LIVE from the Grand Princess - 14 days - February 4 - 18, 2012

Pia1913

Good Morning from St. Thomas where the skies are cloudy, but the sun is trying to come out. Still early, though, and expected temperature is expected to be somewhere in the 80 degree vicinity. The natives are really restless; itching to get off and spend their money here in Havensight. Not us. Get off; yes. Spend money; highly unlikely. Yes, folks, we are in Havensight. Announcement said we’d be in Crown Bay. Oh well, just more stores for Mike to look at.

So, we did in fact see the movie Ides of March last night. It really was a Ryan Gosling movie and not a George Clooney movie. Ryan had the lead role. Perfect movie for this time of year; oh so political and showing us what kind of shenanigans take place behind the scenes. This movie was advertised as an R, and it always amazes me how people get up and leave as soon as the first “dirty word” is uttered. What do they think R stands for?

Nothing exciting on board today; 2 short documentaries on MUTS and an afternoon movie in the theater Melancholia. Tonight is a repeat performance of Motor City and a comic/magician, Christopher James. MUTS will be showing Like Crazy at 7:45 and again at 10:15. I will be looking up both these movies and hopefully that’s what we will be doing today.

Bill: I can’t say. We don’t do deck parties

Linda: Didn’t really think I had to sign up since I’m already here. As for specialty dining, not something we do. I am a picky eater and just hunt and peck at the buffet.

Ubouu: EZ is always $20/pp, but if you’re on Air Canada, they are no longer in the program.

Alice: You can use your coffee card until it runs out of punches, but not for fresh brewed. Actually, let me qualify that. You can get fresh brewed with the old card, but it will cost you a punch.

Brandy: Not too cost effective for you to do it that way.

Folks: No sign of Noro here. Thank goodness. Pooh, pooh as “they” sometimes say to keep illness away.

Good Morning Pia and Mike

If you haven't made plans for Aruba, this sounds like fun (since you had a blast on the ATVs in Alaska). Just need to be able to drive a stick shift car they use a VW engine. We're thinking of doing this.

www.trikes-aruba.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g488162-d2097565-Reviews-Trikes_Aruba-Noord_Aruba.html

Great Pia,just wondering if you were attending -- see you next week - enjoy the posts - keeping fingers crossed everyone is well, noro can happen anywhere. I'm picky too but the MDR on Cel was usually good so I hear princess is comparable. Not too much variety after 2 nights at Cel buffets,

Smooth sailing,

Linda

The natives are really restless; itching to get off and spend their money here in Havensight.

That's where the Grand stopped on my cruise in Jan as well. We went downtown for my wife to look at shops, then came back and walked past pretty much the exact same set of shops located in the Havensight complex.

Pia,

I am keeping up with your trip. Does this mean that now they are punching the coffee card even for a brewed coffee? That is a waste! I will probably use the card for the Alaska cruise if I can hold it that long. Anything doing for the children? I guess they will have many on board the week we go? Since my cousin is coming, we will have 6 with us all 10 and under.

Enjoy. Regards to Mike.

Alice

Alice

What can I say about a day where all you did was exercise, eat, read, play losing trivia and nap? Wonderful! Incredibly, Mike asked this morning, “do you really want to get off the ship?” to which I replied WHAT???? This, from a man who loves shopping. It was great. We spent most of day on a chaise in the covered area of deck 14. We then went to the Elite lounge to use our free drink cards from yesterday. Frozen Margaritas for us. BTW, Mike won another one today. Went for a quickie dinner at HC and then attempted to watch “Like Crazy” on MUTS. Lasted ½ hour and still couldn’t figure it out. So, decided to check in here and then read for the remainder of the evening.

Tina: Donna did it last year. Mike said no, so I guess we don't do it.

Treesah: You're right. Trivia isn't too much fun when you're not traveling with your regular teams.

See you in the AM.

What can I say about a day where all you did was exercise, eat, read, play losing trivia and nap? Wonderful! Incredibly, Mike asked this morning, “do you really want to get off the ship?” to which I replied WHAT???? This, from a man who loves shopping. It was great. We spent most of day on a chaise in the covered area of deck 14. We then went to the Elite lounge to use our free drink cards from yesterday. Frozen Margaritas for us. BTW, Mike won another one today. Went for a quickie dinner at HC and then attempted to watch “Like Crazy” on MUTS. Lasted ½ hour and still couldn’t figure it out. So, decided to check in here and then read for the remainder of the evening.

Tina: Donna did it last year. Mike said no, so I guess we don't do it.

Treesah: You're right. Trivia isn't too much fun when you're not traveling with your regular teams.

