No Flames Please

Menelaus

Posted this in clothing section but have had very little response so No flames please just a few answers, to trawl through that sticky is impossible, unless someone can tell me how one does a search, have tried and there appears to be no way to filter.

Both self and partner love the chance to dress for dinner but a friend who would like to take our next sailing with us hates jackets. He is quite happy to eat alone on some nights. The question is, on jacket nights what are his options? Will he have to hide in his cabin or is there a casual option he can use. We really want to encourage him to join us as he is such good fun, but the jackect for him is a no go.

He dresses quite well and is very smart, no jeans, wears a tie no problem!

Posted this in clothing section but have had very little response so No flames please just a few answers, to trawl through that sticky is impossible, unless someone can tell me how one does a search, have tried and there appears to be no way to filter.

Both self and partner love the chance to dress for dinner but a friend who would like to take our next sailing with us hates jackets. He is quite happy to eat alone on some nights. The question is, on jacket nights what are his options? Will he have to hide in his cabin or is there a casual option he can use. We really want to encourage him to join us as he is such good fun, but the jackect for him is a no go.

He dresses quite well and is very smart, no jeans, wears a tie no problem!

MDR - jacket required except on resort casual nights - usually first and last night of cruise

Collonade - as above

Rest 2 - as above

Pool Grill - it does say dress code applies to all venues on board in their brochure, so in this case same as above. BUT when we were on board, I did not notice much dressing up to dine at the Pool Grill regardless of dress code on the evening. In fact one evening when I was feeling a bit under the weather (it was a bit frisky) we decided to just pop up to the Pool Grill and the DH had on a casual gilet, and others had on fleece jackets. And if it's chilly you may need one! ;):) But blankets are provided.

So I imagine your friend's choices would be Pool Grill and Room Service on a jacket required night. But you know a "jacket" could be a very nice casual linen style jacket which my husband did wear on elegantly casual nights and although technically a jacket, it doesn't have the feel he says of wearing a more formal jacket. I did notice there were some very attractive oriental style longer coat/jackets and funky jackets being worn as well.

We were actually quite surprised at how "un-formal" dressing was on the Quest and not stuffy at all - but on the formal optional nights, most turned out in their finery which was lovely as well.

I had a re-look at the dress code sticky and it does run riot! LOL! Anyway hope this answers your question.:)

Try to turn the jacket thing into a positive thing. Some advantages of a jacket:

1- Earliest form of stealth technology, a black sport coat hides all kinds of physical imperfections (very handy for ol' Ragnar...).

2- You can wear practically anything else with it, so deciding what to wear just means pulling random items out of the closet. Very convenient as cabin is well stocked with liquor.

3 - Hides wrinkled shirts, so shirt reuse facilitated (however, if smelly like ol' Ragnar, used shirts best thrown out...)

4 - If nervous around people (like ol' Ragnar in polite company), jacket hides underarm circles.

5 - After overeating, jacket helps hide unbuttoned pants.

And perhaps the best advantage is it allows you to offer it to a lady that looks chilly, thus even making ol' Ragnar look chivalrous :D

Try to turn the jacket thing into a positive thing. Some advantages of a jacket:

1- Earliest form of stealth technology, a black sport coat hides all kinds of physical imperfections (very handy for ol' Ragnar...).

2- You can wear practically anything else with it, so deciding what to wear just means pulling random items out of the closet. Very convenient as cabin is well stocked with liquor.

3 - Hides wrinkled shirts, so shirt reuse facilitated (however, if smelly like ol' Ragnar, used shirts best thrown out...)

4 - If nervous around people (like ol' Ragnar in polite company), jacket hides underarm circles.

5 - After overeating, jacket helps hide unbuttoned pants.

And perhaps the best advantage is it allows you to offer it to a lady that looks chilly, thus even making ol' Ragnar look chivalrous :D

:cool: Nice.

Unless they have very recently changed the code I was under the impression that the Colonnade was always one step in formality below the MDR. This means that on formal optional nights you can go there with just a jacket, no tie required. But more importantly, on elegant casual nights which is usually the majority of nights on any given cruise when a jacket is required in the MDR your friend should be able to dine in the Colonnade with just a collared shirt. And of course, there is the patio grill which is always casual.

fairborne,

Seabourn in general is much more relaxed than it was as recently as five years ago. Back then when you glanced through their brochure you would see men in tuxedoes and women in gowns. Now you see them in shirts or jackets with no ties They are obviously trying to appeal to a younger and less formal demographic.

fairborne,

They are obviously trying to appeal to a younger and less formal demographic.

Wripro - that's me dahling! LOL! ;):D Yes and the brochure I was looking at was from last year from our Quest Maiden TA - so yes again the more relaxed photos but that was what they put in print in that same brochure. I think that what they put in print and what happens on board are two completely separate things. So it can be confusing for a first-time SB sailor these days. Thankfully Miss M gave us a very useful heads up for the Quest TA re number of formal optional nights, and that was a very good example of what was in print and what actually happened on board.

We will be first time passengers on Seabroun Pride this summer. We are not big on dressing up. Can I get away with wearing a sport coat on formal nights? Or do most guests dress up? What about ladies?

