Do they "close" the buffet area in the afternoons?

lucywestie

On our first and only cruise so far we used to go into the buffet at about 3pm and play some cards at the table while drinking tea and being able to choose from an array of scones and jams etc.

Sort of an inbetween lunch and supper thing that was going on. We were never kicked out and there were lots of other people all doing the same thing.

Will we find this onboard Princess cruises, more specifically Sapphire Princess?

Thanks

Pete

On our first and only cruise so far we used to go into the buffet at about 3pm and play some cards at the table while drinking tea and being able to choose from an array of scones and jams etc.

Sort of an inbetween lunch and supper thing that was going on. We were never kicked out and there were lots of other people all doing the same thing.

Will we find this onboard Princess cruises, more specifically Sapphire Princess?

Thanks

Pete

I haven't been on the Sapphire specifically, but on all of the other Princess ships I have been on, one side of the buffet is open for serving in the afternoon and the other side is closed. Great for card playing... If you want a snack, just walk to the open side and get what you want.

Mike

Thanks

Pete

They do occasionally shut down one side of the buffet or the other but the seating area stays available so you can certainly stay in there with little trouble. The other alternative is sitting in the piazza on Plaza deck by the International cafe. Also never closes, there's pastries and coffee available constantly, and there's performers at certain times.

I would suggest going to afternoon tea in the dining room between 3:30 and 4:30 for scones with jam & cream, little sandwiches, cookies, cakes, and tea! You probably shouldn't play cards in there though....maybe stop there for a snack, and then play cards afterwards. Or, stop for a snack at the International Cafe and then play cards at one of the little tables nearby :)

I would suggest going to afternoon tea in the dining room between 3:30 and 4:30 for scones with jam & cream, little sandwiches, cookies, cakes, and tea! You probably shouldn't play cards in there though....maybe stop there for a snack, and then play cards afterwards. Or, stop for a snack at the International Cafe and then play cards at one of the little tables nearby :)

Hi,

Question? We have never gone to afternoon tea on the 7 Princess cruises we have been on. I really want to do it all this year. Is there a dress code? Would it be smart casual or can my husband wear his jeans with a collared shirt?

Thanks, Laura

I'd highly recommend Princess' afternoon tea, it's terrific. We didn't know what to expect and walked in wearing tshirts and shorts and they let us in fine (it did feel a little funny when the wait staff served us with white gloves though). It was in one of the MDRs.

If you're interested, we posted our afternoon tea pictures from the Crown on our food album here:

http://www.cruisefoods.com/index.php?ship=crown_princess&cat1=3&cat2=1

Hope you enjoy it!

The other alternative is sitting in the piazza on Plaza deck by the International cafe. Also never closes, there's pastries and coffee available constantly, and there's performers at certain times.

Not a good suggestion. The seating for IC customers is lvery imited and using it for long periods of time by card players deprives IC customers of a place to sit and eat.

You can sit in the Horizon Court, but I've never seen scones and jam. One side will be open and there will be food there.

The HC ususally has scones, jam, and creme, at the same time Tea is being served in the Main Dining Room around 3:30-4:30. The HC scones get really hard and dried out under the Heat Lamp, so I prefer the ones they serve at Afternoon Tea in the MDR.

I finally made Elite, so on my next cruise, during Tea Time I get to order scones delivered to my stateroom:D:D:D

Hi,

Question? We have never gone to afternoon tea on the 7 Princess cruises we have been on. I really want to do it all this year. Is there a dress code? Would it be smart casual or can my husband wear his jeans with a collared shirt?

Thanks, Laura

No Dress code. I have worn shorts many times, just no bathing suits or cover-ups

I'd highly recommend Princess' afternoon tea, it's terrific. We didn't know what to expect and walked in wearing tshirts and shorts and they let us in fine (it did feel a little funny when the wait staff served us with white gloves though). It was in one of the MDRs.

If you're interested, we posted our afternoon tea pictures from the Crown on our food album here:

http://www.cruisefoods.com/index.php?ship=crown_princess&cat1=3&cat2=1

Hope you enjoy it!

Oh my! That was like a trip down memory lane! Thank you so much for sharing these! Great photos!

Archived