Packing Jewelry - how?

ViolaSwamp

Okay, as a semi-veteran cruiser and avid traveler in general I am kind of embarrassed to even ask this question but here goes. :o

How do you pack your jewelry, in what type of container for travel? My pearls are easy - I keep them stored in their original Macy's box anyhow so that's simple. My other jewelry however is a nightmare. I have a lovely jewelry chest here at home but when I travel I always resort to putting my silver and gold necklaces, earrings, and bracelets in a Ziploc bag - they all eventually get tangled up. This cannot be the best way to transport my things.

Any ideas about what I could do instead?

Thanks.

Oh and I do always keep my jewelry in my carryon and not my checked.

I put rins and earrings into small ziploc bags I get at craft stores such as Michael's etc The come in an assortment of small sizes (2 x 2", 2 x 3") and keeps the earrings together as a pair, keeps them from scraching rubbing against other things.

I then place those little baggies into a zip top cosmetic case (not see through) of appropriate size for the amount of things I am bringing on that trip. Necklaces can go into sandwich size baggies or snack size etc

[/b]

I avoid using something that looks like a jewelry roll or jewelry case.

I prefer for the closed case to look like it holds cosmetics as it might not catch the attention of someone looking to lift valuables from carryons under whatever circumstances. I have a collection of quilted Vera Bradley looking type bags in various sizes that work great.

Edited by sail7seas

Depending on how much jewelry you are planning on taking you can make your own travel "case". What I do is take a piece of sturdy paper/cardboard (like what dry cleaned or new shirts come with) and cut a clit at the top and bottom (size one end to the ength of your necklaces the other for bracelets) loop your jewelry onto the board. you can them punch earrings into the cardboard as well. Wrap it in colored tissue paper and into a ziploc bag and into the suitcase.

I avoid using something that looks like a jewelry roll or jewelry case.

I prefer for the closed case to look like it holds cosmetics as it might not catch the attention of someone looking to lift valuables from carryons under whatever circumstances. I have a collection of quilted Vera Bradley looking type bags in various sizes that work great.

I never travel with more jewelry than I can wear at one time unless the pieces have little value. Hard learned lessons.

I leave my best stuff in a safety deposit box and travel with lessor items.

I travel with a plain gold wedding ring that has no sentimental value.

Never put valuable items in your checked bags.

I use a jewelry roll I bought from one of the home shopping channels, it was either QVC or HSN. It was a set in three different sizes. You can check them out online. They are also a good place to buy "travel jewelry" - Looks like the real thing but no worries.

For costume jewelry, I pack much of it into the evening bag that is packed into the checked luggage.

For expensive real jewelry I keep it in a jewelry roll in my purse, not my rolling carry on. I've had to gate check my bag a couple times, valuables go into my purse/tote,

The drinking straw suggestion is great for chain necklaces, that tip has been recommended for years on the Fashion/beauty board here on CC.

I use a jewelry roll for costume jewelry, and pack it in checked luggage. I unroll and hang on a hanger in the closet with my clothes. I hang necklaces from the string tie rather than stuff them in pockets where they'll tangle.

Fine jewelry travels on my person or in a small bag in my tote bag with our medicines. I bring them in their boxes and they go in the safe.

I only bring what I know I'll wear based on my outfits. If it's an expedition cruise, I bring very little jewelry at all.

A couple of other options:

There are little "purses" made to store jewelry w/out tangling or scuffing. They either look like little kids' "easter" purses or like small hard sided cosmetic holders. The big difference is when you open them there are pouches, loops, earring slots, hooks, &/or ring rolls instead of the usually empty space or compartments. Several shops that have bed, bath, or closet organiser department tend to carry these as well as some craft stores and they run like $7 to $20 depending on how big or decorated they are.

A second choice is to go to a craft or fabric store to buy a decently opaque as well as thick piece of fabric like felt to roll your different pieces into. This works very well for chunky styles. First lay down fabric flat pierce or hook in any earrings a little bit in from 1 edge, then fold or roll over the edge till they are covered. Next add 1 bracelet at a time and cover. If a necklace can slide around the width of the fabric do so to help keep it from tangling on itself, again roll or fold over between each piece. Finish rolling or folding the rest of the fabric then use a couple of hair scrunchies or fabric ribbons at both ends to hold the "roll" together, rubber bands may exert too much pressure at those points causing stones or beads to dent any metal parts. No the prettiest but very cost effective.

I never travel with more jewelry than I can wear at one time unless the pieces have little value. Hard learned lessons.

I leave my best stuff in a safety deposit box and travel with lessor items.

I travel with a plain gold wedding ring that has no sentimental value.

Never put valuable items in your checked bags.

That's my philosophy, too. I might bring 2 rings, 2 pr of earrings, one chain and a couple of pendants, plus my good watch and my plain platinum wedding band. The rest is locked in the safe at home and I never bring anything with me that would be heartbreaking to lose.

A little OT but I wonder what will happen to all the jewelry in various niches of the Costa Concordia. I'd be happy to have escaped with my life but then I'd start wondering if I'd ever see my bling again.

I have a travel jewelry case that I bought from the Lillian Vernon catalog a zillion years ago. It opens like a book, and each "page" has clear zipper compartments so I can see everything.

Right now I'm visiting my DS and DDIL, waiting for grandchild #4 to make an appearance. My 2, 3, and 6 year old granddaughters love going through my jewelry case to "help" pick out my jewelry every morning. I love it, too!

I purchased a felt jewelry roll, similar to this one. The felt keeps everything from slipping and keeps pieces from tarnishing.

http://www.kinleycovers.com/jewelry-care/jewelry-travel-case.html

I have a similar roll, except mine is silk and I got it at a garage sale for 25 cents. I also put small items in the tiny zip-lock bags mentioned earlier, which helps prevent tangling and loose items. Then the roll is put in the bottom of my carry-on bag.

If I am taking less jewelry I put everything in a small zippered cosmetic case.

DW has a small box (about 6"X6") with compartments to put her earrings. Things like brackets, necklaces and alike go into individual small silk bags then every thing goes into a larger silk bag and then that goes into a zippered compartment of a large purse she travels with. Once on the ship the jewelry goes into the safe.