When we on the Quest and on the formal(optional) nights - just writing the "Optional" bit for Wripro ;):) - I would say most guests do dress up and on these nights there was a mix between black tie (tux) and dark lounge suits with ties in the MDR and I don't recall seeing any sports coats in there. I'm sure if you chose not to eat in the MDR on formal(optional) nights and ate in the Collonade(or equivalent on the Pride) (with a tie) you would be fine with a sports coat. But lots of sports coats on the Casual Elegant nights.

As for the girls - well anything dressy goes from floor length evening dresses, I hesitate to call them ball gowns because they weren't true ball gowns, cocktail dresses (short and mid length), dressy pants and tops, skirts and tops - in fact I'm sure your wife will know exactly what I mean! Lots of sequins and sparkly tops.

This advice is MHO but someone who sails the Pride hopefully will chip in here for you as well.

Enjoy your cruise! :D

We will be first time passengers on Seabroun Pride this summer. We are not big on dressing up. Can I get away with wearing a sport coat on formal nights? Or do most guests dress up? What about ladies?

On our cruise on Quest last autumn my DH, who will wear his dinner jacket but under sufferance, asked the Maitre d' if he could dine in the MDR on formal/optional in sports jacket (dark coloured) and tie and was emphatically told yes. Certainly there were more men in DJ or suit, but quite a few dressed like him and he did not feel out of place. Ladies can get away with almost anything! But a cocktail type dress, or dressy pants and top - maybe sparkly - is quite sufficient. It does save on the packing. As far as I know, this ruling is fleet wide.

Well IMHO allowing sports jackets in their true sense is not acceptable attire on a formal (optional) night in the MDR and I am very surprised that the Maitre D giving the OK - whilst Lincslady's DH may have worn his, he would have totally been one of the very few and whilst a dark one may not be out of place, it doesn't quite have the same panache as either black tie or lounge suit! And I for one would be very unhappy if the DH wore his (which he wouldn't dream of doing on his own volition!) if I was all dressed up!

It seems such a shame to dilute the dress code for the so few formal (optional) evenings on board when every other night you can pretty much go as you are! And especially when nearly all others go to the effort of dressing up and everyone including all the officers and crew look absolutely stunning!

No flames please! ;):)

Fairbourne - not flaming, honest, but a couple of points - there were quite a few others in sports coat (some without tie) that evening; there was only one formal/optional evening on that cruise, and while I agree that DJ looks nicest, I was essentially trying to reassure ianlin that they could 'get away with' this dress code.

We do want to encourage newbies to become Seabournites, don't we!! And then maybe next time they will dress up more.

No one can express it better than Bob Dylan ---- The times, they are a changin'.

Even watching Downton Abbey Lord Grantham is starting to think about wearing a dinner jacket or tuxedo to dinner instead of whilte tie and tails. Much to his mothers' horror, of course. What's next, she asked, a dressing gown? Or Pajamas?

Lincslady - yes of course we do - we just love the dressing up bit of our cruising adventures - but I'm sure Ianlin will be fine in his sports coat but with a tie! LOL!;) The DH reminded me that there was one shall I say "unusual" jacket in the MDR - a rather fetching pink and off-white striped affair which I remember had seen better days, probably at Cowes - or squaffing champagne at the Henley Regatta - well I suppose he was on a Yacht! :D

Wripro - Lord Grantham wear a Tuxedo? Only in the US! But it was a fabulous series - roll on series 3! :D:D By the way "Mr Bates" was spotted recently in a crime drama looking very svelte I may add and equally as handsome in his polo shirts! He's ageing well! LOL! And don't get MarianH started on Bob's songs! LOL! But that would be a challenge - over to you MarianH!

I've been seeing folks wear pjs, robe, and slippers to coffee shops of late :eek: Men and women, not just to get a latte to go, but also to sit and read the paper. But SoCal has always been a bit more casual than other areas....

I've seen on Seabourn as well...half naked robed Granpas, people roaming around in their robes in the morning all over the ship...not just SoCal!:D

Fairbourne - not flaming, honest, but a couple of points - there were quite a few others in sports coat (some without tie) that evening; there was only one formal/optional evening on that cruise, and while I agree that DJ looks nicest, I was essentially trying to reassure ianlin that they could 'get away with' this dress code.

We do want to encourage newbies to become Seabournites, don't we!! And then maybe next time they will dress up more.

Seabourn must be listening to some passengers since it now offers formal optional. I really like that dress code....those who, like me, like to dress up can and those who like to dress more casually like my DH are also happy and can enjoy all the cruise has to offer.

Seabourn wants to attract new and younger cruisers, they need to if they plan on staying around. They know they need to allow a more casual dress. What my children and their friends consider dressy is not what I do! It is not bad, just not what I grew up with. These are professional people in thier 40's who can afford Seabourn.

We first sailed Seabourn in 2009 and will be on board again this summer. We were in the middle of a long tirp the last time and DH only had a sports jacket...that is what he wore and and we ate in the MDR with no problem, even on the formal nights. There was a mix of dress even then, though all the men did wear a jacket of some sort.

That is except for one guy, the waiter just hung a jacket on the back of his chair on the nights he didn't want to wear a jacket! They were in the owners suite above us and had been on for some time when we got on and stayed on when we got off.

We though it was funny...didn't bother us or ruin our meal/evening in anyway..the guy was pleasant and nicely dressed otherwise. But there were a couple of people it apparently bothered, so this was the staff's solution. That made Seabourn a class act for us....no scenes at the door!

Archived