Memorable Royal Caribbean crew member experiences

Yes! We had breakfast nearly everyday in the Windjammer aboard the Oasis. We ate in the same location, and had the same server. her name was Vernell, and she was lovely. Very attentive and had some nice convo's with her about her native country, Dominica. Plus, she told me I didnt look a day over 40 ( I'm 53!)..;)

Here is the book I am reading now

Cruise Confidential

By Brian David Bruns

The only American crew member following his girlfriend who is also a crewmember

Cruise Ship SOS

Bert MacFarland

Tales from a cruise ship doctor

The Truth about cruising

Jay Herring

An IT aboard a cruise ship

(Maintains computers and the network)

We were on an Australia/New Zealand cruise and we had an assistant waiter who couldn't pour water without getting it all over the table and/or floor. My DH showed him how to pour from the side of the pitcher but he still couldn't do it. He got transferred to another table after about five days and we found out later that he left the cruiseline shortly thereafter. Probably had more problems than not being able to pour water.

We were on an Australia/New Zealand cruise and we had an assistant waiter who couldn't pour water without getting it all over the table and/or floor. My DH showed him how to pour from the side of the pitcher but he still couldn't do it. He got transferred to another table after about five days and we found out later that he left the cruiseline shortly thereafter. Probably had more problems than not being able to pour water.

Wow, we had a similar assistant waiter on my first cruise. He would spend a lot of time making sure our silverware was straight and complete between courses but had a real problem with everything else -- pouring water, clearing plates, bread, salad dressing. He nearly gave our waiter a heart attack when he tried opening a bottle of wine and couldn't get the cork out, pulling and pushing with the bottle opener. The waiter dropped whatever he was doing with another table and dashed over to save the bottle.

Our asst waiter on the Mariner, on the other hand, had eyes behind his head. Every night after the first, we had a plate of savory bites and our drinks already waiting for us on the table. Our plates were whisked away as soon as we were finished, and coffee/tea always in synch with dessert. One evening I'd lost my voice, and he was thoughtful enough to bring a plate of honey and lemon, without any prompting. We tipped him a lot extra and mentioned by name on the comment card. These little touches made a big difference, and we appreciated his thoughtfulness and conscientiousness.

The wait staff really made the cruise for us on our last trip. If you are lucky enough to be on the Enchantment and have Emmanual and Jaime as your waiter/assistant waiter, you will have a great, great experience.

Priscilla in the Champagne Bar on the Serenade last year. She always was ready with my drink and a smile. Knew our names after our first visit and would wave and chat when we saw her whether we were having a drink or not. I felt like family during that trip!

I remember Oscar and Herb Ramon from Voyager in the main dinning room, they both were lovely and extremely professional waiters, and as anecdote, two years later on the Allure I met another crew member from Honduras who knew Oscar and Herb!! It was a big coincidence.

On Allure we had Zdravko and Albert, they were cool as well trying to teach us some words of their languages, we made frindship with Zdravko specially because he was my age.

The waitress Suellen from windjammer on Allure was lovely too. And the portuguese climbing/surf instructor.

For us it would be Michelle and Gemma in the Champagne & Martini Bar on the Allure of the Seas from our last cruise. They were absolutely wonderful to us, and we looked forward to visiting them every day we were onboard.

I wish they had had the WOW cards then so we could have given ours to them. We did speak very highly of them (by name) on the comment card, so I hope that they were given some form of recognition for their outstanding service.

Gemma-Michelle.jpg

We had a great waiter that we would look for during lunch or breakfast to see if we could be seated in his area. I really like the waiters that take the time to talk to you and get to know you a little. They don't all do that and I appreciate the friendliness and effort taken to get to know us.

For us it would be Michelle and Gemma in the Champagne & Martini Bar on the Allure of the Seas from our last cruise. They were absolutely wonderful to us, and we looked forward to visiting them every day we were onboard.

I wish they had had the WOW cards then so we could have given ours to them. We did speak very highly of them (by name) on the comment card, so I hope that they were given some form of recognition for their outstanding service.

Totally agree!

We had Gemma this summer and loved her! Michelle was great to, but we mostly had Gemma as our waitress. We mentioned her on our comment cards as well.

champagne_bar_staff.jpg

My son and his friend both power wheelchair users were 18 and 17 on our last cruise, they became friends with the ice skating and dance crew, the crew would came and get our guys and made sure that cruise was fun and entertaining all week long, they have even kept in touch with some of them 2 years after the cruise, incredible young people and crew members :)

The waiter in Johnny Rockets on NOS made this for me, out of a napkin, between customers. He would work on it, go deliver food, or take and order and then come back and keep working on it! It was incredibly detailed, he had to wrinkle up the napkin first and then unfold it to get it to look like this! I was old enough to be his mom and with my DH, so it wasnt a come on, he was just trying to be nice:D

154810_1753288429850_1168083707_2028206_625182_n.jpg

BTW, I brought it home inside an empty water bottle, so it wouldn't get crushed and put it on my Christmas tree every year~

On our April 2010 cruise on FOS... I saw one of our assistant waiters from the MDR working in the Promenade Cafe, and he remembered my name. This stood out to me because of the fact there are thousands of different passengers onboard every week. I myself am terrible with names, so unfortunately I cannot recall his right now. I think it started with an A...

