking issues won't be an issue for you but it well could be for some of us.

We Maasdam again soon.

Fingers crossed we get lucky and don't have to be disturbed with noxious smoke in our faces.

I'm guessing smoke doesn't bother you very much and you can easily be amongst smokers without discomfort. If that is the case, that's great. Not all of us can physically tolerate it. Perhaps I'm wrong and you hate it as much as many of us but I certainly don't know either way.

Archived