Royal Princess 'sneak peak' video series

Astro Flyer

Dime a dozen? Whoa! First new build in what will be about 5 years since Ruby in 2008.

Believe it or not, the cruise industry consists of more than just Princess Cruises, and many (myself included) cruise on multiple lines.

This year alone we will see brand new ships from Carnival, Costa, MSC Cruises, Disney, Oceania, Celebrity, and Aida.

If you're interested in newbuilds, there are plenty out there and you don't have to wait for Princess. A newbuild is just not that unique of an experience anymore, and in fact they are pretty common. There was a time years ago when newbuilds truly were an event, because they rarely happened. These days I can't think of a year in recent memory when there were not several newbuilds introduced.

The good part about this is that brand new ships don't garner the pricing supplements they used to. I see great prices all the time for brand new ships just introduced ... with the exception of Disney and OASIS & ALLURE which are so unique they demand a premium year round. I don't really anticipate huge surcharges for ROYAL PRINCESS especially since she will be sailing in highly competitive regions (Caribbean and Europe) where there are plenty of other brand new ships operated by excellent competing cruise lines.

Ernie

The piazza itself looks nice, but did anyone else think that the video was kind of silly? The whole hologram thing (which was obviously added later by computer) did not work very well and reminded me of "Obi-wan Kenobe, you're our only hope". I actually laughed out load when the two executives awkwardly moved to interact with the hologram. :p

Yeah, it was kinda silly, but they have to put some kind of pizzazz into it... :p

Believe it or not, the cruise industry consists of more than just Princess Cruises, and many (myself included) cruise on multiple lines.

This year alone we will see brand new ships from Carnival, Costa, MSC Cruises, Disney, Oceania, Celebrity, and Aida.

If you're interested in newbuilds, there are plenty out there and you don't have to wait for Princess. A newbuild is just not that unique of an experience anymore, and in fact they are pretty common. There was a time years ago when newbuilds truly were an event, because they rarely happened. These days I can't think of a year in recent memory when there were not several newbuilds introduced.

The good part about this is that brand new ships don't garner the pricing supplements they used to. I see great prices all the time for brand new ships just introduced ... with the exception of Disney and OASIS & ALLURE which are so unique they demand a premium year round. I don't really anticipate huge surcharges for ROYAL PRINCESS especially since she will be sailing in highly competitive regions (Caribbean and Europe) where there are plenty of other brand new ships operated by excellent competing cruise lines.

Ernie

True, but the building spree that cruise lines went through a few years ago is rapidly slowing down. I remember one year (2004?) when Princess had three new-builds in one year!

Yeah, it was kinda silly, but they have to put some kind of pizzazz into it... :p

True, but the building spree that cruise lines went through a few years ago is rapidly slowing down. I remember one year (2004?) when Princess had three new-builds in one year!

It's true the pace of newbuildngs has slowed, but there are still a lot of new ships coming out for various cruise lines. The best part is that many are from scratch designs, instead of already existing sister ships. Princess, NCL, and Royal Caribbean all have a from scratch design in the works. I'm wondering just how many Carnival brands the new ROYAL PRINCESS platform will end up at? It's not like Carnival to design anything for just one brand. We already know a sister to ROYAL PRINCESS will sail for P&O Cruises, and I'm curious if one will end up at Carnival Cruise Lines, HAL, or Costa?

Ernie

I watched that video the other day and I think the ship looks beautiful and I can't wait to sail on her either, however....I will have to wait a few years I think as the price will be too steep for me!

Looking forward to seeing her!:D

Maybe due to age I feel too much Marble and Glass which does not give a warm atmosphere to me.Its so artificial that winding spiral staircase down to the atrium of slatted marble.A trip in the making;)

A true Las Vegas at sea.

Was sent the video by Princess.

I am probably the only person who feels this way. Sorry folks.Please don't rant at me for telling you my true feelings...:o

Maybe due to age I feel too much Marble and Glass which does not give a warm atmosphere to me.Its so artificial that winding spiral staircase down to the atrium of slatted marble.A trip in the making;)

A true Las Vegas at sea.

I am probably the only person who feels this way. Sorry folks.Please don't rant at me for telling you my true feelings...:o

I think everyone's opinion is valid. And I can certainly understand your concerns. I can picture in my mind the scene in very rough weather with people sliding across the floor... :p

If they were going for a Las Vegas look, at least they went with a modern, clean interpretation. The rendering is very bright and shiny so it will be interesting to see the real thing. But as others have said, at least they didn't go the neon Vegas route... :)

A true Las Vegas at sea.

No rants from me. Join the threads and give your opinion. The rest of us are doing the same.

The atrium sure seems warm and inviting with a good amount of special features or pizzazz. I love it. Most of all, I am looking forward to seeing the deck plans and staterooms. I am hoping for some special features in the HC staterooms, like electronic doors that open and close at the push of a button.

I love the use of natural materials like marble and wood as well as manmade materials like glass. I think it is classy and looks wonderful. But of course, everyone's taste is different and that's OK, you'll never make everyone happy.

I love the use of natural materials like marble and wood as well as manmade materials like glass. I think it is classy and looks wonderful. But of course, everyone's taste is different and that's OK, you'll never make everyone happy.

I agree with you.....:):):)

Bob

My fear I believe is coming to fruition: atriums are going the way of RCCL's promenade - big, long and a sure-fire way of eliminating the ocean view you used to see. Thank goodness it's not that big.

Note: It's beautiful and will surely be nice, I just disagree with giant atriums on a ship. We'll definitely sail her though!

No rants from me. Join the threads and give your opinion. The rest of us are doing the same.

