Some questions about restaurants on cruise ships

gavagai

I am a first time cruiser (to be) and these boards have helped me a lot when it comes to understanding this special world of cruising. :) However, there is a lot of talk about the restaurats onboard, and it is all still not clear to me. Maybe you could help me? (I am going on the MSC Lirica, and maybe I should ask at the MSC board as well, but I will start here, since my questions are quite "general".)

How many different kinds of restaurants are there and what are they called (I see the abbreviation MDR a lot...)? I guess there is a buffet type restaurants and restaurants where you order your food from a menu? Are there restaurants included in the price of the cruise and others that aren't and how do I tell the difference? (Just trying to prepare myself so I won't look too stupid once on the ship :).) Is there always a choice between buffet and food to order (at all meals)? and do I have a table reservation at both places? or when do I choose between them (make a reservation)? Can I change my mind last minute?

Lots of questions, sorry. :o But I am all new to this, and just want to get how it all works.

MDR is the Main Dining Room...that's included in your fare. Not familiar with MSC, but you will probably have some sort of buffet/cafeteria venue included, too. Generally, you will have a table assignment for dinner in the MDR, but not for other meals....that will be "open" seating.

Some cruiselines offer "specialty" restaurants, that carry an additional fee to use....but on some luxury lines, there's no additional fee for many of those "specialty" places. Your best bet is to post your ship-specific questions on the MSC boards!

I am a first time cruiser (to be) and these boards have helped me a lot when it comes to understanding this special world of cruising. :) However, there is a lot of talk about the restaurats onboard, and it is all still not clear to me. Maybe you could help me? (I am going on the MSC Lirica, and maybe I should ask at the MSC board as well, but I will start here, since my questions are quite "general".) I agree, the MSC board is a good place to go.

How many different kinds of restaurants are there and what are they called (I see the abbreviation MDR a lot...)Varies by cruise line? I guess there is a buffet type restaurants Yesand restaurants where you order your food from a menu Yes? Are there restaurants included in the price of the cruise Yesand others that aren't Yesand how do I tell the difference? They will be identified on the ship, and if you do research on the MSC board or other cruise line boards.(Just trying to prepare myself so I won't look too stupid once on the ship :).) Is there always a choice between buffet and food to order (at all meals)? That varies by cruise line, but generally yesand do I have a table reservation at both places Again, varies by cruise line? or when do I choose between them (make a reservation)? Can I change my mind last minute? Usually yes. Sometimes you pay when you make reservations in a for fee/added charge resturant, so getting your money back if you cancel is a consideration.

Lots of questions, sorry. :o But I am all new to this, and just want to get how it all works.

MDR= Main Dining Room

On most cruise lines you will be required to select some sort of dining schedule in the MDR, even though that can be "Open Seating", which means, simply, you can come when you wish. "Traditional Dining" means eating at the same time, table and with the same people every night.

After getting this assigned, you may also eat at any other dining location on ship. Some of those are free, some not. Some require reservations, some don't.

You would be better asking on the MSC section, as the answer can vary by ship.

MDR=Main Dining Room. Most people eat dinner there most or even every night. This is where the Tradional Dining (TD) and Anytime Dining (AD - may have similar name on MSC) are served. On most ships, the MDR is also open for breakfast and lunch with open seating. Some ships close the MDR for lunch on port days.

The Buffet (often on the Lido deck and called the Lido) is open for all three meals and most of the time in between. Some close from about midnight till 5am.

Room service is available 24 hours

Most now have a hamburger grill and a pizzeria. All of the above are included in the price you pay for the cruise.

Most ships today also have one or more specialty restaurants. These come with a cover charge of $20 to $75 or so.

Archived