Is this cooler/rolling bag ok?

ardt64

We bought a nice rolling soft sided cooler that looks like and could easily be luggage. It is 17 high X10X12. I am sure if it put clothes in it there would be no problem checking it as luggage, but it would certainly work great to bring on our sodas. Any thoughts? I tried to attach a picture but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Lisa

The rules state 12 x 12 x 12 for coolers.. so you know going in its too big, so its taking a chance. Might or might not make it.

This. You're better off getting a collapsible soft cooler and folding it in your luggage.

If you want something to carry around the ship, check out the insulated lunch bags. You can get them at Target or your discount store of choice.

Here's an example:

225888101.jpg

Why do folks bring coolers? Just wondering, I have never found the need after 3 cruises. The soda I bring on board I put in the refridgerator after having the steward remove the other items for sale in it. And when I want a drink the ice bucket makes the drink cold. When away from the room I just get a glass of ice from a bar or food station to mix with my flask.

Is the cooler you all bring go to the pool with ya then?

Why do folks bring coolers? Just wondering, I have never found the need after 3 cruises. The soda I bring on board I put in the refridgerator after having the steward remove the other items for sale in it. And when I want a drink the ice bucket makes the drink cold. When away from the room I just get a glass of ice from a bar or food station to mix with my flask.

Not all ships have mini-bars in all rooms.

On a couple cruises, our fridge didn't get cold enough to chill our champagne. We no longer carry a cooler since we can only carry on one bottle each, but when we were able to carry on several, the collapsible cooler came in handy.

Id have dumped ice in one of my metal trash cans and used it without having to mess with a cooler.

I carry on my allowed wine. I just ask the cabin steward for one of the plastic beer buckets with ice and he keeps it full the entire cruise. No cooler needed.

I don't bring water or soda, as I'm perfectly fine drinking the ship's water and don't drink soda at all. If I did, I'd buy a soda sticker. And if I didn't "trust" the ship's water, I'd purchase that on board also.

Cruises are too short to load oneself down hauling extras on board!

When we were on the Dream we asked the room steward to clear our fridge..he said he couldn't do it because he didn't have the room to put the stuff....odd..because we've never ever had a problem doing that on any of our previous cruises! So we took the stuff out and put it in the bedside table...We put everything back in then night before the cruise was over.

Our fridge was not cold at all..our milk spoiled. Nothing stayed cold.

When we called to inquire about it we were informed that it was a "cooler" not a fridge !!!! Ummm ok.

When I got home there was 2 charges on my credit card for 2 small bottles of alcohol that were apparently taken from the bar "cooler" in our room. $14.84...I called customer service and complained. They said they'd start an investigation to reverse the charges. Those charges never were reversed and I got sick and tired of calling in to complain!

This is why we will bring a small cooler for our room to keep our drinks cold this cruise and keep the mini bar "cooler" locked !!!!!

On our last cruise I had a larger cooler with wheels and had it full of my carry on stuff. The attendant at the X-ray machine said I couldn't take it because it was a oversized cooler. I told her that I was not using it for a cooler, but to make it easier to carry on all my stuff. She talked to a supervisor and they let me continue through the line.

I think that I got lucky and won't take it again.

There have been a few threads about this and it seems that the waterproof lining is what Carnival looks for to determine if it's a cooler or luggage. So if your larger than 12x12x12 carryon has a waterproof liner, Carnival will likely call it a cooler and act accordingly. You might get lucky and sail right through or you may get it confiscated. It's a crap shoot....

Bob

When I got home there was 2 charges on my credit card for 2 small bottles of alcohol that were apparently taken from the bar "cooler" in our room. $14.84...I called customer service and complained. They said they'd start an investigation to reverse the charges. Those charges never were reversed and I got sick and tired of calling in to complain!

And you did not dispute the charge with the cred card company, why? :confused:

Since there is already a cooler thread, I'll go ahead and ask. Does the measurement guideline only apply to coolers going through as luggage? In other words, is the guideline the same if it's a collapsible cooler packed inside your luggage? We're going on a cruise without the fridge and in the past we were given the beer bucket which leaked horribly everywhere. Even with a towel, it would soak through and get things wet. We'll be taking soda bottles and I prefer drinking straight from the bottle because the ice hurts my teeth. I've been looking around for a small cooler but everything I've found at least one side is 15-17". I haven't found any 12x12x12 or less. Close, but slightly over.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I guess I will keep it at home since it does sound like it will be a no go.

I want a cooler because on the Elation only suites have a fridge. Not only do I want to keep sodas cold, but sometime I like to take a plate of food back to the room since I don't always want to eat on the ships schedule. I don't really eat breakfast but having some smoked salmon for a late afternoon snack is scrumptious.

I have something like this I pack in my checked bags

It measures 13.5" x 11.25" x 11.63"

It holds 36 cans

How much larger does someone need???

170362_05_propped.jpg

I doubt it's because anybody NEEDS larger although yours is larger than the "allowed size." Some people probably already own something and would rather use what they have than buy something new. I have the problem of not finding anything in the right dimensions, everything is a bit larger. Some of them are less than 36 inches when you count each side (12+12+12 vs 10+14+12 as an example) but one side is over the allowed 12 inches.

I doubt it's because anybody NEEDS larger although yours is larger than the "allowed size." Some people probably already own something and would rather use what they have than buy something new. I have the problem of not finding anything in the right dimensions, everything is a bit larger. Some of them are less than 36 inches when you count each side (12+12+12 vs 10+14+12 as an example) but one side is over the allowed 12 inches.

If you google them you can find plenty that will hold a case 24pack that fit those deminsions. If it is packed inside checked luggage they cant say anything.

Mine folds up almost flat and fits in the front pocket of my big suitcase

If you google them you can find plenty that will hold a case 24pack that fit those deminsions. If it is packed inside checked luggage they cant say anything.

Mine folds up almost flat and fits in the front pocket of my big suitcase

That's why I asked if the 12x12x12 guidelines apply to folded up coolers in checked baggage. I was curious if anybody definitively knows or if it's a matter of they haven't been caught yet. I will buy online if I must but I prefer to see the item in person to get a feel for how it would fit my needs (one example being seeing in person how well it folds up). And I've read stories of people trying to carry on a cooler with 12x12x12 interior dimensions but overall dimensions were slightly larger and they cooler was denied. Sometimes online purchases can be deceiving with the description.

I like my sodas very cold, but I don't like ice in my soda. Cooler cold is the way to go for me.

We've seen reports of these being turned away at the security point during check in... If it looks like a cooler they'll require you get rid of it or they'll confiscate it...

Better safe than sorry...

:)

It can look like a cooler as long as it's not bigger than 12"X12"X12" as it says in the CCL FAQ's Liquor & Beverage Policy as copied below.

Large cooler restrictions:

Carnival Cruise Lines does not allow guests to bring large coolers on board its ships. However small, personal-sized coolers, no larger than 12”H x 12”L x 12”W for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage. Screening and movement of large coolers through embarkation is an impediment to the boarding and security screening process. Therefore, large coolers are not permitted as carry-on or checked luggage.

We bought a hard sided rolling cooler at Walmart that measures 12X12X12, we took it on our cruise on the Spirit a year ago the end of this month, we had no problem. Took it on carrying our water, and some electronic stuff.

Archived