What is the mental block against handwashing??

tray

I don't hover either, but in one bathroom with self flushing toilets, the flusher was so violet that it sprayed toilet water all over the seat. So I grabbed another wad of toilet paper to wipe off the seat so that the next person wouldn't think I sprinkled, and set off the danged flusher again!

So it was a vicious cycle but I finally won!

There are several people in our office (professionals who wear suits and hose every day) who don't wash their hands. Trust me, we all know who they are. One of them likes to bake and bring her stuff up to the office. She pitched a fit one time when no one would eat her stuff. Someone told her, but it didn't change her hand washing behavior, so now we just take some of her stuff and throw it away elsewhere. It's easier than dealing with her since she obviously doesn't get it.

...which is all any of us can really do. There is no hope for some people, so why even try. :rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"no hope for some people, so why even try"

I'm glad we all didn't take that attitude back in time

when we were telling everyone to "Buckle Up"

Just have to add, please everyone think about those who will be using the restroom after you. While you may be fine, your actions in the long run will impact everyone.

One example that I have not seen mentioned on this thread is those that come out of the stall and get their towels PRIOR to washing their hands therefore spreading all their "ick" on the towel dispensor! Then they proceed to the sink, wash up and use the clean towel they have saved.

Too bad we can't all agree on what is the best way to keep us all safe. Guess it is keeping your wipes with you at all times and clean up after touching anything?????:(

"no hope for some people, so why even try"

I'm glad we all didn't take that attitude back in time

when we were telling everyone to "Buckle Up"

The topic is about hand washing, not seatbelts. Let's try to keep this in context.

Off the Jewel for a few weeks now....returned with a terrible case of eczema on my fingers....Dr said the over use of Purell could be the culprit...I was using it at all places it was stationed....so now when I cruise I need to just wash really well and avoid touching rails etc....because I won't be doing the Purell thing any longer I wonder what my fellow cruise passengers will think when I don't use it.

For those of us with Eczema, Purell/alcohol/humidity change/hot tubs/hot baths/ stress, excitment, nerves etc. all contribute to our condition. My hands were so flaky from the Purell stations that I developed sores, red blotches, and ring worm type sores all over my body. NO it is NOT ringworm, NO I am not contagious, yes I have a perscritpion. This is something some of us have to live with all the time, and once it comes out, we are more stressed over it and it gets worse before it gets better.I ALWAYS wash my hands after using the bathroom, but do try to avoid rails, doorknobs, evevator buttons and Purell stations while receiving hate looks. Just don't judge me/us with Eczema:(

I am NOT one of those people who are OCD about cleanliness. I do wash my hands frequently, but I will be one of those people who pass up to Purell. I do think we need *some* germs in our system for our bodies to grow accustomed to fighting them off, but when it comes to not washing hands after going to the bathroom, I gag. It's disgusting. Not just for me, either, for the non hand washer and the people they have to interact with. It makes me not want to shake hands with people anymore. Yuck!

CruizeFam: Oh yeah, I was tyring to be as polite as possible, but this is a speech I give FIVE year olds. And I remember getting this speech when I was five in school and even younger because my Mom ran a day care out of our home. It just baffles me that other people don't get it. That poster MUST be trolling!

Ocean Boy: You make me want to be male. :( Seriously, I wish I could stand up and pee. Not only because it seems cleaner, but because it would go so much faster!! Curse femaledom!

And with that, I must leave this thread. It's making me paranoid!

I missed alot while I was gone, and I can't believe I actually came back into this discussion..... but here is something that will make you gag a little:

I saw one of those 20/20 shows or whatever where they tested a bunch of shopping carts at the GROCERY STORE and found MORE fecal matter on them than on the stalls in the public restroom they tested. Eek!

I will wash my hands after the potty and continue to teach my kids to do so, but I am just going to not think too hard about any of this or I would go nuts. lol.

...they tested a bunch of shopping carts at the GROCERY STORE and found MORE fecal matter on them than on the stalls in the public restroom they tested. Eek!

I will wash my hands after the potty and continue to teach my kids to do so, ...

Which is why healthy humans have a dynamic immune system that generally does a good job at keeping us from getting sick from bacteria and viruses that we encounter everyday.

Handwashing is still the BEST. While sanitizers are good for situations where known infectious "germs" are present and could be passed easily to vulnerable people they are not really a good long-term, effective preventative.

I saw one of those 20/20 shows or whatever where they tested a bunch of shopping carts at the GROCERY STORE and found MORE fecal matter on them than on the stalls in the public restroom they tested. Eek!

Probably from those same little rug rats sitting in that little front seat of the cart that go into the pool with diapers on.;) OK.... I am kidding.... sort of.:D

Our infection control team at work (I work in healthcare) played a trick on us one year and sprayed a substance on paper and desks in a training course - we didn't know they had done it.

At the end of the day, after lunch and trips to the bathroom, they got out an ultra violet light and showed everyone how much they were covered and where we had touched with our hands - it was everywhere - clothes, walls, purses etc.

This showed us how far we pass germs - I wash my hands all the time including using hand gel.

Probably from those same little rug rats sitting in that little front seat of the cart that go into the pool with diapers on.;) OK.... I am kidding.... sort of.:D

Ha! :)

My point, of course, is that germs are all around us. Yes, public restrooms are gross, but so is just about everywhere else.

And Tigger - that must have been quite enlightening!

