Another Passport Question?! My Passport and Driver's Licence have diff last names???

chipmunkdream

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already........BUT

After we booked our trip we realized that I have had my passport before being married. It has my maiden name and all my other ID's have my current married name....Our travel agent has changed my name with Carnival to my maiden name....So 2 questions really

1 ) Is my passport all the ID I need? I have read some that you may also need a driver's licence,etc... as well as your passport...

2 ) Now I have a different last name then the children. Can this pose problems?

--- We are travelling from Canada and flying into Flordia---

I have learned sooo much from reading these boards. Alot of useful information and tips here for first timer's :)

Thank you for any help provided

Your name on your passport and your cruise documents need to match, or you need to bring your marriage certificate. You do not need your drivers license to match if you are using your passport to board the ship and to return to the ship from a port.

If your name doesn't match your childrens names then you will probably need a document from the other parent that you have permission to leave not only Canada with them but then the US. The shoreside agents will want to see that.

2 ) Now I have a different last name then the children. Can this pose problems?

--- We are travelling from Canada and flying into Flordia---

I am assuming the childen have a father that isn't your husband? You will need to get him to sign a notarized permission to travel letter. I have always been asked for this when traveling between the US and Canada without my DH and with a child.

I am assuming the childen have a father that isn't your husband? You will need to get him to sign a notarized permission to travel letter. I have always been asked for this when traveling between the US and Canada without my DH and with a child.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I took it to mean that her husband is her children's father, and they all have the same last name. But she got her passport before she was married, and thus it's in her maiden name.

There are some ports of call where they check your drivers license as well as your Seapass (or whatever Carnival calls it) to let you back on the ship. I don't know if a passport would be sufficient for that or not. I would think it would, but I don't know.

To me, it sounds like the easiest thing to do would be to change your reservation back to your married name, then go get your passport reissued with that name. Your countdown clocks shows that your cruise isn't until August, so I would think that would be plenty of time.

I think you are saying that you were born Jane Smith. You married John Jones, changed your last name on your driver's license, and you're now known as Jane Jones in daily life.

However, you are booked on this cruise as Jane Smith traveling with John Jones and the Jones children, and you are worried that someone might be concerned that the children are traveling without their mother, even though that is not the case. Is that right?

I really doubt if anyone is going to question you about this. Especially if the children are old enough to assert that you are indeed their mother. However, having documented proof in case you need it is a good idea. Do your children's birth certificates have your maiden name on them (ours do)? If so, bring them, even if the children are traveling on passports. If not, bring your marriage certificate. Don't show extra documents unless you are asked for them.

There are some ports of call where they check your drivers license as well as your Seapass (or whatever Carnival calls it) to let you back on the ship. I don't know if a passport would be sufficient for that or not. I would think it would, but I don't know.

They don't check your driver's license. They check your government-issued photo ID. And a passport is even better than a driver's license in terms of government-issued photo ID. So she'd be fine.

Until my Hurricane Ike experience, I never took my driver's license on a cruise. I figured, I have a ride to the airport, why bother taking it?

Then my ship arrived in Galveston on a Thursday with Ike due to arrive on Friday; I couldn't get a cab to the airport, and thought of renting a car. No license, no rental. Now I take the DL along, just in case some emergency crops up where I need to rent a car.

I really doubt if anyone is going to question you about this. Especially if the children are old enough to assert that you are indeed their mother. However, having documented proof in case you need it is a good idea. Do your children's birth certificates have your maiden name on them (ours do)? If so, bring them, even if the children are traveling on passports. If not, bring your marriage certificate. Don't show extra documents unless you are asked for them.

Impossible to say without further details, as it's unclear who the dad of these children is. I would assume that this is a "new" husband, as in her other post, one of the children is 13 years old. And, no one's passport is good for 13 years, though I am making the assumption she was married before she had the first child.

And, you are wrong that she can assume she won't be questioned. Traveling to/from the US/Canda immigration is very, very picky. I have always been asked to show this letter by the airline and by immigration. You can also be asked to show it when checking in for your cruise. If you don't have what they require, they can deny you boarding and you lose all your money.

But, all a moot point unless OP comes back and clarifies exactly what she's talking about.

Canadian passports are good for 5 yrs ..so I would just get a new passport in your married name

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/form/index.aspx?lang=eng

You have opened a can a worms by changing the reservation back to your maiden name, you probably could have just taken your marriage certificate/divorce papers

if the legal father of the children is not travelling with you then get a notarized letter of permission to take them from Canada

Maybe I'm wrong, but I took it to mean that her husband is her children's father, and they all have the same last name. But she got her passport before she was married, and thus it's in her maiden name.

