Royal Princess 'sneak peak' video series

Astro Flyer

I don't' have any scoops, but the balconies all look to be about the same depth. I don't see one deck having deeper balconies than the others.

Help. Where are you seeing pictures of the balconies?

Is this someone who is speculating based on an artist's rendering of a ship?

Help. Where are you seeing pictures of the balconies?

From the photos and videos of the Royal Princess released by Princess. All the balconies on the sides of the ships line up vertically suggesting that they are the same depth, unlike those on the Grand Class ships which are tiered and different depths.

From the photos and videos of the Royal Princess released by Princess. All the balconies on the sides of the ships line up vertically suggesting that they are the same depth, unlike those on the Grand Class ships which are tiered and different depths.
The photo renderings from last March and this month as well as both videos have been consistent in showing NO tiered balcony profile on the Royal Princess. I think the speculation should be fairly accurate. The lowest deck of balconies could have larger balconies but again from the renderings half of those balconies appear to overlook a view of the lifeboats. Hopefully the next preview video on the Staterooms is released soon and that there are details on the balconies included. With bookings opening in just three weeks Princess will need to speed up this information flow, or maybe they expect us to "Book Blind"?

The photo renderings from last March and this month as well as both videos have been consistent in showing NO tiered balcony profile on the Royal Princess. I think the speculation should be fairly accurate. The lowest deck of balconies could have larger balconies but again from the renderings half of those balconies appear to overlook a view of the lifeboats. Hopefully the next preview video on the Staterooms is released soon and that there are details on the balconies included. With bookings opening in just three weeks Princess will need to speed up this information flow, or maybe they expect us to "Book Blind"?

I would agree that relying on an artist's conception of the ship might be unwise. Look at this page with a rendering of the Grand Princess before she was launched... a bit different from the resulting ship and the tiered decks are not apparent. http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/GrandPrincessLisbon.html

That being said, I would hope that the "modern" computer-generated renditions that Princess has released would be based in fact. It does appear that the majority of the balconies will be the same size and that the decks are not tiered. The largest balconies appear to be in the "bump-out" under the Sky Deck feature or possibly the aft section. (Click on the pictures and then select All Sizes, pick the largest picture and you'll see even more detail). But, ultimately, we'll just have to wait and see... :p

5527230727_41456349bc_b.jpg

Royal Princess Profile by Princess Cruises, on Flickr

5527247325_e8283b800c_b.jpg

Royal Princess Profile by Princess Cruises, on Flickr

I also would like the information about the staterooms along with the deck plans to come out quickly. I just hope the stateroom and balcony sizes are not smaller. I am sure it will not take me much time to make my stateroom selection once I know the deckplans.

You know, renderings and photos can be misleading sometimes. I am trying to control my expectations until I get definite information. I just don't want to disappoint myself.

I do hope you are right.

Based on the renderings, it looks like the larger balconies (presumably for the Minisuites) are going to be in the curved midship section below the Seawalks (although based on the rendering, even the balconies in the center of the curved area are going to be roughly the same as the others in size) and in the aft section. Not sure where this would put the suites, but it looks almost like there might actually be forward balconies on the Lido and Riviera decks above the bridge (the Sapphire has forward balconies like this, but officially you're only supposed to use them when docked.) One thing that is interesting to note here is that there appears to be seven balconies on each deck in the aft section, plus the "corner balconies" (of unknown purpose thus far.) On the current Crown Class ships, they have ten aft minisuites on the Baja deck. This would lead me to believe that these are probably going to be wider than the standard balconies.

It looks like the latest two renderings on Flickr (posted with the Piazza renderings) have more details on some areas, but they uploaded them at much lower resolution than the original renderings, so it's hard to tell much. I suspect that they'll have to post deck plans, at least for the stateroom decks, by the time bookings open. so hopefully these questions will be answered soon.