3 cheers for immune systems! ;)

For all those complaining about whizz on the toilet seat, according to the instructor in my Certified Pool Operators class, it actually contains ammonia, which makes it more of a cleaner than a serious germ spreader. Fecal matter, on the other hand, has the bacteria that will really make you sick.

The worst culprit is saliva and snot from the nose. So what makes me shudder is the person who gets their business done, washes their hands, then blows their nose and walks out. Once again according to the instructor, this person is doing the most damage.

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth :(

It happens everywhere not just on ships. I hear women leave the office bathroom without washing or just splashing water on their hands (as if that helps).

Agree! I work in an office that shares a bathroom with the office next door. There is a woman from the other office who continually leaves the stall and exits out the door without washing her hands. It's the same woman every time. As a result, we all use paper towels to hold the door handle. Who knows what she could spread to us.

Like the OP, I don't understand why anyone wouldn't wash their hands. It's refreshing to have nicely washed hands, don't ya think???

All the hand washing in the world isn't going to reduce your risk on a ship when there is a noro outbreak. I happen to be a germaphobe and wash my hands probably way too many times a day. I never touch my eyes or my mouth with my hands either. Truly, I'm a bit nuts about germs, but no matter how scrupulous you are about cleanliness, if you happen to find yourself on a ship with a norovirus outbreak, hand washing freaks have just as good a chance of getting sick as those who never wash their hands.

@Older Party... yeah, because some jerk will always NOT wash his hands, and will touch everything!

Epidemiology of transmission

Noroviruses are highly contagious, with as few as 18

virus particles thought to be sufficient to cause infection.

This pathogen is estimated to be the causative agent

in over 21 million gastroenteritis cases every year in

the United States, representing approximately 60% of

all acute gastroenteritis cases from known pathogens.

Noroviruses are transmitted primarily through the fecaloral route, either by direct person-to-person spread or

fecally contaminated food or water. Noroviruses can

also spread via a droplet route from vomitus. These

viruses are relatively stable in the environment and

can survive freezing and heating to 60°C (140°F).

I was just thinking "who are these people who don't wash their hands. I bet it is mostly men." But then I watched the most recent episode of the Jersey Shore (laugh all you want at that part!) and Snooki was complaining about having a UTI (also caused by fecal contamination), and walked out of the bathroom stall and announced "I'm not washing my hands!" Deena then announced "Oh, I never do!"

What the freak people!?!? Dirty, nasty, disgusting, trash. And I'm not just talking about those two from MTV... I'm talking about anyone who has ever walked out of a bathroom without washing their hands!

All the hand washing in the world isn't going to reduce your risk on a ship when there is a noro outbreak. I happen to be a germaphobe and wash my hands probably way too many times a day. I never touch my eyes or my mouth with my hands either. Truly, I'm a bit nuts about germs, but no matter how scrupulous you are about cleanliness, if you happen to find yourself on a ship with a norovirus outbreak, hand washing freaks have just as good a chance of getting sick as those who never wash their hands.

Especially if it's a crew member, such as kitchen staff. You can wash your hands 100 times a day, but it only takes eating ONE piece of contaminated food to get sick!

In work I got the message below in an email - they also forgot to mention if you are really that sick to stay the hell home!

In the last month many people within Eastern PA have been affected by a fast-moving virus known as Norovirus. Its symptoms include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. While the symptoms typically clear within 24-36 hours, the possibility of contagion can last a few days longer. The best preventions are frequent hand washing with warm, soapy water and avoiding personal contact where possible, such as hand-shaking.

Pat

In work I got the message below in an email - they also forgot to mention if you are really that sick to stay the hell home!

In the last month many people within Eastern PA have been affected by a fast-moving virus known as Norovirus. Its symptoms include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. While the symptoms typically clear within 24-36 hours, the possibility of contagion can last a few days longer. The best preventions are frequent hand washing with warm, soapy water and avoiding personal contact where possible, such as hand-shaking.

Pat

Yep, same story in the Charlotte, NC area. There was an article in the local news that did state if you are suffering from these symptoms, not to go to work, school, etc.. Like you could even if you wanted too. Seriously, if I'm that sick, I want to be as close to my bathroom as possible.

Erika

@Older Party... yeah, because some jerk will always NOT wash his hands, and will touch everything!

I was just thinking "who are these people who don't wash their hands. I bet it is mostly men." But then I watched the most recent episode of the Jersey Shore (laugh all you want at that part!) and Snooki was complaining about having a UTI (also caused by fecal contamination), and walked out of the bathroom stall and announced "I'm not washing my hands!" Deena then announced "Oh, I never do!"

What the freak people!?!? Dirty, nasty, disgusting, trash. And I'm not just talking about those two from MTV... I'm talking about anyone who has ever walked out of a bathroom without washing their hands!

There's a class act for you. What makes you think that her UTI was caused by fecal contamination?;):eek::eek::rolleyes:

Mythbusters confirmed that thought. I'll never forget that episode. Taking it a step further, fecal metter is common on everything you wear or handle after using the restroom. Think about that next time you borrow someone's cell phone.

Loved that episode! Now everyone in my house flushes with the toilet seat down.

This is only partially true according to the CDC. Yes, there are germs everywhere, but no your chances are MUCH better if you do wash. According to the CDC and anyone in the medical profession can confirm. Personally, I have never gotten Noro even though I have been on Voyager and Mariner during outbreaks(as recently as December). And I washed well, did Purell and tried to avoid contact with stuff. I guess all that playing in the dirt as a child has beefed up my imuno system. If what you say were true, they would never be free of any Noro virus. So what would be the point?

Wash those hands people!

Archived