Early or late dinner?

Butterscotch 76

I am embarking on my first cruise in exactly two days (whoo hoo!) and was randomly wondering if there are any perks with early or late dining or is it based on preference only? Is one more crowded than the other? Which time slot is more likely to conflict with nighttime entertainment/shows/etc.? How long is dinner served in the Main Dining Room anyway?

Thanks! :D

The shows are timed such that the late dinner seating attends the 7 PM show while the early seating attends the 9 PM show. Thus the early seating attends the show after dinner while the late seating attends the show before dining. One frequent topic of conversation at the late dinner seating is the quality of the show. On formal nights the show times are often altered so that there is a 10:30 PM show for the late dinner seating.

As for perks, less children at late seating. They also have anytime dining option, you have dinner at your convenience.

Absolutely correct. If I'm with my children we select the early dining. If it's me and DW we select late sitting. We do like the specific time sitting vs. Anytine dining because you get the same servers and have found to have received better service that way.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

You should try to eat as close as possible to your normal dining times...your tummy will thank you!

We eat late at home...and do so on the ship or any vacation spot!

If you have kids who want to participate in the evening activities, then early (main) seating is best....their things are scheduled around that timeframe.

We prefer late seating. We've had early seating and changed to late. We found early seating to be too much of a rush after leaving a port and getting ready for dinner. For our late seating, we'll get a snack, often through room service, and eat it on the balcony or we'll go up to the buffet for some sushi.

We prefer late. We like to have a late lunch after returning from port, then we have time to relax, and are not rushed getting to dinner. Late dinner generally is less crowded as well. On our next cruise we will be in Aqua class, so we can go to dinner anytime which is good as well.

We've tried early dining and while it was nice to have the entire evening free afterward we really prefer having the time before dinner that the late seating offers. Late seating times allow us to be able to enjoy a leisurely sail away from ports as well as time to relax after a busy port day and still having plenty of time to enjoy a before dinner drink with friends at one of the lounges. With early seating we needed to start getting ready for dinner about the time the ship was usually leaving port or not much afterwards.

We also prefer the earlier seating. It is closer to our usual dinner time and I don't feel that I am going to bed with a full stomach of food. It has a chance to digest a bit before bedtime. I think it's all personal preference. Children in the MDR have never been an issue with us...even on Disney. :D

We've tried both and discovered that for us it's no contest -- late seating is better. Many times we've been on long tours and had those with early dining have to sprint back down the pier to get to dinner without having time to get cleaned up. We're on vacation to relax and while we don't eat at 8:30 pm at home, we never have any problem adjusting to that schedule since we typically stay up until at least 11 pm. We like to maximize our time in ports and early dining has always resulted in us feeling rushed; which is not what we want on vacation. We've also found that late seating tends to be less crowded (at least on Celebrity) so we get better, faster service in the MDR. Bottom line, it's absolutely personal preference but unless you are someone that normally goes to bed at 9 pm, you may appreciate the more leisurely pace that late seating affords.

I actually think it depends on what time you get up... we are early risers...even on a cruise... so take all our meals early, select earlier excursion times (if there is a choice), and the main seating works well for the entire orientation of our day. Plus as other have noted, it's nice to work off some of that dinner around the ship for a few hours before a decaf on the veranda and bed.

The good news is that there are two seatings (plus choose your own time) so that no matter your preference it can align well. For us, set dining time, along with dressing for some of the dinners, is what distinguishes a cruise from any other type of vacation... and we relish the distinction!

No matter when you dine... enjoy!

Hi, Butterscotch;

You're right; it's a question of preference. DW and I always eat late because:

1.) We never go to bed early so it doesn't bother us to eat late while on holiday.

2.) Ship entertainment schedules generally allow both early and late diners to see the shows.

3.) Fewer young children at the late seating.

4.) Fewer people overall at the late seating - service is probably better. (I've never tried the early seating, so I can't say for sure.)

5.) When you come back from a shore excursion, you don't have to rush to be on time for dinner. You have time to lie down, go to the gym, sit by the pool, explore the ship, sit in a bar, etc.

6.) Similarly, on sea days you don't have to leave the afternoon sun early to get ready.

I'm sure those who prefer early seatings have equally valid reasons. Choose what's right for you, and have a great cruise!

Arthur C.

Dinner at 8:30 is just too late for us. You should not eat three hours prior to going to bed. It all goes to fat.

Calories are calories, regardless of when they're consumed.

For us, we like late seating. I'm of Eurpoean heritage, grew up eating dinner late, and still do. And I'm not fat.

Hi, Butterscotch;

You're right; it's a question of preference. DW and I always eat late because:

1.) We never go to bed early so it doesn't bother us to eat late while on holiday.

2.) Ship entertainment schedules generally allow both early and late diners to see the shows.

3.) Fewer young children at the late seating.

4.) Fewer people overall at the late seating - service is probably better. (I've never tried the early seating, so I can't say for sure.)

5.) When you come back from a shore excursion, you don't have to rush to be on time for dinner. You have time to lie down, go to the gym, sit by the pool, explore the ship, sit in a bar, etc.

6.) Similarly, on sea days you don't have to leave the afternoon sun early to get ready.

I'm sure those who prefer early seatings have equally valid reasons. Choose what's right for you, and have a great cruise!

Arthur C.

Hi Butterscotch 76,

Another Night Owl by nature here... so I agree 100% with ARTMC here as to why we enjoyed the Traditional Dining "Late Seating" for our recent cruise (ALL are very valid reasons, IMO)

If we were to cruise again, we might consider Select just to see what that is like... especially if it was a "Port Intensive" vacation... knowing that we'd have to go to bed earlier, and get up earlier, in order to pack all that we could into our day.

As stated, there is no right or wrong to this one... just a personal choice. And the great thing that we've discovered about cruising is there are TONS of choices... something for everyone... cruising is a very pleasant and relaxing (pampered) holiday, the biggest challenge on any day we found was "choosing" from ALL that was available.

Enjoy !!

Cheers!

Calories are calories' date=' regardless of when they're consumed.

For us, we like late seating. I'm of Eurpoean heritage, grew up eating dinner late, and still do. And I'm not fat.[/quote']

You may not be fat, but that is likely a product of your metabolism, what your eat and how much you exercise.

My Daughter has a Master's Degree in Health and can quote you chapter in verse about eating soon before your go to bed, something about increase relative fat absorption.

I do think the most important think is what and how much you eat, not when you eat.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/87749-eating-before-bed-gaining/

You may not be fat, but that is likely a product of your metabolism, what your eat and how much you exercise.

My Daughter has a Master's Degree in Health and can quote you chapter in verse about eating soon before your go to bed, something about increase relative fat absorption.

I do think the most important think is what and how much you eat, not when you eat.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/87749-eating-before-bed-gaining/

I've heard that as well... but while on a cruise I am on vacation so I try to live a little and not count calories while cruising.

We've always done the early seating but I am thinking for our next cruise we might try to the late seating. Just to switch things up a bit.

Archived