Magic Refurb

JBCall

Hi,

With all the new features on the Dream and Fantasy, I wa wondering if the Wonder or Magic will be refurbished in the next year. Especially, curious if the Magic might get some updates before it goes over to Europe in 2013.

Thanks.

Hi,

With all the new features on the Dream and Fantasy, I wa wondering if the Wonder or Magic will be refurbished in the next year. Especially, curious if the Magic might get some updates before it goes over to Europe in 2013.

Thanks.

There is some speculation that the Magic will undergo an extensive refurb in Venice (the shipyard where she was built) before returning from the Med in 2013.

Since the ship have their drydocks every 3 years, and the Magic had her last one just after returning from the Med in 2010, this sounds plausible.

The Wonder had her drydock after her Alaska season in 2011, so she's not due have one soon.

:)

The Magic by law has to go in no later then Dec 2013 to satisfy IMO/SOLAS regs. Exactly where or when has never been determined yet. I havent had a chance to sit down with a calendar and look for holes in her sched. Theres been several rumors but nothing firm.

As far as what is going to be done, I doubt youll see too many if any additions from the new ships to the Magic class, simply because if you make all of the ships the same, then theres no real reason to see the others other then different itinerary. Its also 1 of the reasons that the 4 ships have different shows on them, and very few are duplicated.

There is some speculation that the Magic will undergo an extensive refurb in Venice (the shipyard where she was built) before returning from the Med in 2013.

Since the ship have their drydocks every 3 years, and the Magic had her last one just after returning from the Med in 2010, this sounds plausible.

The Wonder had her drydock after her Alaska season in 2011, so she's not due have one soon.

:)

The drydock cycle is 2x in a 5 year period not to exceed 3 years according to SOLAS and IMO. Typically the DCL ships in the past has been the Magic in the even years and the Wonder on the odd. Which puts them every other year. For whatever reason, they are breaking the cycle this year with the Magic.

Could very well be. I was talking to extechie on pms a while ago, and he was saying that there are a lot of issues on the Magic and Wonder due to construction materials, that people are not hearing about, during normal drydock. How much of it is due to the material vs normal or abnormal wear I dont know.

DCL had a lot of issues with the quality of work at Fincantieri. DCL had the 'nerve' to require that the shipyard build the ships to plans and spec. The shipyard had to do a lot of things like add a lot of pipe hangers, change a lot of installed materals and there were problems with fit and finish such as the bad epoxy in the Mickey pool. That was a reason why the Magic was months late in delivery and why they had Meyer-Werft build the Dream and Fantasy.

Say it isnt so:eek:

Not sure about that, but the version I saw on why she was late was that the ship 2 in front of the Magic was delayed due to a cahnge in her plans. When they started to run behind, Fincantieri started to pull workers from the Magic and the ship in front of the Magic, which led to both of those ships being late also.

From experience in looking at plans in the construction indutry, and Im assuming that the marine construction is the same way or fairly similar, when you build a ship or a house, you basically get a price per square foot. Unless you specify a certain material, say a certain type of faucet in a bathroom, the builder will put the cheapest 1 they can find in that still meeets the code. Which I think may have happened to the Magic and Wonder. DCL may not have specified a certain pipe chase, so Fin didnt do it until a DCL engineer looked at it on the ship and said, no this isnt going to work or it doesnt meet code. So now Fin has to go back and redo which may have led to additional delays.

Either way if it were up to me, I would not let them do a refurb on her.

Disney 'Magic' Aside, Line's Launch Delayed

The cruise report

November 09, 1997|By Arline Bleecker

The folks at Disney may be the consummate purveyors of fantasy, but Disney Cruise Line recently tasted its first bite of reality: Delays have forced the line to postpone until April 30 the much-ballyhooed maiden voyage of Disney Magic, its first ship. The ship had been scheduled to sail March 12.

Disney's announcement marked yet another delay by cruise lines that expected to float out new ships by targeted deadlines. The Magic fell victim to what could be described, aptly, as a ripple effect.

