Ruby + Vegetarian = Anytime or Traditional Dining...which would you do?

12Cruise

Ruby + Vegetarian = Anytime or Traditional Dining...which would you choose?

We are currently in Traditional...but are thinking of changing to Anytime.

If you, or someone you sailed with, are vegetarians...What are your views on this? What have your experiences been for both dining options?

Thnx!!

I'm a vegetarian. I frequently order special meals since many times the veggie meals on the menu aren't very good. There is no problem ordering special meals in AD but you don't always get the same table/section/head waiter. Not a serious issue, but things don't always go smoothly.

We now always book traditional dining so we get the same waiter & headwaiter and the service is ever so much better and they are much more accomodating. It is much easier to find out about the veggie meals and order ahead of time.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I of course know that the menus are the same. I guess I was more worried about the logistic of AD over TD when dealing with vegetarian dishes. I guess we'll stick with the TD. ;)

Happy Sailing!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I of course know that the menus are the same. I guess I was more worried about the logistic of AD over TD when dealing with vegetarian dishes. I guess we'll stick with the TD. ;)

If you would prefer Anytime, it is no problem.

Just use the same Anytime Dining Room each evening so you can work with the same headwaiter to plan the next day's meals.

If you would prefer Anytime, it is no problem.

Just use the same Anytime Dining Room each evening so you can work with the same headwaiter to plan the next day's meals.

I agree. I use anytime dining and have special dietary needs.Make sure you have arranged ahead on line or call Princess to make sure they know your situation. When you go to your cabin they will have a card you will give to the head waiter. Also when you eat the first night tell the waiter at your table you need to speak to the head waiter. Not only does he come to you but towards the end of the meal he will bring you the menu for the next night and you can discuss any modifications. You do not have to sit at the same table each night. Just tell your new waiter that the head waiter has your order for that night. The staff has been very helpful to make your dining experience wonderful.

Sali

Speaking for the CB (August/September) I had no problem whatsoever finding good vegetarian dishes on the menu, every meal, every time. You do not need to alert anyone to your status. Veg meals are quite good, too. Also, in the buffet, you will find Indian dishes that go beyond the usual veg offerings. Compared to being a vegan you really have no dietary concerns- you just don't order the meat.

Have a nice cruise! I loved Princess......:)

Speaking for the CB (August/September) I had no problem whatsoever finding good vegetarian dishes on the menu, every meal, every time. You do not need to alert anyone to your status. Veg meals are quite good, too.

True, but many of the non-vegetarian dishes can be prepared for vegetarians allowing them to enjoy a bigger selection of the menu.

For example, the French onion soup is made with a beef stock. The headwaiter can have it made for a vegetarian not using beef stock.

Thank you, Caribill - that would work, if we only utilized one of the AD dining rooms and one headwaiter, and not both, I'll think about that. :)

Also, if you want to dine in one of the specialty restaurants, speak to the headwaiter in that restaurant the evening before and work with him to plan your meal there.

We are just off the Crown and although I am not vegetarian, I often ordered meatless meals just because they looked so good or I was wanting to eat a little lighter (to save room for dessert).

I agree, you will have good choices either way, and will have no problem eating a variety of delicious things. If they offer a stuffed zucchini (I think it was at lunch?), be sure to try that because it was stellar for such a simple dish. I also had a salad and potato pancakes (latkes) with the traditional apple sauce and sour cream at another lunch. I love eggplant and it was often featured in a main dish.

A strict vegan would have a harder time and probably end up eating a lot of salad and pasta. But if your diet includes eggs and dairy, your biggest problem will be not gaining too much weight! (Side note: soy milk was readily available.)

Enjoy!

• 2 months later...
Any good suggestions for vegetarian meals served in the MDR?

Every day there will be vegetarian choices.

Working with the headwaiter the evening before, some of the non-vegetarian dishes can be prepared for you without meat products. For example, the French oinion soup is normally prepared with a beef stock. It can be made for you not using the beef stock. Again, just work with your headwaiter each evening to plan the next evening's meals.

Ruby + Vegetarian = Anytime or Traditional Dining...which would you choose?

We are currently in Traditional...but are thinking of changing to Anytime.

If you, or someone you sailed with, are vegetarians...What are your views on this? What have your experiences been for both dining options?

One thing to keep in mind when making a decision is that if you switch to Anytime now, you won't get Traditional back as there are very long wait lists for Traditional. My suggestion is to keep Traditional and see how it works for you. You can always switch to Anytime while onboard. Keep your options open.

We are vegetarians and have been by choice for a long time. We don't have any special needs. This Fall we will be sailing our 15th and 16th cruises with Princess. We have never tried traditional dining and really don't have a desire to do so. Anytime has always worked fine for us. There always seem to be enough vegetarian selections to satisfy us.

On our last cruise my wife ordered the vegetarian pea soup. It was brought garnished with ham. My wife didn't say anything - just didn't eat it. I mentioned it to our waiter who immediately called the head waiter over. He apologized profusely. That evening, when we returned to our cabin, there was a plate of chocolate covered strawberries with an apology letter from the Maitre D'.

I've also had the meat version of the vegetarian dish brought to me more than once in Anytime Dining. The waiters just assumed I wanted the meat dish even though I ordered using the vegetarian title.

If you chose Anytime, just pay attention to what you are eating and make sure it's what you ordered.

Never gotten any chocolate covered strawberries as a result...

I'm also a longtime lacto-ovo vegetarian and I've never had any problem on any cruise line. My best experience was one sailing on Princess when there were a large number of crew members from India. Each night, in addition to the MDR menu, the head-waiter gave me a choice of what was on the crew menu. I think I always ordered the vegetarian entree they were having even though I often had never heard of it. It was always great and I was never disappointed!

-Steve

Every menu has vegetarian dishes on - and if memory serves me right, one of them is vegan. I would not even make special arrangements for vegetarian without restrictions.

Now, if you need something special, like low sodium, or allergies, in this case I would certainly get traditional dining, so you have the same waiter every night who'd remember your restrictions.

If the only requirement no flesh on your plate - pick any dining schedule.

I've also had the meat version of the vegetarian dish brought to me more than once in Anytime Dining. The waiters just assumed I wanted the meat dish even though I ordered using the vegetarian title.

If you chose Anytime, just pay attention to what you are eating and make sure it's what you ordered.

Which it is why you need to plan the next night's dinner with your headwaiter, not order off the menu with your waiter. The headwaiter will make sure what you get is what you want.

Now, if you need something special, like low sodium, or allergies, in this case I would certainly get traditional dining, so you have the same waiter every night who'd remember your restrictions.

As it says at the bottom of every Princess menu, if you have any dietary restrictions, let your headwaiter or Matre d' know.

He/she will make sure the food is prepared the way you need it to be. Yes, your waitstaff should know so they are aware, but they cannot tell the galley to prepare any food differently.

And using anytime dining is fine. Just use the same dining room each evening so you can work with the same headwaiter. Your request is kept by your cabin number, so any waiter can retrieve it.

And, if you want to eat in a specialty restaurant, go by there the evening before to plan your meal with the headwaiter there.

Archived