San Diego Airport

Azulann

I wil be doing a full transit of Panama canal from FLL and end in San Diego.

1. ship docks at 7am. Will I be able to make a 11:30am flight from airport?Other option is a 3:00pm flight.

2. Do I go through customs? Have only cruised in Europe.

Assuming your ship docks on time and there is no unusual delay in releasing passengers, you will have no problem making a 1::30 flight. The airport is VERY close to the cruise port.

Yes, you need to go through customs.

However, if you go over to the West Coast Departures board, you will discover several discussions about how San Diego can be an absolute cluster when it comes to Immigrations and Customs clearing a ship. There are many examples, including our example of docking by 7 am, but the ship not being cleared until 9:15.

Yes, the airport is a short and cheap taxi ride away, However, it is really tough to give you confidence the 11:30 flight is OK. AbOsi has you on a 1:30 flight- that is a different story.

Thanks so much for your responses.

The only thing that makes my going through customs and TSA screening bearable is not to feel rushed...so...

I will book the 3pm flight and have plenty of time at airport to write my trip review about my cruise.:D

You will not clear customs at the airport; it will be done on the ship.

Immigration is done aboard the ship. That's where the delays in San Diego usually occur. It can take a long time before the ship is cleared for disembarkation. Luggage will be available on the dock to claim. You clear Customs on the dock, not on the ship itself. Normally "customs" is hand your declaration slip to an agent as you walk past.

Maybe I'm unlucky but I was off the ship and on the street at 12:30pm on one cruise and 10:45 on another. So 3pm will be unstressful. The airport, docks, downtown, and waterfront are all in a 2 mile area....so if you're way early for your flight it's very practical to check your luggage, then venture out of the airport for awhile.

The airport, docks, downtown, and waterfront are all in a 2 mile area....so if you're way early for your flight it's very practical to check your luggage, then venture out of the airport for awhile.

IIRC, you could take one of the hotel shuttles over to Shelter Island (?), where there are hotels and restaurants on the water. If the weather is nice, that could be more enjoyable than sitting around in the concourse area.

Archived