Packing Jewelry - how?

ViolaSwamp

Keep in mind that none of my jewelry is valuable so I don't know if this is the improper way to carry valuable jewelry but I sure love it! I started by making 1 for me and 1 for my mom and niece for Christmas. Then 3 people saw them and ordered some. I'll show a couple of the designs because their fun. I found free tutorials online to do these and you could also scale up or down to make them larger, smaller, less or more pockets, etc. I put 2-3 pairs of earrings/small necklaces/bracelets in each pocket and a few chunky necklaces in the middle. I'm going to make another one for me with less pockets to fit more necklaces. If you are interested in making one for yourself I will be happy to send the links I used to make them.

bag1.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

My MIL got me the coolest travel jewelry case a few years ago. It is hard sided and has little compartments for earings and rings. Then the other side has a loop that you snap necklaces in. It folds in half.. Wish I could find another one..

I've got something very similar, and I did use if for a while, but I actually found it to be a pain. Not flexible, wouldn't hold my chunkier necklaces and all the little compartments were hard to access at times. But, it did provide secure fastenings for your nicer jewelry.

My husband got it at our local jewelers. It may have been 'free' as he was such a good customer! I use a soft roll-up case now.

• 2 years later...

I have searched and didn't really find a definite suggestion so I will just ask: I am a first time cruiser and I wondered how you feel about packing finer jewelry? Is there some sort of cut off you have for your finer items? What do you do with nice wedding sets or fine jewelry when you go on excursions? If you lock them in the safe, how safe is the safe? Sorry for all the questions, just things running through my mind.

I keep all those little baggies that come with spare buttons on new clothing, and they are perfect for holding a chain, a pair of earrings, etc. So everything is separate, and I cram it all into a makeup bag. But it's so easy to find what I want. My bigger pieces of jewellery - if I take them (I have some nice pearls but I'm not much of a jewellery person, apart from silver) goes into a bigger ziploc bag and into the same bag.

Okay, as a semi-veteran cruiser and avid traveler in general I am kind of embarrassed to even ask this question but here goes. :o

How do you pack your jewelry, in what type of container for travel? My pearls are easy - I keep them stored in their original Macy's box anyhow so that's simple. My other jewelry however is a nightmare. I have a lovely jewelry chest here at home but when I travel I always resort to putting my silver and gold necklaces, earrings, and bracelets in a Ziploc bag - they all eventually get tangled up. This cannot be the best way to transport my things.

Any ideas about what I could do instead?

Thanks.

Oh and I do always keep my jewelry in my carryon and not my checked.

I had a friend who took $25,000 worth of jewelry with her on an upscale cruise. On the last morning, she totally forgot to put her jewelry organizer in her carryon. She remembered at the airport and called the ship. Security went to look for her jewelry but the jewelry was never found. The jewelry was not insured.

This is JMO, but NEVER take any jewelry with you that matters to you or that you cannot easily afford to replace. Someone onboard always knows how to open every single safe in every single stateroom anytime they want to. If you choose to carry real jewelry, put it in the safe at the purser's desk.

I have searched and didn't really find a definite suggestion so I will just ask: I am a first time cruiser and I wondered how you feel about packing finer jewelry? Is there some sort of cut off you have for your finer items? What do you do with nice wedding sets or fine jewelry when you go on excursions? If you lock them in the safe, how safe is the safe? Sorry for all the questions, just things running through my mind.

There are two schools of thought as to bringing valuable jewelry. I bring it. Why own it if we don't wear and enjoy it? I am very careful with it; it never goes into a checked suitcase; I pack it in a bag that looks like it holds cosmetics rather than screams jewelry and I lock it in the 'safe' safe immediately I arrive in our cabin. In over 90 cruises, thankfully, I have never lost a thing that was locked in the safe.

I always wore my wedding rings except if going ashore in a port I thought it wise to not wear anything that sparkled. :)

A little OT but I wonder what will happen to all the jewelry in various niches of the Costa Concordia. I'd be happy to have escaped with my life but then I'd start wondering if I'd ever see my bling again.

I always wondered about that, especially with all of the cabins which remained out of the water....the now open safes would have jewellery, passports, euros, car keys...

It seems as though security was pretty tough, and I did hear that once the ship was upright and fairly stable, contents were being returned to the original passengers.

I always wondered about that, especially with all of the cabins which remained out of the water....the now open safes would have jewellery, passports, euros, car keys...

It seems as though security was pretty tough, and I did hear that once the ship was upright and fairly stable, contents were being returned to the original passengers.

I REALLY hope they made every effort to return jewelry and usable valuables to their owners. Hard for us to know though, isn't it?

I bring my 'good' jewelry along and keep it in the safe when I'm not wearing it. However, except for my wedding set, which is quite expensive, my good jewelry, while nice, doesn't cost tens of thousands of dollars. It travels in my carry-on of course.

I do not wear my wedding set on shore unless I feel it is a very safe port, and never if doing anything water related. It's just not worth the risk to me.

I feel the jewelry is secure in the safe. One thing to be sure of is to check the safe very carefully when you are packing up the last night; many of the safes have a kind of lip on the inside; rings and such can slip under that and are easily missed--it almost happened to me.

Guest maddycat

I have a multi-compartment hard clear plastic container that I take with me on cruises. I bought it at a craft store. It has separate compartments for rings, earrings and bracelets. I usually don't wear necklaces.