When done with room service food & tray

osucruise

Quick question. what is the proper way to handle room service dining when you are done. If late at nite do you stick outside room? To me the hallways are too small but we always do that in Vegas. Any suggestions would be great, do not want to unpleasent staff or other guests.

Quick question. what is the proper way to handle room service dining when you are done. If late at nite do you stick outside room? To me the hallways are too small but we always do that in Vegas. Any suggestions would be great, do not want to unpleasent staff or other guests.

Sometimes I do put it in the hall, but other times I leave it in the cabin until the next day (if it's just empty plates). I'm kind of thinking you can also call them to pick it up? I can't remember.

We left ours in our room but then again it wasn't late at night. It was the middle of the afternoon and the room steward still had to come in for nightly turndown. We did make sure everything was "nice and neat" so food wasn't going to fall on the floor or anything and we sat it on the "counter" under the tv.

I always leave the tray in the room. It is a safety hazard with trays all up and down the hallways. (Not to mention an eyesore.)

Ditto, we always leave them in the room and when we come back they are magically gone LOL

We leave them in the hall. If they still gave canapes, we'd toss those, too.

The trays are a hazard IN the room too. I don't care for spilled food and drink in the cabin. Besides, if we don't occupy the space immediately outside our cabin, some neighbor will.

Too often we have returned to find a tray still in our cabin. I guess it was because the steward didn't know if we were finished or not. Outside, there is no doubt.

Besides, if they can avoid stepping in it, drunks can help themselves to leftovers. It's kind of like with Santa Claus.

We usually keep the trays in our room. Sometimes if there is only one tray we might put it out in the hall, but not often.

A few years ago we went on a cruise with SIL and BIL and they were really put out by the trays in the hallway (there really did not seem to be many). It never bothers me, but to each their own.

We just came from a cruise on RCL's Voyager of the Seas and when we finished with our room service items we called to let them know that we were finished, thinking they would come to our stateroom to pickup the dishes and tray. We were told by the person answering the phone to just leave them outside our door and someone who be by later to pick them up.

After reading several posts here at CC on this subject I hesitated because I read that people in wheel chairs sometime have trouble maneuvering around trays and dishes left in the hallways. But since I was asked to leave them there I did and was glad to hear someone pick them up about 30 minutes later.

I asked my cabin steward on the Miracle in Dec. and was told to put it in the hall. The halls on the Miracle are very narrow compared to the other classes. I did see someone with a cart once picking up the trays that were in the hall.

I used to leave mine in the hall but then someone once mentioned about the narrow hallways. People in wheelchairs or walkers and kids sometimes play in the halls. So now I leave mine in the cabin.

I thought about the wheelchairs but remembered some people leave those in the halls, too! :eek: I think those and the electric thingys are begging for some hooligan to mess with them. Personally, I don't think kids should be playing in the halls and especially not running.

DSC_2898.JPG

I am so surprised no one has thought of this or mentioned it........

If they deliver room service........can't they take back a few trays in the halls instead of being empty handed?

Probably exactly what they do. I know in my hotel room service days years ago we would pick up as much as we could on the way back from a delivery. Plus do hall walks of every floor every few hours unless we were super busy. We couldn't end our shift unless every hall had been walked and all trays picked up.

It was common at night to ask people to leave the trays in the hall for pickup so that the guest could go on to sleep and not have to wait until someone was available to come get the tray.

In the hallway, stack all empty plates and covers together - all food stuffs on top plate with a single cover on top (use common sense, don't make the leaning tower of plates or anything, just stack neatly) ... put in front of your door, or to the right or left in the alcove. Not much of a hazard there and you won't need to smell your leftover food all night long. They do pick up regularly from what I have seen.

I have always wondered about the scooters - people park them in the hallway even when they are in the oversized handicapped rooms ... why? I would think the size of the handicapped rooms is so that they are able to accomodate someone who is wheelchair bound, or who needs space to store such equipment. wheelchairs folded are not so much a hazard as a scooter than cannot be moved without the key. Anyway, that wasn't the topic, so ... off my soapbox :eek::p

We leave them in the hall. If they still gave canapes, we'd toss those, too.

The trays are a hazard IN the room too. I don't care for spilled food and drink in the cabin. Besides, if we don't occupy the space immediately outside our cabin, some neighbor will.

Too often we have returned to find a tray still in our cabin. I guess it was because the steward didn't know if we were finished or not. Outside, there is no doubt.

Besides, if they can avoid stepping in it, drunks can help themselves to leftovers. It's kind of like with Santa Claus.

I have seen people picking at food on the trays late at night. I thought it was the funniest thing.

The room service people and the stewards say to please leave the tray in the room until the morning

and then they will take care of it. They say it can be a danger in the hallway.

I agree. I hate to see people's slop out in the public hallway! :eek:

Clean it up as best you can and temporarily store it in your bathroom

until service people can remove it.

Better yet, eat in the dining rooms, not in your cabin: that's the sort of thing that encourages ROACHES!

throw any uneaten food away, drain and uneaten drinks, and place under your sink in the bathroom. plenty of room and out of the way.

placing trays and food out in the hall is not only barbaric and disgusting, it brings out the rodents.

if you don't do it at home, don't do it in public.

Archived