I agree that is what she seems to be saying.

A passport trumps a drivers license. A passport is the best internationanl ID.

To me, it sounds like the easiest thing to do would be to change your reservation back to your married name, then go get your passport reissued with that name. Your countdown clocks shows that your cruise isn't until August, so I would think that would be plenty of time.

I think the reservation and passport in maiden name are fine seeing (presumably) they match. However, I don't know the rules as to how long after a name change/marriage, a passport must be corrected to name currently being used..... Legal name of the passport holder.

I would suggest checking about that.

It is easy enough to get a name change by providing marriage license, application and $$.

OP...... in which name did you book your air?

You must have a valid passport in order to fly internationally.

WOW, Thank you everyone....Sorry I had to work this evening :)

So, ( and yes it's complicated,lol ) my husband is NOT the father of my kids. However, both the kids legally had thier names changed to my husbands ( birth certs and all ). I realize I have to get a letter from thier father saying I can take them out of the country ( his name on thier birth cert )and that won't be an issue. I also had my name changed so all my day to day documents say my married name. I got my passport before the marriage, had it tucked away and never thought to change it when I changed everything else to my married name.

Our travel agent has changed everything with carnival so now i'm booked under my maiden name. I just wasn't sure if my passport would be the only form of ID I would need. I know a passport is the most acceptable with governement. But traveling out of the country, a couple time's lol, I just want to make sure I don't need my DL....

I'm not too worried about travelling with the kids and a different last name, but at the same time I didn't know if it may be an issue.

We don't have airline tickets booked yet ( and hadn't even thought of the name to book them in!!!! ) but when we do i'll use my maiden name :)

Again thanks again for all the reply's :) :) :)

That's the best plan.

Have your passport changed to your married name and

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE. :)

With a proper passport and documents in order, you can travel with a free mind. Much better than worrying about travel documents.

Sounds like you're now organised to be sorted. Always good to have things as simple in possible, just in case you come up against a 'job's worth' official who's having a bad day and being very picky!

And a passport always 'trumps' a driving licence. Not everyone who travels out of their country may have a driving licence, e.g. if they are epileptic they may never have had one. I have a very old UK driving licence, which is still valid for another 16+ years which is a paper one and doesn't have a photo on it! I hover between swapping it (at a price) for a photo-ID which has a limited duration and being a maverick and holding on to my old-fashioned one!

Enjoy your cruise :)

So, ( and yes it's complicated,lol ) my husband is NOT the father of my kids.

. That's what I thought you were saying.

However, both the kids legally had thier names changed to my husbands ( birth certs and all ). I realize I have to get a letter from thier father saying I can take them out of the country ( his name on thier birth cert )and that won't be an issue

I am really confused about your situation. How were you able to change your children's last name to your current husband's? Didn't their dad protest this? It appears your current husband did not adopt them, as you are taking about getting permission from their dad for travel. In the US, I believe the dad's name on a BC could only be changed with a legal adoption. And, if it was changed, no need for a letter from birth dad.

Our travel agent has changed everything with carnival so now i'm booked under my maiden name.

We don't have airline tickets booked yet ( and hadn't even thought of the name to book them in!!!! ) but when we do i'll use my maiden name :)

But you then go on to say:

Just discussed with DH and i'm just going to go update my passport to my current name before the cruise!

If you have your cruise booking in your previous name and you update your passport to your new married name, your booking should be in your "new" name. Also, the name on your airline ticket needs to match your passport.

If one has a seizure for any reason they cannot drive until a doctor clears them as seizure free for a given length of time. The seizure does not have to be caused by epilepsy. Few doctors will give permission to drive as they will be answerable for why they let their patient drive until they meet all health safety requirements.

If you were married one year from the application of your Passport, then there is no change fee. If not, then just bite-the-bullet and go get the Passport change. You are going to need it in the future anyway. I realize that it is $100.00+ but it really will save you a lot of aggrevation and problems with last names not matching etc..... Even if you have to budget down with an excursion or make concessions in another area, it really will be worth it to have the correct documentation.

The money that it will cost you to do-it-right, will give you the piece of mind that you will need to have a stress free trip.

Good luck.

:)

If you were married one year from the application of your Passport, then there is no change fee. If not, then just bite-the-bullet and go get the Passport change. You are going to need it in the future anyway. I realize that it is $100.00+

:)

It is $87 for Canadians for 5 years

Archived