Booking a Jan. 2013 cruise?

potsie57

Starting to research our next cruise for Jan. 2013, okay I know it is early but I want to get the best price. When would the be the best time to book? When do the cruise lines have super sales?? Should I wait until 6 months before?? Thanks for any advise you can give!

All those are unknowns. Nobody knows when the sales are going to be. If they did, nobody would book until the sales.

People who book early usually have a specific cabin or location they wish to get. You can always wait, but if you have particular desires for your cabin, booking sooner is always better, and most (but not all) price drops are honored.

The schedule is already out for Jan 2013, and has been for about 4 or 5 months, so you aren't "early".

Many of us wouldn't consider now "early" to be booking a cruise for 1/13. I've had mine booked for several months!

But to answer your question, the best time to book is as soon as you find the cruise you want. You can keep track of the price up until final payment, and if the price goes down, ask that your fare be matched.

It is important to be sure that your TA won't charge each time you do this. You could lose on the transaction. But otherwise, there's no point in waiting.

Yep, find one, get your deposit in, and monitor the rate regularly until date of final payment. They usually will adjust the rate as long as they don't have all your money yet.

If you find a good deal on another itinerary, they usually let you rebook without penalty if you aren't into the cancellation fee period, which is usually after the final payment date.

We book as soon as the rates are open. It's all about location location location!

We book cruises as soon as we can. We like to get a cabin that we want.

Super Sales??? That is hard to predict. If a cruise is saling well -- don't count on getting a bargain.

Book now -- should you see a price drop before final payment -- check it out. There could be conditions like -- no shipboard credits -- for new bookings only -- sometimes you won't get back your deposit if you decide to cancel before final payment mainly because of the type of sale that was being promoted at that time.

I just booked this morning for March 2013. Good thing I did. I gave my TA a list of 6 staterooms that I'd be happy with. All but 2 had already been booked! Needless to say, I slapped down a deposit on one of the remaining two pretty darn fast! If you want a specific stateroom, it is essential to book early.

I don't think booking a cruise for Jan. 2013 now is too early. I booked a cruise for April 2013 in Aug. 2011.

As many have stated, watch for price reductions. Sometimes they apply only to new bookings but other times you can get the price drop. If you use a travel agent, verify their terms before booking. Some won't honor price drops and others will. Some charge a "change fee" to get a price drop. Some will give you the price drop, but you have to pay the difference in their commission between the original price and new price.

Cruise prices are like airline prices - they can vary significantly based on some random factor that no one really understands.

Where are you planning to go? And what ships will be servicing them!

In the Carrib. I would say wait till 90 days out or less

Europe I would book not less than 6 mos out

South America....over a year out..

It is supply and demand. If there are 15 ships going out every week and several are the Mega-ships 2500+ ther will be huge last min sales to fill the mosnters

Then South America,which only has only 2 lines sailings has most of the ships already sold out for Jan 2013. The Veendam south america/ antarctic cruise in Jan 2013 has already sold out 13 months before sailing !!

THen there are specials and promotionals... that only the line its self offers for a limited time. I just got a 7 day cruise from Miami in December 12, on Oceaina, offering 50% off and including round trip air fare from Hawaii to Maimi ! and ended up costing$ 57 a day pp rather than$ 230

So, hit some of the big internet sites and watch the 90 day out windows to get a feel for how stuff works... Its supply and demand...

We have been booked for months for a January 2013 cruise on the Noordam. The only downer we have seen is that we opened a roll call for the cruise and have felt very lonely thus far. :(

Maybe we will be the only ones on the ship.... ha ha!

Cheers!

Denny (& Karen) ;):p

Starting to research our next cruise for Jan. 2013, okay I know it is early but I want to get the best price. When would the be the best time to book? When do the cruise lines have super sales?? Should I wait until 6 months before?? Thanks for any advise you can give!

A lot depends on the itinerary. We tried to book a cruise last Nov for Feb 2013 and found out it was basically sold out 6 months earlier. We managed to get one of the last inside cabins on one leg and are waitlisted on everything else in every available category. :(

I say book it now grab a good cabin while its available - then periodically check pricing of your cabin throughout the year. If rates go down before final payment call the cruise line and have them adjust it - if the price goes up - youre locked in to the original price so you cant go wrong.

Booked 16 months out for a 30 day cruise, South america and antarctica.

Fare ha since gone up by $1100 per person ! But hey no problem the ship is already sold out... Supply and demand. If I booked in Dec for a Jan 13 cruise It would have cost$ 2200 more!

Buy when you want it.

Archived