In a quandary

OK here is my quandary. Due to having a DW that is a teacher, a school aged child and the DW having commitments in other parts of the summer we are faced with taking vacation in the month of June.

We took a cruise three years ago and it was OK. We usually do AI vacations but this year no places are jumping out at us. We are thinking about trying another cruise. While we live close to a port there is only one cruise line that sails from that port at the time we can vacation and we are looking at trying RCL for a cruise.

Our choice is a 9 night out of NJ or one of two 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruises out of Florida.

Both will require flights that cost about the same amount and will basically require us to fly in the night before and get a hotel. Hotels will again basically cost us the same amount of money for a night.

The two cruises out of Florida will cost us about the same amount of money while the 9 night of course will slightly higher.

So since so many here have cruised much more than we have which might be the better cruise? The 9 night is on the Explorer, one 7 night is on the Freedom and the other is Oasis. Not sure if we really one to cruise with 6k other people. I would love to sneak in a dive or two since I have not been able to dive in two years, but my DW and DD do not dive and will not even snorkel. So I must find them something to do while I commune with aquatic life.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Considering those choices I'd go with Oasis. Explorer is a nice ship but I am not crazy about it itinerary. Freedom is a bit larger with a couple of more venues that you all may enjoy. You don't state the age of your child but Freedom has a kids water park on its pool deck, that Explorer does not have, that is nice for younger kids. Freedom also has a flow rider which is a lot of fun. But of the choices that you provide I'd take Oasis for sure.

Oasis doesn't have the best of itineraries but since you have not cruised much the stops that it makes would be fine and new for you. The ship has everything on it that the other two have plus much more. You will not have a boring week. The entertainment on the ship is far beyond what you will find on any other. The Aqua Theater is amazing. You don't state which ship you sailed on that you found to be "OK" nor did you state what you liked or disliked about your cruise. So, without knowing any of your likes or dislikes, my preference would be Oasis for sure.

But when you add in the airfare and hotel for both you plus the cruise out of Florida how does that price compare to the EOS cruise? Plus remember you are getting 2 more day of lodging, food, entertainment.

I'm heading out on EOS in 9 days. Because it is winter break for my kids the price was far less($2700 for a 10th deck aft balcony, party of three) than a 7 day out of Florida. This time of year it would have cost me just as much for the flights as the cost of the cruise.

Out of those 3 I would also choose the Freedom. It has plenty for the child to do without being overwhelming. I'm also not a fan of cruising on the MegaMonster. Plus the itinerary on the Freedom (if you chose the Western itinerary) would take you to Grand Cayman to dive. If you go on the Explorer, remember you have 2 days of unpredictable weather on each end.

Considering those choices I'd go with Oasis. Explorer is a nice ship but I am not crazy about it itinerary. Freedom is a bit larger with a couple of more venues that you all may enjoy. You don't state the age of your child but Freedom has a kids water park on its pool deck, that Explorer does not have, that is nice for younger kids. Freedom also has a flow rider which is a lot of fun. But of the choices that you provide I'd take Oasis for sure.

Oasis doesn't have the best of itineraries but since you have not cruised much the stops that it makes would be fine and new for you. The ship has everything on it that the other two have plus much more. You will not have a boring week. The entertainment on the ship is far beyond what you will find on any other. The Aqua Theater is amazing. You don't state which ship you sailed on that you found to be "OK" nor did you state what you liked or disliked about your cruise. So, without knowing any of your likes or dislikes, my preference would be Oasis for sure.

DD is 13 so pretty much anything teen is good for her. We were on the Conquest. All three of us thought the on board entertainment was on the cheesy side. I plan to spend all of my sea days and night at the poker table winning back the money I spent on the cruise. My poker winnings in the past years has paid for many vacations and dive trips.

The thing about Oasis is that DW is fairly claustrophobic and does not fair well in large crowds We have been to the Bahama's several times and the diving there is kinda poor. Thanks for your input.

Out of those 3 I would also choose the Freedom. It has plenty for the child to do without being overwhelming. I'm also not a fan of cruising on the MegaMonster. Plus the itinerary on the Freedom (if you chose the Western itinerary) would take you to Grand Cayman to dive. If you go on the Explorer, remember you have 2 days of unpredictable weather on each end.

We love Grand Cayman and are actually looking into semi-retiring there. The rest of the Western itinerary does not thrill us.

But when you add in the airfare and hotel for both you plus the cruise out of Florida how does that price compare to the EOS cruise? Plus remember you are getting 2 more day of lodging, food, entertainment.

I'm heading out on EOS in 9 days. Because it is winter break for my kids the price was far less($2700 for a 10th deck aft balcony, party of three) than a 7 day out of Florida. This time of year it would have cost me just as much for the flights as the cost of the cruise.

Not much more for the 9 day, probably less than 1k. I will have to putt off buying my new BBQ pit a few months if we choose the 9 day :(

DD is 13 so pretty much anything teen is good for her. We were on the Conquest. All three of us thought the on board entertainment was on the cheesy side. I plan to spend all of my sea days and night at the poker table winning back the money I spent on the cruise. My poker winnings in the past years has paid for many vacations and dive trips.

