Cultural information

Brendaflamingo

Im starting my cruise from Venice Italy. Since I won't be able get the information from the ship, I'm looking for cultural information. The only one I know is to bring a wrap to wear when going into a church. I'm sure there is alot more I need to know. Do we brush our teeth with their water? WhAt to watch out for and what not to do to offend. Or if someone knows a website to find this out.

When in Rome. Ha ha

Brenda

You can drink the water in Europe so yes you can brush your teeth with it.

Italy is a very polite country(except for waiting in lines) say good morning before you ask a question or ask for something. Even if you are just looking around in the store greet the staff.

Buon giorno(bone jurno) if you want to try in Italian.

Don't touch things in stores. Ask for help.Especially don't touch fruit or food.

That's all I can think of for now.

This is almost certainly the best website for practical information about Venice:http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/ It doesn't specifically cover cultural stuff as such, but you can get a feel.

In any case, Venice is a busy, cosmopolitan city in a modern developed country, and its day-to-day culture is what you'd expect of such a city.

We have spent a lot of time driving through Italy (and also visited the country on many cruises) and can best sum up Italy with a simple saying: "It's Italy!" Note the exclamation point :) But after driving more then 10,000 miles within Italy (not an always easy feat if you understand about driving in Italy) we love the country and its culture more then ever. As to the question of water here is our take. We have friends from England who routinely visit the USA and almost always get some GI issues from drinking and eating in the US. Bottom line is that although water in Italy (and most of Western Europe) is quite fine, just the change is enough to cause some folks some GI symtoms (DW goes nowhere without her Immodiam). We certainly would not be concerned using Italian water to brush our teeth, shower, etc. But for drinking most folks tend to use bottled water (available everywhere) although I prefer my own method which is to substitute wonderful Italian wine or beer for water at every opportunity. Can't think of anything normal that offends Italians (It's Italy!) except perhaps the tendency of tourists to wear sock with their sandals :). As to Venice, its an amazing and unique place where just about everyone is a tourist..so you will be in fine company.

A couple of cultural points are that the Italians tend to take things a bit slower then in the US so don't be in such a hurry. Also be aware that in most of Europe the proper etiquette in restaurants and cafes is not to bring you a check until you ask. In any restaruant you also need to be aware that they have already added a service charge (tip). If you are happy with the service its normal to leave a little extra change as an additional tip. They also will often have a "cover charge" or "Il Coperto" at most restaurants. This should be indicated somewhere on the menu and is usually only a few Euros. Il Coperto is supposed to cover the cost of bread and water. Be careful in Venice because there a few cafes (especially on St Marks Square) that have very large "Il Coperto" charges. It is possible to sit in one of those large cafes fronted on St Marks Square, order a simple cafe, and find yourself with a 10 Euro check! This is wy those cafes are usually pretty empty.

Hank

The only one I know is to bring a wrap to wear when going into a church.

You do not need to wear a wrap when going into a church in Italy. Most churches do not allow sleeveless shirts or shorts. Maybe that's what you are thinking of?

Any good guidebook will give you cultural guidelines.

High churches (basilicas like St. Mark's in Venice, the Duomo in Florence, St. Peter's in Rome) require shoulders and knees to be covered, so no shorts or micro mini skirts either. For the most part other churches don't make a big deal about this, even though it's considered disrespectful.

Not touching things in stores, as mentioned above, is important. It's more true in higher end stores and not usually an issue in a souvenier type place, but it's a very big deal in a food shop. Even in grocery stores where you are allowed to select your own produce plastic gloves are provided so you don't touch anything with your hand.

It's hard to Americans to adjust to the European (not just Italian) concept of "crowding" rather than lining up. They simply step up and go for what they want rather than politely waiting their turn, as we've been taught to do. It feels rude at first, until you accept that this is their culture and it's normal behavior, not rudeness.

Another big difference when dining is that no one is in a hurry to shove you out the door and "turn the table". You may have to ask for your check a few times before you get it because they are not counting on filling the table again that evening, so there's no rush to move you along.

Im starting my cruise from Venice Italy. Since I won't be able get the information from the ship, I'm looking for cultural information. The only one I know is to bring a wrap to wear when going into a church. I'm sure there is alot more I need to know. Do we brush our teeth with their water? WhAt to watch out for and what not to do to offend. Or if someone knows a website to find this out.

When in Rome. Ha ha

Brenda

Know the hours for the places you'll be visiting or restaurants where you'll be eating. Non-stop hours are rare among traditional Italian restaurants. That means each meal is served at very specific hours. You won't starve if you need to eat at odd hours, but the restaurants that stay open around the clock tend to be more frequented by tourists and may not be the best or most cost-effective. (

In general, walk two blocks away from a tourist destination before considering a restaurant for a meal.

Churches and small shops patronized by the locals tend to close down for a three-hour stretch at mid-day. Figure out your itinerary before visiting a city so you don't get frustrated to encounter a locked door. (And even then, remember, "It's Italy!" Sometimes the printed schedule is just a suggestion.)

You have received lots of good tips and ideas. Venice and Italy are super wonderful. Hopefully, you will have enough time for Venice before the start of your cruise. Do miss the great sail out there. Below are a few of my highlight pictures for this charming and historic city.

Get out, walk around, explore this spectacular city.

You might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around".

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Also, here's a good resource, Venice Tourism Office:

http://www.turismovenezia.it/venezia/eng/default.asp?lingua=en

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,236 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Don’t miss the sail-out and/or sail-in for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

From the interior of Venice’s St Mark’s on the second/upper level, here is a view that shows how much on this church is covered in these opulent, gilded Byzantine mosaics. Notice the details in the floor of this famed Basilica.:

VeniceStMarksInteriorDetails.jpg

From near the Doge’s Palace, here is the view across the main waterway to San Giorgio Maggiore, a 16th century Benedictine church built between 1566 and 1610. Also shown is a gondola and passengers in the foreground. There were eight to ten thousand gondolas during the 17th and 18th century with only about four hundred in active service today in Venice:

VeniceGondolaStMarkAcrossH2O.jpg

This is a Venice parish church called Chiesa di San Moise on Campo San Moisè. It has an elaborate Baroque facade that is covered in designs that one travel book describes as having “scrumptious icing flourishes of carved-stone ornament”. This 1660’s facade is on a church site dating back to the 9th century and that honors Moses. At the right is the modern front of the five-star Bauer Hotel that is connected with an older palazzo fronting the Grand Canal.:

VeniceChurchNearBauerHotel.jpg

No visit to Venice is complete without seeing the famed Rialto Bridge. It is one of the four bridges spanning the Grand Canal and is the oldest bridge across the canal. The Rialto market on the eastern bank increased traffic to the original floating bridge, replaced in 1255 by a wooden bridge. During the first half of the 15th century, two rows of shops were built along the sides of the bridge. The present stone bridge was completed in 1591. The engineering of the bridge was criticized and doubted, but it has become one of the architectural icons of Venice. We had a brief drink and snack here to watch all of the activities around this busy location.:

VeniceGrandCanelBridge.jpg

This is a mask shop hidden on the back-streets of Venice. We had discovered this great place in 1999 and were lucky to find it again as we explored a little off of the typical tourist streets of Venice. They have such delightful and creative designs serving more of a professional customer base. It is not just a tourist place with imported “stuff”. These are the “real” deal that made this art famous in Venice. It is called Tragi comica. Their web address is http://www.tragicomica.it. :

VeniceMaskShopFound.jpg

Archived