A few years ago on Liberty of the Seas we had a group sailing with us. One member of our party asked the Waiter about a special desert she wanted. He informed is it was on the menu on the 3rd night of our cruise. On that night she was not feeling well and did not make dinner. The next day after spending the day on shore she came back to her cabin to find the desert she had asked about on day one waiting in her cabin. What great customer service.

So many good crew members. Audrey, the room steward on my first 2005 cruise on Radiance with my parents, who was so kind to my mother, who was a bit of a cabin-body (of course, you can be in a Grand Suite). My friend to this day, Michael, a bartender on that first cruise, and Dennis and Marwin, also bartenders on that cruise, and another cruise on Radiance two years later.

In the not so good category, our waiter Jimmy, who would weirdly touch (light, hesitant stroking) my shoulder while taking our order. I guess some people may like that.

I have to say, I've generally remembered and enjoyed the staff on the smaller ships than the bigger ones. I guess with a larger number of guests, it is harder to make a connection.

We love those Girls. :D

Gemma-Michelle.jpg

On Enchanment of the Seas this past summer. An assistant waiter named Lucian. He had a small game, brain teaser, puzzle type activity at the main dining nightly. It was very fun and left a big impression with our family.

The thing that we found great is that he included our table even though we weren't assigned to him. Our waiter didn't seem too impressed with this, he was more formal and never smiled, all business. We loved it though.

Looked forward to seeing him at the entrance of Windjammer lunch daily. Full of energy, always hugging, dancing and laughing. Couldn't help but make you smile.

Last year on Mariner, our cabin attendant Clever and our waiter in the MDR William both were totally outstanding.

Clever set the bar when one of my group mentioned that she was missing one bag that had her meds in it just after we sailed. We didn't ask at all, Clever simply heard and did a vanishing act off to the baggage room. Then reappeared less than five minutes later with the missing bag. The rest of the week was similar. Things accomplished nearly before you could mention them and always making time to say hi and see how we were doing when we met him in the hallway.

William was a constant source of humor. He had extra challenges that week with another table that had someone with a peanut allergy to watch out for plus some other specialty menu work going. We knew about it, so we didn't sweat the extra time he took for that table. They needed the attention worse than we did. However, despite that, William knew our drink preferences by the second night and his dinner recommendations were excellent. We returned his joking back on him one night. All of us stared his way until he looked over and then promptly went back to our meal like nothing happened. Cracked him up good when he realized what we were doing.

Back on Mariner this weekend. I hope these guys are still aboard.

My memorable person stands out for almost the wrong reasons, it was on our very first RCI cruise on Freedom, our asst waiter (almond) was great, so attentive but our other waiter was something else, when he found out we were newbies he tried giving us all the information HE felt we should have, including that we should never order more than one item per serving, one night I was trying to decide what appetiser to have (out of two) thinking he would suggest both and he told ME what to have! Suffice to say we wised up by the next cruise, I am never rude but I do ask for what I want these days as its MY vacation, he was very good in other ways apart from trying to sell that cookbook so he did get a good tip and we remember and laugh about it now.

On our Christmas cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas in 2009, there was terrible weather on the first day. There wasn't much to do, so we went to the shopping show. We were sitting in the balcony and my dad ordered drinks. While waiting on my dad to sign, the bartender started talking to my sister and I, asking if we were twins.

Well, that evening, we went into the theater for the show, and got the same bartender. I ordered a Diet Coke (with Coke card), but he brought me a fruity drink!!!

The next evening (formal night), Rachel and I were in the atrium, talking to some guys we had just met. One of the guy looks up and says, "Is that guy.... waving at you?" It was our bartender!!!

We learned that his name was Gerard. He started keeping tabs on us - whenever our parents wanted to find us, he could tell them exactly where we were! (One of the guys we hung out with was British, and he'd say, "Oh, they're with the British! British boys!") He remembered what drinks we liked and would bring them to us without us even ordering. He was the sweetest, friendliest crew member I've ever met, and I would really love to run into him again on another cruise.

Susana ( aka Suzanne @ Champagne Bar on The Brilliance) - both times we have cruised she has been nothing short of amazing! Love her to bits and would book a cruise on the Brilliance just to see her!

I agree, she and her work partner Rusty are fantastic !!

Archived