what month was the sea the roughest for you?

While that video was interesting, those were not very rough seas. Unless the swells hit the ship from the side those seas will feel very gentle.

We have had seas much rougher than that on numerous cruises, including in the spring, summer and in December.

May from Baltimore, although we've had rocky seas on a couple of Jan. cruises (not too bad) and one day of rough seas on a November cruise.

You really can't tell by month. I've also sailed the same May cruise and had glassy seas and another January cruise was the same.

wow.. thats all mixed up, lol. doesnt sound like it is reserved for hurricane season. for some reason, i feel anxious about it being hurricane season in october, with sept. the 'peak' time? i dont want to beat the subject to death as i have asked about this before, but just trying to get a picture of wether there are plredictible patterns.

We did a cruise once in Sept. in the Caribbean (hurricane season), and we had some rough weather with 10 - 12 foot swells. But, I'm not susceptible to motion sickness. I love being on the ocean, and while there may be others "losing their lunch", a little rough weather doesn't bother me. Our stop in Grand Cayman was cancelled though. You can look at weather patterns for a given time period, but there's no way to accurately predict ahead of time what the weather will be like when you go on a cruise.

still squirming a bit thinking about my oct. cruise coming up. just saw the videos from the storm in november aboard the freedom. it was scary!

so.. how bad has it gotten for you on a ship? and what month was it?

I've never had amazingly bad weather/seas. :D I think the worst was in August when I sailed on Holland America's Eurodam on a 16 day Northern Europe/Transatlantic cruise but that was only because when we were sailing down the east coast of Canada/the US, there was a hurricane coming right at us :eek: (we hid in the Gukf of St. Lawrence for a couple of days to avoid the worst of it)!! :)

I wouldn't worry to much about October, I sailed on the Carnival Valor in October 2008 and we had some of the smoothest seas ever!! :D Also, it's near the end of hurricane season (June to November) so the really nasty stuff should have come and gone already!! :D

Other than that 1 cruise, I don't think I've ever had super rough seas (a bit bouncy from time to time maybe but nother horrible)!! :D

January out of New York.... on our return as soon as we hit the cold north Atlantic Ocean... early in the evening the crew put our sea sickness bags at all the elevators and along ledges throughout the ship.... knew then it was going to be bad ... Waves were reaching the 11th or 12th floor at least, we were sitting in a lounge watching them crash.... after a bit I had to leave. You couldn't even set a drink on the table, it would slid right off... and anything that could be tied down was. My husband makes his living on the sea so he was ok but I had to go to sleep so I wouldn't get sick. :eek:

We have sailed tons of times during hurricane season. My worst seas were in May on the Holiday out of Mobile. We actually listed over a little and two employees were injured - things were crashing in the kitchen, etc. Winds were so bad we were unable to dock in Freeport. Would never have expected that in May!

December-- seas were 17 feet! As the captain said, "Not-A- too bad". We 5 were fine and I thought is was hilarious and fun!! If you went to the exercise room, your feet almost came off the floor!!!

They did close the top decks, the water slide and all water tours through the ship were cancelled in Cozumel.

I believe winter is worse because of the cold fronts coming off the US (unless you are near a tropical storm/hurricane).

wow.. thats all mixed up, lol. doesnt sound like it is reserved for hurricane season. for some reason, i feel anxious about it being hurricane season in october, with sept. the 'peak' time? i dont want to beat the subject to death as i have asked about this before, but just trying to get a picture of wether there are plredictible patterns.

I've done 3 sept/oct cruises 1 out of PR/miami/tampa and never had a bad night!! It's when mother nature wants it rough anytime any month!!

On a ship - Eurodam the week before Christmas - was told is was the exact same the year before - I didn't think it was possible to feel that much action on a big ship = fun bouncing around

- tender back from HMC was hellllll

On land - While in Jamaica - Hurricaine Wilma Oct. 2005

still squirming a bit thinking about my oct. cruise coming up. just saw the videos from the storm in november aboard the freedom. it was scary!

so.. how bad has it gotten for you on a ship? and what month was it?

Mid November was our worst month.

We were sailing out of NYC and a late season tropical storm worked it's way up the East Coast and merged with a storm out of Canada creating a HUGE Nor'easter...

Bottom line, we encountered 96 knot winds and 30 foot seas...

It certainly was an interesting ride overnight!!!

:)

Archived