Are there SAS personnel at EWR 24hrs a day?

dchan865

Hi,

SAS call center usually offer 9-6pm Eastern time help with reservation. In the event something goes wrong and one need to rebook because of delay and other unforeseen issues, its my perception that it would be a challenge for someone to help you rebook the next flight outside those hours.

Does anyone know if there are SAS gate/desk(whatever you call them) agents available at EWR 24hrs a day that can help rebook you for the next flight? If its not 24hrs, may be they are available until Midnight?

Let me try to decipher this....I am assuming you mean that if your inbound flight to EWR is late and you miss your SAS connection out, will there be someone from SAS present to help you rebook?

My assumption (and only that but based on general knowledge) is that any SAS staff will be there for a short while after the last SAS departure of the night. But they would not just be manning a desk with no remaining flights that night. However, since SAS and CO/UA are both in Star Allliance AND are code-share partners, CO/UA staff will be able to assist you with rebooking you to Europe.

I don't fly Star, and tend to avoid EWR, so this is just my gut feel. It may even be the case that SAS flights are handled by CO/UA staff, so there wouldn't be any SAS employees there in any case.

So, if you are worried that you will arrive at EWR late, miss your flight and then have no one to help you, belay that worry. There will be CO/UA staff to help you rebook. Whether they can get you out that night on a different routing is another issue, completely dependent on whatever those irops conditions are, but that's nothing you can know in advance.

Does anyone know if there are SAS gate/desk(whatever you call them) agents available at EWR 24hrs a day that can help rebook you for the next flight? If its not 24hrs, may be they are available until Midnight?

Are there agents from any airline at EWR 24/7?

Are there agents from any airline at EWR 24/7?

United has ticket counter hours of 4:30am to 7:30pm. The last flight looks to arrive around 12am, and the first around 4:30am, so it's possible someone from the airline is there 24/7, but not necessarily.

Let me try to decipher this....I am assuming you mean that if your inbound flight to EWR is late and you miss your SAS connection out, will there be someone from SAS present to help you rebook?

My assumption (and only that but based on general knowledge) is that any SAS staff will be there for a short while after the last SAS departure of the night. But they would not just be manning a desk with no remaining flights that night. However, since SAS and CO/UA are both in Star Allliance AND are code-share partners, CO/UA staff will be able to assist you with rebooking you to Europe.

I don't fly Star, and tend to avoid EWR, so this is just my gut feel. It may even be the case that SAS flights are handled by CO/UA staff, so there wouldn't be any SAS employees there in any case.

So, if you are worried that you will arrive at EWR late, miss your flight and then have no one to help you, belay that worry. There will be CO/UA staff to help you rebook. Whether they can get you out that night on a different routing is another issue, completely dependent on whatever those irops conditions are, but that's nothing you can know in advance.

You gotta right, Flyertalk. That's exactly my concern. Its my first time ever flying on 2 different airlines on the same itinerary to anywhere so unsure what to expect. As long as SAS and CO/UA agents are present before or after the flight, then I'll not worry.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You gotta right, Flyertalk. That's exactly my concern. Its my first time ever flying on 2 different airlines on the same itinerary to anywhere so unsure what to expect. As long as SAS and CO/UA agents are present before or after the flight, then I'll not worry.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

And even if for some reason you were unable to find a CO/UA agent to assist you in person, surely SAS is available 24/7 and you could get assistance via a phone rep.

And even if for some reason you were unable to find a CO/UA agent to assist you in person, surely SAS is available 24/7 and you could get assistance via a phone rep.

No, they aren't, even the call centers for other countries, and that's OP's concern. And, yes, I understand he could get in touch with, say, the UK service center, because it might be open when the US one was.

The only people who have 24 hour phone assistance are EuroBonus Gold members.

No, they aren't, even the call centers for other countries, and that's OP's concern. And, yes, I understand he could get in touch with, say, the UK service center, because it might be open when the US one was.

The only people who have 24 hour phone assistance are EuroBonus Gold members.

My mistake; I forgot the OP had already mentioned the limited phone hours. I guess I'm too used to domestic airlines and their 24 hours access.

United has ticket counter hours of 4:30am to 7:30pm. The last flight looks to arrive around 12am, and the first around 4:30am, so it's possible someone from the airline is there 24/7, but not necessarily.

I think "not necessarily" is the correct answer. My story. I once departed on a night a flight that ended up having a mechanical issue, never took off and returned to the gate. Mechanics kept working on it and finally gave up at 12:30 am. The flight was canceled and we deplaned. A gate agent came to open the door but left quickly. As I walked through the terminal, I realized I had forgotten something on board and returned to the gate. That was 10 to 15 minutes later. No one there. No gate agent, no nothing. I then roamed the terminal, all four arms of it, looking for any CO/UA employee, and there was no one to be found in the entire C terminal, no one at any gate or any service center. The only people around were the cleaning crews, and they knew nothing, of course.

So yes, EWR does get deserted in the late hours, and finding a CO/UA employee will be a challenge. The CO/UA call center will be open 24 hours to help you. CO 1-800-523-3273, UA 1-800-864-8331.

Archived