Based on the renderings, it looks like the larger balconies (presumably for the Minisuites) are going to be in the curved midship section below the Seawalks (although based on the rendering, even the balconies in the center of the curved area are going to be roughly the same as the others in size) and in the aft section. Not sure where this would put the suites, but it looks almost like there might actually be forward balconies on the Lido and Riviera decks above the bridge (the Sapphire has forward balconies like this, but officially you're only supposed to use them when docked.) One thing that is interesting to note here is that there appears to be seven balconies on each deck in the aft section, plus the "corner balconies" (of unknown purpose thus far.) On the current Crown Class ships, they have ten aft minisuites on the Baja deck. This would lead me to believe that these are probably going to be wider than the standard balconies.

It looks like the latest two renderings on Flickr (posted with the Piazza renderings) have more details on some areas, but they uploaded them at much lower resolution than the original renderings, so it's hard to tell much. I suspect that they'll have to post deck plans, at least for the stateroom decks, by the time bookings open. so hopefully these questions will be answered soon.

I know I am spending too much time looking at the renderings waiting for real information, but a few comments.

• It appears that balconies forward on the Lido extend out from the balconies below. These could be larger balconies or larger cabins.
  • There don't appears to be any wider cabins (accessible cabins or suites) on the sides.
  • I would think the extended aft balcony on each deck would make nice full suite locations
  • I noticed those forward balconies on the top two decks. Based on other ships those balconies would not be usable when the Royal was sailing. Not a great location for passengers.

I know I am spending too much time looking at the renderings waiting for real information, but a few comments.

• It appears that balconies forward on the Lido extend out from the balconies below. These could be larger balconies or larger cabins.
  • There don't appears to be any wider cabins (accessible cabins or suites) on the sides.
  • I would think the extended aft balcony on each deck would make nice full suite locations
  • I noticed those forward balconies on the top two decks. Based on other ships those balconies would not be usable when the Royal was sailing. Not a great location for passengers.

I really like your speculations. It shows a sign of interest in the new ship that seems to be shared by many others. Larger staterooms or balconies would be great, but I do doubt it.

Just remember that the renderings may be mainly conceptual, not concrete. I suspect that the staterooms depicted were probably not drawn individually, one at a time, to scale, I think cut and paste was used based on scale of the total drawing.

In terms of the staterooms, I am expecting approximately 37 wheelchair accessible staterooms. Of these, approximately 29 will have balconies and 8 will be interior staterooms.

Could this be the day we find out about the Royal Princess staterooms?

While talking to Princess Customer Relations today about another issue, I asked if they knew when the deck plans & itineraries would be released and she had no idea for this frequently asked question.

My TA was meeting with her Princess district sales manager this week & was asking about it but I never got a reply so apparently those who know "when" are keeping it Top Secret! :p

While talking to Princess Customer Relations today about another issue, I asked if they knew when the deck plans & itineraries would be released and she had no idea for this frequently asked question.

My TA was meeting with her Princess district sales manager this week & was asking about it but I never got a reply so apparently those who know "when" are keeping it Top Secret! :p

The game is afoot!

Where are the conspiracy theorists? :p

Just a friendly mystery. So many speculating on the finished product which is the Royal Princess. I rather like the exercise.

A simple reference to Sherlock Holmes, "Come, Watson, come! The game is afoot." Many are looking to figure out the finished product from the few clues we have from renderings and some video.

Yes I agree, the photos of the balcony widths are probably not what they will ultimately turn out to be. As has already been pointed out, there needs to be disabled cabins as well as suites, those would likely get wider balconies and cabins which aren't yet drawn. I would doubt they would put that much detail into the computer drawings at this early stage quite yet. Plus, they do want to keep us guessing, just like they do about that area on the top decks, behind the funnel.

In earlier drawings that area behind the funnel appeared to be a sports deck. However, one can make out what might be a covered pool perhaps in the newest videos. However, they really don't show that area with any detail so it is hard to know.

Not really a very exciting itinerary. Much prefer the 2012 one on the Ruby to this verison.

I agree. We love the Ruby 2012 itinerary and are booked on it, but I have a probable work conflict with the last two days.