The ship is under construction at Fincantieri Shipyard in Italy, where all hands on deck are busily resolving nagging problems on Holland America's Rotterdam VI, another ship under construction by Fincantieri. (The Rotterdam originally was scheduled to debut early last month but already has canceled its first three cruises because of what Holland America describes as ''technical issues'' and problems with ''decor and furnishing items.'') The extra manpower needed for the Rotterdam is affecting construction schedules for other ships in the yard, said Disney spokeswoman Amy Foley.

2nd Disney Ship To Sail Out Of Port Behind Schedule

December 08, 1998|By Lesley Clark of The Sentinel Staff

The second ship of the Disney Cruise Line will debut in August, several months behind schedule because of construction delays at an Italian shipyard.

The Disney Wonder will start sailing Aug. 15 from Port Canaveral, cruise line spokeswoman Amy Foley said Monday.

Cruise line officials said they had never set a date for the debut of the Wonder. But in January the cruise line started taking reservations for the Wonder, with the first public sailing set for March 14, 1999

Embarrassing construction delays of the Disney Magic, which arrived at Port Canaveral several months late, forced Disney to offer refunds and discounts on future sailings and pushed back completion of the Wonder, Foley said.

``Every day the Magic was late we knew the Wonder would be affected, we just didn't know to what effect,'' Foley said. ``Now we've arrived at a date we all feel comfortable with.''

The Wonder is under construction at the shipyard and, except for interior architecture and decorations, will look exactly like the 2,400-passenger Disney Magic, which began sailing last July.

Passengers who booked on the Disney Wonder between March and Aug. 15 will be offered the opportunity to re-book those sailing dates on the Magic, Foley said. Passengers who can be re-booked into the same stateroom will be given $250 to spend on board, she said. Passengers who are unable to book into the same stateroom will be given a $500 credit.

Foley said the company began closing the books on spring reservations when it appeared the Wonder would be delayed.

The Wonder will follow the same itinerary as the Magic, sailing from Port Canaveral on three- and four-day cruises to the Bahamas, including a last-day stop at Castaway Cay, Disney's private island.

I think the Magic is in need of a real overhaul, especially to the cabins.

Filthy looking grout (from years of staining, not laziness on our room stewards part) so bad I hesitated to put my baby in the tub to bathe her, but what choice did I have? Unappealing. I expect a cruise stateroom to be smaller but at least as nice and at least as clean as what I have at home- why vacation to experience dirtiness and poor repair?

I think it would be cool for the Magic to have a huge overhaul in celebration of her 15th. Is there any other ship yard in Italy besides the people who built the Magic? I WONDER (haha, :D) if there is any other ship yard they would use since they were disappointed with the construction co.?

i also didnt know the Magic and Wonder had exactly identical itineraries at the very beginning. I thought once the Wonder arrived in 1999 the Magic then started sailing the Caribbean. I guess they waited a few years.

DCL had a lot of issues with the quality of work at Fincantieri. DCL had the 'nerve' to require that the shipyard build the ships to plans and spec. The shipyard had to do a lot of things like add a lot of pipe hangers, change a lot of installed materals and there were problems with fit and finish such as the bad epoxy in the Mickey pool. That was a reason why the Magic was months late in delivery and why they had Meyer-Werft build the Dream and Fantasy.

This is not surprising about Fincatieri. If you go over to the Oceania board you can read about the debacle of the delayed inaugural voyage of Riviera in late April and cancellation of the second cruise in early May because of an on-going strike at Fincatieri in Genoa. Not a good situation....

At the same time, Fantasy is on time heading into sea trials from Meyer-Werft.

I agree that Magic needs an overhaul soon. We did one of the Baltic cruises on her in 2010 and were surprised at how worn Magic looked at that time.

Currently the last Magic sailing is at the end of August in 2013. There is nothing on the schedule past that however people have found it on the port schedules for Gibraltar and Madeira in mid-October which would imply a repositioning cruise. This gives over a month for dry dock/renovations somewhere in Europe.

