Baggage-less in Ft. Lauderdale--Allure Mishap

louv2000

Oh I am so happy for you! Thats a wonderful thing to get back. Hope its all there and intact. :)

I've been worrying and wondering what I can put on my plain jane suitcase to prevent this.

So far its painting it with my last name in neon pink with large daisy and rainbow ribbons and a luggage tag put on with an steel lock trap. (just kidding):D

Its been found!!! Just had a call from RCI. No details, but I have a FedEx tracking number. Should be here by Friday! Will keep you posted! Thanks for all your help!

Thanks for coming back and letting us know. This is good information to have tucked away if your traveling with Justin Case.

Super news!! Glad you will get your case back.:)

The baggage handlers told me to add connecting flights, hotel and address etc. to be able to send a case onward to your next destination, when it is found. If they know where you can pick it up next, then it helps. If they can not get hold of you, you maybe on a plane etc,..... then your bag will sit there until you contact them.

If a bag is lost at your own airport then your email and cell/home phone is all that is needed and lots of luck! Perhaps your ID tag fell/or caught and tore off - so it has to be opened to see if there is any ID inside?

Good Luck.

Help! Anyone have advice to offer?

I'm just off the Allure sailing today. Am staying at The Pillars in Fort Lauderdale for the night--flying back to Toronto tomorrow evening (will be leaving for the airport around 6:30 pm).

We departed the Allure in one of the last groups (#66). I think we got into the terminal to collect luggage around 10:30 or 11am.

My luggage was no where to be found.

There was a similar bag sitting there (medium size blue Samsonite with 4 spinner wheels). This bag was marked with some pink ribbons. The id tags were for a passenger from Bogota, Columbia.

Its my assumption that this passenger took mine by mistake. However, this is just a guess.

The RCI staff were less than helpful. My husband and I had to go up and down the customs line to see if we could find my bag but to no avail. I was directed to a podium to fill out a 'lost luggage' sheet. They made no attempt to locate the passenger on the Columbia tag. I was hoping they'd have that person's flight info or other contact info on file (I know I had to provide this when filling out my Seapass info).

I was hoping they'd make a general announcement to have people double check their bags before leaving. No.

The Pillars were wonderful. Upon our arrival they called the 2 airports, tracked down flights out to Columbia and have requested that luggage be checked carefully (mine has TWO id tags on it with my full name and address).

I don't have baggage insurance (just medical, trip cancellation and interruption) so will be out about $500--800. I need to sit and figure out what's all gone, but my camera was in there, as well as my jewellry and video camera. Some souvenirs bought on the ship and 1 litre of rum.

I had no intention of packing these things in this case, and had every intention of putting valuables in my carryon once we got to our local hotel. So please no lectures!! I know, I know.

Does anyone have any advice? any hope? any similar situations? Will RCI ship the bag home for me if it shows up at some later time?

Many thanks for any constructive ideas.

Lori

In July 2008 we took a cruise on the Navigator of the Seas out of Italy for a week. Someone in our group lost his luggage with airline on his way over. He boarded the boat (just barely made it) with the clothes on his back. The luggage was forwared to one of the ports 5 days into the cruise. 2 days latter when we disembarked...no luggage. His girlfriend's luggage was missing as well. They finally got it back over 3 weeks later. The delay was blamed on US customs.

OP, I am sooo glad to see that you will be getting your luggage back!!! I am sure that is a great relief!!!

So, I guess there is hope that I may see my luggage that is still missing from my Allure cruise last March;). Hey, I am a "glass is half full" kind of gal:D:D:D!!!!

Super news!! Glad you will get your case back.:)

The baggage handlers told me to add connecting flights, hotel and address etc. to be able to send a case onward to your next destination, when it is found. If they know where you can pick it up next, then it helps. If they can not get hold of you, you maybe on a plane etc,..... then your bag will sit there until you contact them.

If a bag is lost at your own airport then your email and cell/home phone is all that is needed and lots of luck! Perhaps your ID tag fell/or caught and tore off - so it has to be opened to see if there is any ID inside?

Good Luck.

My thought is that if your bag is lost/stolen & gets into the wrong hands, they now know where you live, where you're going & how long you'll be gone for. If they have your cell#, they can leave a message that you can easily return to arrange for the return of your bag.

This past Oct, we arrived at the Barcelona Intl Airport and DH took a Red luggage off the carosel, I quickly knew it wasn't our red one and told him to put it back. I had put extra ID tags and pink luggage strap on ours with identifying names on the straps. You can order luggage straps for your luggage and put whatever name you wish. Really helps when you have similiar colored luggage at airports and cruise terminals. http://www.lillianvernon.com/Product/PersonalizedLuggageStraps. For non personalized luggage straps, Amazon has them for much less. http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Luggage-Strap/dp/B000A8MG9A

Call me a cynic but I could still see someone going o a cruise then packing all their good stuff in a carryon then take another’s bag to offset their own cruise. Just because a person goes on a cruise does not make them honest. Just look at the news to see how low some will go.

Your kidding right...:rolleyes:

Its been found!!! Just had a call from RCI. No details, but I have a FedEx tracking number. Should be here by Friday! Will keep you posted! Thanks for all your help!

yeaaaaa:D So happy for you. Must be a huge load off your mind. BUT, it's been good info for all of us reading. I, for one, will make sure all info is 'inside' as well as 'outside'....AND nothing of any value inside. Used to have set of luggage with large lips on.....damaged and long gone....WILL CERTAINLY TRY TO FIND THAT KIND AGAIN. Sure no one would want to be caught with that style. Keep us informed on Friday if all is still intact.

Finally arrived via FedEx today. 4 days behind schedule.

All that was missing was the bottle of rum. Not sure if RCI is to blame for that or Canada customs? I'm out $20. No biggie.

Everything else including cameras and jewellry was there!

I'm happily doing laundry this evening. :D

All that was missing was the bottle of rum. Not sure if RCI is to blame for that or Canada customs? I'm out $20. No biggie.

:)

This is great news, I'm very happy to hear everything was returned to you (minus the rum)

:)

WOO HOOOOO . and for all the cynics out there i say !@*($**($&)(*!)#@(*)(*$.

seriously, im happy for you and your post is full of lessons for everyone, especially those that think they grabbed their bag!

I just bot a Giraffe print bag to make sure this never happens. =):)

When we were sailing on the Allure of the Seas, which features the Britto gallery, I saw that they were selling some very, very colorful luggage pieces with Britto designs. They were a few hundred dollars apiece or about a thousand dollars for a set, more than I would be willing to spend on luggage. I did consider that they'd be far more recognizable than our traditional looking bags, though.

Archived