The atrium sure seems warm and inviting with a good amount of special features or pizzazz. I love it. Most of all, I am looking forward to seeing the deck plans and staterooms. I am hoping for some special features in the HC staterooms, like electronic doors that open and close at the push of a button.

Deckplans and stateroom layouts for sure. Anytime now.....:):):)

Bob

My fear I believe is coming to fruition: atriums are going the way of RCCL's promenade - big, long and a sure-fire way of eliminating the ocean view you used to see.

In a way they are. They atrium on RP looks very much like a revenue generation center, just like the Royal Promenades on Royal Caribbean. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it just is what it is.

Princess is adding more and more entertainment to the Atrium, which of course attracts people to the Atrium where most of the venues are geared towards revenue generation. If you look at the venues around the atrium, they are pretty much all venues you can spend money at. It's actually a very smart move on the part of Princess, and passengers obviously like it which is why we have larger and larger atriums, and things like the Royal Promenade on Royal Caribbean.

Ernie

Deckplans and stateroom layouts for sure. Anytime now.....:):):)

Bob

Here there Bob!

We too want to see the deck plans and stateroom layouts!

Are you thinking about the Transatlantic?

Aloha,

Bev

I would like to see more wood to me there seems to be a lack of and replaced by marble.

Would not it be nice to have a lovely teak promenade deck to walk around..One can dream.......:)

There is going to be a type of glass promenade deck at the top of the ship.If I remember the floor will be glass.

Times have certainly changed from days of old for the better on CC we respect each others views.....:D

They atrium on RP looks very much like a revenue generation center, just like the Royal Promenades on Royal Caribbean. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it just is what it is.

Not that different from what is in the atrium now on Princess ships. That is where the botiques are located and the sales tables put out.

Some of the recent additions to Princess Piazzas have been complimentary. The International Cafe and Alfredo's are two very significant additions that have complimentary food. I don't have an issue with the larger atrium on the RP. The ship is larger and needs a larger atrium to accommadate the larger pax load the ship has. As well, if anything, with the added entertainment and attractions on the ships with Piazzas already there really isn't enough seating and tables to accommodate the pax as it is.

Some of the recent additions to Princess Piazzas have been complimentary. The International Cafe and Alfredo's are two very significant additions that have complimentary food. I don't have an issue with the larger atrium on the RP. The ship is larger and needs a larger atrium to accommadate the larger pax load the ship has. As well, if anything, with the added entertainment and attractions on the ships with Piazzas already there really isn't enough seating and tables to accommodate the pax as it is.

I agree with you & no matter what Princess did some would prefer it differently. I doubt if the same venues on the RP would have additional fees when they have no fees on their other ships. Hopefully Bellini's & Ocean Terrace will have complimentary food like Vines does when purchasing a drink. Until they release more info, there was no mention of shops in the atrium area.

I view the RP's Atrium/Piazza as a necessary expansion of the area due to 600 more passengers & not to only generate income. Having more choices & room is good for me even if some things have a small fee for anyone desiring them. Like other things some want included, I don't want to pay a higher price for my cruise for things I will never use. I'm glad they haven't followed RCCL & NCL with so many extra fees for dining onboard which is one reason I don't have any plans to sail with them.

Here there Bob!

We too want to see the deck plans and stateroom layouts!

Are you thinking about the Transatlantic?

Aloha,

Bev

Bev;

Definetely want to do the Transatlantic. Already called my T/A and told her to book us a mini when bookings open up next month.. Are you and Harold also thinking about booking the T/A?

Bob

Bev;

Definetely want to do the Transatlantic. Already called my T/A and told her to book us a mini when bookings open up next month.. Are you and Harold also thinking about booking the T/A?

Bob

Bob,

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! (want to share a water taxi?)

Aloha,

Bev

I'm glad they haven't followed RCCL & NCL with so many extra fees for dining onboard which is one reason I don't have any plans to sail with them.

Personally I don't put Royal Caribbean and NCL in the same category. The fact that there are more "included" dining options on ALLURE and OASIS than any other ship afloat speak volumes. Of course there are also plenty of extra fee specialty restaurants as well, but they are simply a choice. You can easily sail on ALLURE and OASIS and not spend an extra dime on food, while eating quite well and at a great variety of venues.

NCL is a little different, and I've found you are almost forced to dine in the specialty restaurants because the food and service can sometimes be sub-par in the included main dining rooms. Worse yet, my experience in the specialty restaurants was average at best, even with the surcharge.

Princess is more traditional. They offer the typical included options (MDR's and buffet) and a few extra charge specialty restaurants. I've found the food and service in the MDR's to be average to good, and the specialty restaurants to be quite good, but not as good as the specialty restaurants on Celebrity for instance.

Ernie

Personally I don't put Royal Caribbean and NCL in the same category. The fact that there are more "included" dining options on ALLURE and OASIS than any other ship afloat speak volumes. Of course there are also plenty of extra fee specialty restaurants as well, but they are simply a choice. You can easily sail on ALLURE and OASIS and not spend an extra dime on food, while eating quite well and at a great variety of venues.

NCL is a little different, and I've found you are almost forced to dine in the specialty restaurants because the food and service can sometimes be sub-par in the included main dining rooms. Worse yet, my experience in the specialty restaurants was average at best, even with the surcharge.

Princess is more traditional. They offer the typical included options (MDR's and buffet) and a few extra charge specialty restaurants. I've found the food and service in the MDR's to be average to good, and the specialty restaurants to be quite good, but not as good as the specialty restaurants on Celebrity for instance.

Ernie

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the newest RCCL & NCL ships in comparison to Princess. Obviously there's a big market for those newbuilds even if the inward looking design is not what I prefer. They've probably brought in many new passengers to cruising which is good for the industry...and for those many happy passengers. :)

Archived