Jim

I think it would be cool for the Magic to have a huge overhaul in celebration of her 15th. Is there any other ship yard in Italy besides the people who built the Magic? I WONDER (haha, :D) if there is any other ship yard they would use since they were disappointed with the construction co.?

i also didnt know the Magic and Wonder had exactly identical itineraries at the very beginning. I thought once the Wonder arrived in 1999 the Magic then started sailing the Caribbean. I guess they waited a few years.

I forget the exact date, but I want to say that it was about a year that they shared the same itineraries.

This is not surprising about Fincatieri. If you go over to the Oceania board you can read about the debacle of the delayed inaugural voyage of Riviera in late April and cancellation of the second cruise in early May because of an on-going strike at Fincatieri in Genoa. Not a good situation....

At the same time, Fantasy is on time heading into sea trials from Meyer-Werft.

I agree that Magic needs an overhaul soon. We did one of the Baltic cruises on her in 2010 and were surprised at how worn Magic looked at that time.

If you were on the Magic in 2010, she had her drydock when she got back to the states. We were on her first cruise post drydock. typically after a certain point, most lines wont do anything with a ship, if that particular issue is scheduled to be dealt with in drydock. On the other hand, if its vital to operations, like say a broken water pipe, in the kitchen that supplies the main rest. that willl get fixed right away.

nothing about the interior of a ship requires a drydock period. ANY and I mean ANY repair or refurbishment to an interior system of the ship can be done with the ship underway or dockside.

a drydock (dd) period - that is bringing the ship out of the water - is done ONLY to inspect and repair the underwater hull & equipment (props, rudders "pods' when applic') and the thru the hull penetrations (the holes that let water in and out as required to support the machinery) and the ship is refloated as soon as possible because sitting in a dd is $$$$$$$$$

Many interior repairs or re-habs are completed during a dd period because the dd period REQUIRES the entire ship to be out of service. But there is nothing stopping rehab of part of a ship during sailing. For example when Magic and Wonder had the exercise area expanded (and the bridge overlook removed) this work was begun during a dd, but not completed until after the ship was back in service . . .

nothing about the interior of a ship requires a drydock period. ANY and I mean ANY repair or refurbishment to an interior system of the ship can be done with the ship underway or dockside.

a drydock (dd) period - that is bringing the ship out of the water - is done ONLY to inspect and repair the underwater hull & equipment (props, rudders "pods' when applic') and the thru the hull penetrations (the holes that let water in and out as required to support the machinery) and the ship is refloated as soon as possible because sitting in a dd is $$$$$$$$$

Many interior repairs or re-habs are completed during a dd period because the dd period REQUIRES the entire ship to be out of service. But there is nothing stopping rehab of part of a ship during sailing. For example when Magic and Wonder had the exercise area expanded (and the bridge overlook removed) this work was begun during a dd, but not completed until after the ship was back in service . . .

Capt, you are of course totally correct.......I think alot of folks use the term*drydock* to mean any *shipyard* or *idle time* period.

AKK

Please don't believe everything you read here. Sometimes people are mis-informed, or not knowledgeable about what they think they know!

Currently the last Magic sailing is at the end of August in 2013. There is nothing on the schedule past that however people have found it on the port schedules for Gibraltar and Madeira in mid-October which would imply a repositioning cruise. This gives over a month for dry dock/renovations somewhere in Europe.

Jim

The Wonder is showing up in Hi if Im not mistaken after her last posted cruise. DCL hasnt released what the 2 ships are doing after a certain point. It is possible she could go to a yard in Italy or anywhere else in Europe for that matter, but we wont know until her August 2013 sailings are released. I think several if not all of the original Fincantieri shipyards are now owned by ATX.(Same comp that built the new QM2) The best way to tell, is to look at her bookings until the end of 2013 and look for at least a 2 week gap if not longer, with no cruises scheduled.

I just found the exact year. The Magic entered service in July of 98. The Wonder August of 99. The Magic started the 7 day trips to the Carribean in May of 02.

Archived