The thing about Oasis is that DW is fairly claustrophobic and does not fair well in large crowds We have been to the Bahama's several times and the diving there is kinda poor. Thanks for your input.

Oasis disperses the folks aboard really well. It rarely feels crowded except maybe when shows are getting out or during parades on the Promenade. If you found shows on your past cruise cheesy then Oasis would really be for you. The shows are a major step up from those on other ships. And, as I mentioned, the Aqua Theater is amazing. You will see synchronized swimming and diving, high diving, etc. You will see nothing like it on any other ship except for Allure.

We love Grand Cayman and are actually looking into semi-retiring there. The rest of the Western itinerary does not thrill us.

We have done the western Caribbean once and though we enjoyed it, I have never been able to get myself to book it again. I prefer the eastern to the western and I MUCH prefer the southern to the other two.

I don't know, bigger is not always better. I am also leery of Oasis because of the size. Freedom is around 3600 double occupancy, and Explorer is smaller yet. That being said I have been on Voyager and Navigator (sisters to Explorer) with a 14 year old and she had a blast. We love the western Caribbean cruises because we want the adventure over the shopping. Hubby and I are going to do Freedom in March, but that may be too many people for me too......

I think the Oasis would be too overwhelming in size for someone who hasn't cruise at all.

I don't know, bigger is not always better. I am also leery of Oasis because of the size. Freedom is around 3600 double occupancy, and Explorer is smaller yet. That being said I have been on Voyager and Navigator (sisters to Explorer) with a 14 year old and she had a blast. We love the western Caribbean cruises because we want the adventure over the shopping. Hubby and I are going to do Freedom in March, but that may be too many people for me too......

Either of you been on Oasis or Allure to have those opinions from first hand experience?

Another thought is to do a B2B on the Freedom - 1 week east, 2nd week west.

June east dates are 6/3 & 6/17 - west dates are 6/10 & 6/24.

Book the same cabin and no need to move on "turnover" day.

Just another idea.

Thought of a back to back, but the wife does not get out of school till after the first week of June.

Oasis disperses the folks aboard really well. It rarely feels crowded except maybe when shows are getting out or during parades on the Promenade. If you found shows on your past cruise cheesy then Oasis would really be for you. The shows are a major step up from those on other ships. And, as I mentioned, the Aqua Theater is amazing. You will see synchronized swimming and diving, high diving, etc. You will see nothing like it on any other ship except for Allure.

She nearly went into nearly full blown panic attacks just getting on and off the ship at ports and getting in and out of shows. Usually after spending the day at port or just hanging at the pool the wife is ready to turn in. Me on the other hand plan to spend as much time as possible at the poker tables.

We have done the western Caribbean once and though we enjoyed it, I have never been able to get myself to book it again. I prefer the eastern to the western and I MUCH prefer the southern to the other two.

We have been on cruise that stopped in Jamaica and have spent a week there on a land vacation and highly wish to skip that stop. I have dove Grand Cayman and we stopped there on our cruise. We have been to Cozumel at least 7 times, six of those land vacations.

If you can drive to the Bayonne port, to me that's easy. Take the Explorer for 9 nights! I wouldn't think the weather would be much of a concern in June. If you opt to fly to Florida, I also suggest the Freedom over Oasis.

Bit of a drive from Texas to New Jersey :D

I've been in education for 33 years and also take those "break" cruises. I've been on every size ship RCCL has. I'd hands down take Oasis. We too were a bit leary of the mega-ships, but wanted to try it. We have since cruised Allure and have Oasis booked. I really think I felt less crowded on Oasis/Allure than any ship I've been on. There's so much to do and people tend to go their own way.

I cruised Freedom a few years ago and felt like it was the most crowded of any of our other cruises. Granted, I was with a group of 12 ladies. Other times it's my husband and I and sometimes our son comes along. So, I'm sure the 13 of us was a contributing factor.

This is just my opinion, for what's it's worth. You'll enjoy either.

The two cruises out of Florida will cost us about the same amount of money while the 9 night of course will slightly higher.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Did the EOS twice, last June and the year before in July.

Loved every moment. And what I really liked was day 8 and 9, just relaxing and sailing back. 9 nights was wonderful.

Did the EOS twice, last June and the year before in July.

Loved every moment. And what I really liked was day 8 and 9, just relaxing and sailing back. 9 nights was wonderful.

I keep coming back to the 9 day. I keep thinking it will be the most bang for my bucks. How are the CD's on Royal? I thought the ones from Carnival loud and obnoxious.

I keep coming back to the 9 day. I keep thinking it will be the most bang for my bucks. How are the CD's on Royal? I thought the ones from Carnival loud and obnoxious.

Some are great. Some are loud, obnoxious, and stuck on themselves, some are duds. Throw out names and people on these boards would be happy to provide opinions on specific CDs.

Archived