Internet Minutes - Better deal buying ahead or same as buying onboard?

pmd98052

I've seen conflicting info on this so thought I'd ask the experts!

If I buy minutes ahead of time on Princess.com I can get 310 mins for ~$103

How much is buying an equivalent amount onboard with the promotions they have on the first day?

Buying the first day will gtive you x amount bonus minutes depending on which package you buy. If you pre-buy, you get double the bonus minutes. There ws another thread today about this, with the package rates. Scroll down to see if you find it. EM

We were on the Diamond in November/December. We pre purchased our internet thinking this was the best idea. NO it was not, you could get the same deal on board plus, us, being in Australia, Princess Aust charged us in US dollars, then converted to Australia dollars before it went on our card.

I expected that would just charge us US dollars and then our bank would do the conversion. I think I ended paying an extra $20 on top of our package. So I guess, if you were in the USA it would be okay, but certainly not for us. On our next cruise, I will just purchase as soon as we board, you still ge the bonus!

So has something changed recently and its a better deal to just wait?

Double the minutes seems like a better deal than "xx" free on top but I can't seem to find accurate information on specifics?

Not double the minutes, but double the "free" minutes.

Examples:

But a 100 minute package in advance, get 20 bonus minutes. Onboard bonus the first day is 10 minutes.

But a 150 minute package in advance, get 40 bonus minutes, Onboard bonus the first day is 20 minutes.

But a 250 minute package in advance, get 60 bonus minutes, Onboard bonus the first day is 30 minutes.

• 1 month later...

Here's a different twist to this I could find the answer to....but I faith somebody will know the answer

If you buy your mins ahead, yes you get extra minutes.......BUT, if you're Platinum/Elite you don't have to pay an activiation fee......AND these prepaid amounts you buy you are paying the $3.95 fee !! So anybody have any experience on how that worked? They credit you back or what?

1.) Is this (pre-booking it) under the Cruise Personalizer online? I must be missing it.

2.) For iPads, do you leave your iPad on Airplane Mode...then compose emails....then undo Airplane Mode so that you're using the WiFi to send the email (which will probably be a few minutes depending on the speed)...and then put it back to Airplane Mode to shut off the wireless?

Thanks!

1.) Is this (pre-booking it) under the Cruise Personalizer online? I must be missing it.

2.) For iPads, do you leave your iPad on Airplane Mode...then compose emails....then undo Airplane Mode so that you're using the WiFi to send the email (which will probably be a few minutes depending on the speed)...and then put it back to Airplane Mode to shut off the wireless?

Thanks!

Hopefully someone can provide the link. Its not in the personazer, but elsewhere.

And yes, you can compose offline and go on line to send and download new messages, then read them off line. Saves a lot of minutes!

Thanks!

You purchase it as a Gift to yourself.

I think you need to be sure to log out - not just turn off your WiFi. You may want to search for previous postings about iPads - I think I've seen posts about them not working so well with WiFi onboard (don't have one so I didn't really pay attention).

Here's a different twist to this I could find the answer to....but I faith somebody will know the answer

If you buy your mins ahead, yes you get extra minutes.......BUT, if you're Platinum/Elite you don't have to pay an activiation fee......AND these prepaid amounts you buy you are paying the $3.95 fee !! So anybody have any experience on how that worked? They credit you back or what?

If you pre-purchase and are platinum/elite, you cannot use your "free" Internet benefit for the pre-purchased package.

You will have to pay for that package (including the activation fee) and then get free additional minutes with your platinum/elite benefit.

well....it's looks as if you're Elite/Platinum, buying mins ahead isn't a good thang since ya have to pay the $3.95.....or is it? Too late to figure it out if buying the 250 Pkg is good to do...the extra mins Vs the $3.95 :D

You can NOT use the Elite/Platinum credit to prepurchase minutes. You will have to pay with a credit card. The credit only applies to minutes bought on board.

We just sailed on Ruby and per previous experience, bought ahead to receive our bonus minutes. The Ruby was trying out a newer, faster internet service however and advertised bonus minutes on board.

Here is the breakdown. (3/11-18/2012) 100 min=$19, 150 min=$25, 250 min=$33, 500 min=$59. They advertised it as an upgraded service and suggested you share your cruise via twitter or facebook! :eek: I thought it has always been discouraged to use social media. We did have good service in cabin on Caribe deck, with only trouble in trying to log out. :rolleyes:

These are prices that were in Patters daily.

I guess I should have specified......if you buy alot of mins, as in more than the free ones they're getting ya, you just as well buy them onboard or not. I was talking about buying 250 mins now (vs waiting until you get on) and then I'd also have the free mins as well once onboard. So that is why I was curious if buying them now (paying the $3.95 and Xtra Mins) is better than waiting to get onboard (and not pay the $3.95)....so that should be alittle clearer now (I hope) as to what I was trying to figure out

I guess I should have specified......if you buy alot of mins, as in more than the free ones they're getting ya, you just as well buy them onboard or not. I was talking about buying 250 mins now (vs waiting until you get on) and then I'd also have the free mins as well once onboard. So that is why I was curious if buying them now (paying the $3.95 and Xtra Mins) is better than waiting to get onboard (and not pay the $3.95)....so that should be alittle clearer now (I hope) as to what I was trying to figure out

They last few times I used the Elite/Platinum credit, they offered a larger plan at low cost. As I recall I was getting 500 minutes for free and they offerred 800 for $100

Archived