Just curious when seasick bags come out?

happyiam

I've read several posters discussing seasickness and realize it is depends on the person. Also read how some feel movement more depending on the size of the ship, which makes sense. Does RCCL have a predetermined wave height that determines when to put the seasick bags out? Does this height vary depending on the ship...Enchantment vs Oasis for example.

As I said...just curious.

I dont know if they have a set wave height, but I agree it probably depends on the size of the ship. The worst we have experienced was a couple of months ago on Monarch. I don't know the height of the waves, but they were occasionally splashing the window of our Deck 2 oceanview cabin window and the first night in the Viking Crown, my wine glass would gently slide across our glass table and back. If I remember correctly, the seasick bags were out 3 of the 4 nights. Definitely a cruise to remember!

We have been on the Independence when crossing the Irish Sea when the waves made the journey a little bumpy. I was fine, in fact the rocking made me sleepy but I assumed that a few people weren't as lucky as me and sick bags were out by the stairs and toilet doors.

So I think it all depends on the person and how the crew feel. Some don't mind it, some get sleepy like me and others, well when you gotta go you gotta go :D

CK x

if the crew becomes aware of the potential for particularly rough seas, they will come out....

i would think anything about about 8 foot seas, maybe 10 or 12, but that's just mere speculation on my part.....

that said, i am sure if you want one, just ask! :D

Beats me. We saw barf bags lined-up along the stairs of Grandeur during a cruise heading south from Baltimore; while off North Carolina. We were not in a storm but at the time there was a hurricane making landfall in Florida and we were experiencing what was estimated to be 25' swells coming up the coast from that storm. We would walk across the deck and the ship would fall out from our feet making us airborne for a second; it was a freaky sensation. We had an aft cabin and it felt like the cabin was going to break off the ship it was shaking so hard -- of course it didn't.:D That evening there was an announcement requesting women not wear heels, and the next day there were a long of people with ankle sprains and few with broken wrists from falls.

I love it when the bags come out... It's a sure sign that I'm going to get a great night's sleep (love being rocked to sleep), and there will be fun times watching people stumble around. Position yourself in the schooner bar with a cocktail and watch the people teeter by, trying not to spill their drinks..

I have never seen bags hanging on the inside of the cabin door.

As for when they bring the bags out, it's random. I've only been on one cruise that they did put them out(Enchantment last July). We've been on several other cruises that were much rougher and the bags never came out. Funny thing is on the Enchantment trip I couldn't understand why they were out and I'm prone to seasickness. I always take something but can feel sick if the motion is bad enough. It wasn't on that trip so I thought it was funny bags were out. I never saw anyone who looked sick or even touch the bags so I'm not sure why the decision was made to put them out as the seas got better, not worse.

This is an interesting post because I haven't seen the bags put out in over a year, even in some very rough seas. It is something that I thought was given up. It is nice to know that some traditions are still in effect.

I, too, have never seen bags in the cabin....or anywhere on the ship. Perhaps I didn't notice in public areas, but I KNOW for a fact that we've NEVER had "barf bags" in the cabin...no matter how rough it was! Our first cruise was really rough...hard to go up and down the stairs...and in the hallways, you'd keep crashing into the wall! No bags out on that one!

I have never seen bags hanging on the inside of the cabin door. quote]

I, too, have never seen bags in the cabin....quote]

Maybe they aren't there anymore. On our first cruise we looked at EVERYTHING. We just wanted to take in as much as we could. On the back of the door (or on the wall next to the door) is a hook that has the room service menus and a few other items. One of the items was the sea sickness bags. We have not searched for them or paid attention as to whether or not they have been there since our first cruise. We are not prone to sea sickness. I assumed that since they were there once, they are there all the time.

I can see how having a ship of first timers would be cause for concern, but what about 2nd, 3rd,etc... timers whom have never encountered rough seas? Again the size of the ship factors in also. The Oasis has many first timers, from what I've read, and (I think) it could handle waves better than say the Jewel. This is why I thought there would be a wave height or something else that would determine when they brought out the bags.

Archived