So we then booked the Crown for the 2012 Greek Isles/TA BTB, but were waiting to see the Royal's TA itinerary in 2013. We weren't thrilled with it -- just like the one we did on Ruby in 2010, there's no Florence, no Casablanca. Just the regular ol' TA route.

I agree. We love the Ruby 2012 itinerary and are booked on it, but I have a probable work conflict with the last two days.

So we then booked the Crown for the 2012 Greek Isles/TA BTB, but were waiting to see the Royal's TA itinerary in 2013. We weren't thrilled with it -- just like the one we did on Ruby in 2010, there's no Florence, no Casablanca. Just the regular ol' TA route.

I am curious.Wwhat did you hope for in the new itinerary?

I like the regular ol T/A route. The Royal will be my fourth.....:):):)

Bob

I am curious.Wwhat did you hope for in the new itinerary?

Don't get me wrong. The Royal's itinerary is good. But, for us, the omission of Florence was disappointing. Our 16 nt. TA on the Ruby in 2010 also skipped Florence, so we wanted our next TA to definitely include it.

In and of itself, certainly not a reason to nix the cruise on this beautiful new ship. Anxious to see the pricing. We can always go over a few days early to spend time in Florence before making our way to Venice...

I like the regular ol T/A route. The Royal will be my fourth.....:):):)

Bob

Never been to the Med, but have done three transatlantics. Dover to Port Canaveral on the NCL Sun. (Only stopped in one port, Lisbon), FLL to Copenhagen on the Emerald, and FLL to Southampton on the Grand. In addition to the Royal, we plan to do a transatlantic in the Spring. Not sure if we want to do another to the UK or to the Med. Would it be much hassle to fly from London to Venice?

Never been to the Med, but have done three transatlantics. Dover to Port Canaveral on the NCL Sun. (Only stopped in one port, Lisbon), FLL to Copenhagen on the Emerald, and FLL to Southampton on the Grand. In addition to the Royal, we plan to do a transatlantic in the Spring. Not sure if we want to do another to the UK or to the Med. Would it be much hassle to fly from London to Venice?

London to Venice is really easy and pretty cheap. We did 3 days in London prior to our Greek Island cruise. We flew BA into Venice.

Don't get me wrong. The Royal's itinerary is good. But, for us, the omission of Florence was disappointing. Our 16 nt. TA on the Ruby in 2010 also skipped Florence, so we wanted our next TA to definitely include it.

In and of itself, certainly not a reason to nix the cruise on this beautiful new ship. Anxious to see the pricing. We can always go over a few days early to spend time in Florence before making our way to Venice...

I do agree with you about Florence or rather Livorno for Pisa/Florence. Florence is such a beautiful city and easily managed when you only have part of a day. I have been to Florence a couple times and do love it. I have spent days in Florence and that is the best way to go. Hope all works out for you.

I do agree with you about Florence or rather Livorno for Pisa/Florence. Florence is such a beautiful city and easily managed when you only have part of a day. I have been to Florence a couple times and do love it. I have spent days in Florence and that is the best way to go. Hope all works out for you.

Yes - I was there many years ago - as a college student with a rail pass - while doing a semester in Paris. But DH hasn't and I want him to experience that beautiful city. In 2010, I introduced him to Venice with a few days there before our TA, and he fell in love with Venice. I know he'll love Florence, too. So, we'll probably stick with our Crown BTB in Nov/Dec with a pre-cruise stay in Florence. Then when the ship goes to Livorno, we'll go to Lucca and Pisa instead of Florence. All is good. :)

Yes - I was there many years ago - as a college student with a rail pass - while doing a semester in Paris. But DH hasn't and I want him to experience that beautiful city. In 2010, I introduced him to Venice with a few days there before our TA, and he fell in love with Venice. I know he'll love Florence, too. So, we'll probably stick with our Crown BTB in Nov/Dec with a pre-cruise stay in Florence. Then when the ship goes to Livorno, we'll go to Lucca and Pisa instead of Florence. All is good. :)

DH is so fortunate to have you to introduce him to these amazing cities.

Archived