See you in the AM.

Sounds like a wonderful day, Pia. So, did you like Ides of March? I'm a George Clooney fan as well but have no opinion either way on Ryan Gosling.

And a happy Thursday morning to all of you on a sunny and calm sea day. Nothing new to report about last night, unless you want to hear about Mike eating two bags of popcorn at bedtime. We got our official notice as to what we have to do on turnaround day, be off the ship no later than 9:45 and expect to be off until at least 10:30. We are hoping to be one of the last off. There are 860 staying aboard and I thought perhaps they would bring immigration on to do the clearance on board. I thought incorrectly.

Today at noon will be the most traveled luncheon, which is something we always enjoy. For those who know me, yes, my entrée will be chicken breast and broccoli. Also, they usually serve a wonderful seafood appetizer, but this time it will be foie gras. YUK! We’re having a fruit plate.

As always it’s either feast or famine. During the day nothing of consequence other than a culinary demo with a galley tour in the AM and an ice carving demo at noon. The old 75% (hahaha) off three hour sale at 10:00 and Puss in Boots on MUTS in the afternoon.

Night time has it all. At the same time: British Invasion in the theater and the comedian (one of few whom we really like) Al Katz, in Vista. And if you see either show, it will be very difficult to attend the Marriage Game in Explorer’s, since there’s a definite overlap. Tonight is also formal night with the Captain’s Circle Cocktail Party. There will be three of them; we go to the one at 6:15. Somewhere along the way people are supposed to have dinner. Like I said; feast or famine. Almost forgot. Evening movie on MUTS is Real Steel with Hugh Jackman. So many choices; so little time. Good thing we sail again next week. I think we had better see the comedian, since we know British Invasion will be presented again.

Amelia: Those rolls are not here

John: Adult pool is closest to buffet

Yes, we liked Ides of March.

Breakfast time.

There are 860 staying aboard and I thought perhaps they would bring immigration on to do the clearance on board. I thought incorrectly.

Oh Princess! When are you going to listen to us and bring back our 14 day cruises!! Please, please, please ...

If they don't listen to you, Pia, they must be truly deaf - so many of us enjoy your 'live from's' that you should count as a one-woman advertising agency ...

Keep up the good work, enjoy the rest of your cruise as we enjoy it through you.

Pia, I've been enjoying your thread very much. We'll be doing our first B2B on Grand Princess in January. So, questions....First, I'm very curious about you. To be #1, how many years have you been cruising and has most of it been since you're retired (I'm assuming you must be?) You don't seem to do any ship or private excursions nor do you appear to rent a car to go on your own so are you there basically for ship days relaxation, programs, food, service, and old/new friends rather than caring at all about itinerary? And, since you have probably seen most all the shows already, isn't a B2B really redundant for you since I have been told they just do repeat menus and repeat shows/movies/entertainment for the 2nd part? Do they have anything different for the second trip in terms of entertainment (individual performers, movies, lecturers?) Also, does the Grand compare almost exactly to the Golden, Crown, or Emerald (the only Princess ships that we have been on)? Do you ever use the library and if so, do they have a good fiction selection? Thanks!

Hi there & thank you!! We were on the Grand last summer and will be again this August!

Several have mentioned Roger Bilton as the Captain, and I can say he was indeed Captn last summer when we sailed. My brother in law is a Princess officer, and he told us Roger is the Captain, he didnt not mention anyone else?? Maybe he on leave??? (Just thinking out loud really!!)

I cant remember the CD's name we had, but it wasnt the chap you mentioned. I DO recall however that we really did NOT like his style and found him particularly rude and abrasive at times. We even commented so to Princess, post cruise.

Do keep posting, it is great to set us up for the summer! Enjoy your trip! x

Pia

I would be interested in knowing if you spot any/or are served any hors d'oeuvres tonight at the Captain Circle. We were on about 3 weeks ago and saw none. It was almost impossible to get a drink also. Have to say it was one of the most disappointing Captain Circle parties we have been too.

Thanks

Joe

Pia

I am also curious about the Captain's Cricle party. In November on the Emerald it was the absolute worst ever and we've been to many.

The drinks were watered down and the minimal food was cold.

My husband will never attend another party, but the rest of us are hoping the Grand will be better .

enjoying yours posts

I've enjoyed readimg your posts as I join you aboard on Saturday :) I'm sure looking forward to trying the new pizzeria.

Just wondering how many days you have to make #1? I've got a friend who is also sailing the next cruise with me and he gets mad if he is not #1. Me I just hope to make the luncheon :)

Archived