Catholic Mass onboard?

Interesting point!

Again, the best solution, which would satisfy the majority of believers, would be an interdenominational service led by a crew member. Then each individual could choose whether on not to attend.

I might be wrong but I would say that the biggest percentage of crew members are probably Catholic. Maybe some Muslim. Wouldn't you say believer33323?

BTW not anything against what you believe. But Christ started the Catholic Church. Every Christian church is an offshoot if the Catholic CHurch. The first Protestant church was not formed until 1517

I might be wrong but I would say that the biggest percentage of crew members are probably Catholic. Maybe some Muslim. Wouldn't you say believer33323?

BTW not anything against what you believe. But Christ started the Catholic Church. Every Christian church is an offshoot if the Catholic CHurch. The first Protestant church was not formed until 1517

The church actually began on the Day of Pentecost. Whether Orthodox, Roman Catholic, Baptist, Methodist or whatever, why can't we simply accept one another and not be so judgmental that we think we alone have the answers and the way to God?

As I recall, Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life." He didn't specify a specific religion or denomination!;)

BTW not anything against what you believe. But Christ started the Catholic Church. Every Christian church is an offshoot if the Catholic Church. The first Protestant church was not formed until 1517

I would think it depends on the nationality of the crew. It's not like it used to be where you could pretty much tell by the country they come from. Today the Church is losing so many because they don't understand the true reason for being Catholic. I just started reading a great book on Catholicism (And don't laugh it is a very good book referred to me by one of our Passionist priests and written by 2 priests) "Catholicism for Dummies" and it comes in Kindle form.It explains the Catholic church and it's teachings in down to earth language.

You would only say that because of your ignorance of the Catholic faith. The most important part and the main reason for catholics to celebrate mass is to receive the True Body and Blood of Jesus Christ and that can only be done by a Catholic priest. Catholics don't celebrate Non-denominational masses. I don't mean to be hard but that's just the way it is.

I've been throught this some time ago with that poster on another thread about this very topic. He is aware. I think that he doesn't care.

You would only say that because of your ignorance of the Catholic faith. The most important part and the main reason for catholics to celebrate mass is to receive the True Body and Blood of Jesus Christ and that can only be done by a Catholic priest. Catholics don't celebrate Non-denominational masses. I don't mean to be hard but that's just the way it is.

I want to make a comment, but this is not the time or the place as it is a cruise board discussion. Let's just say, I am happily no longer a member of the Catholic Church.

You are right, in that Roman Catholics do not celebrate non-denominational masses. In fact, no one does. It is a non-denominational service - and it can include communion - open to all Christian believers.

I'm hoping for an episcopal priest. I don't want non-denominational, I want holy Eucharist on Easter. RCI doesn't know yet if there will be any religious services on our Easter sailing.

I will be on the Allure Easter Sunday. I emailed RCCL to ask if their will be a Catholic Priest on board to conduct Mass, and they told me yes. The only times that a Catholic Priest is on board is Christmas and Easter otherwise only if they are a passenger and want to do Mass they can. If people don't want to go to Mass on board they can always find a church in Fort Lauderdale and go before they get on the ship no matter what religion you are.

We were on Voyager last year during Holy Week - got off the ship on Easter Sunday. I was dissappointed to not have a priest for Mass on Good Friday, but I guess when the website says there is a priest onboard for Easter, they only mean the cruise that embarks on Easter Sunday. I will be on Navigator for Holy Week this year. I doubt there will be a priest on board.

If there is a priest leading worship, I hope he is not being subsidized by RCCL.

I don't see why it would matter. There are many things on board that are subsidized by RCCL that you/I don't use.

For me one of the things that comes to mind is Kids Club - I have no children on board. Why am I helping pay for staff for the Kids Club? I'm sure that if I thought about it, there are several more things that I don't use but help pay for.

Doesn't matter IMHO. I just want to be on the big boat!! :o

We were on Voyager last year during Holy Week - got off the ship on Easter Sunday. I was dissappointed to not have a priest for Mass on Good Friday, but I guess when the website says there is a priest onboard for Easter, they only mean the cruise that embarks on Easter Sunday. I will be on Navigator for Holy Week this year. I doubt there will be a priest on board.

Catholic Mass is never celebrated on Good Friday! There is a Good Friday service but not a Mass!

Catholic Mass is never celebrated on Good Friday! There is a Good Friday service but not a Mass!

I was going to make this exact comment but I wanted to finish reading the thread so as not to repeat. Good Friday is the ONLY day of the year where there is no Mass, hence no consecration of the hosts. Communion received on Good Friday is typically from Holy Thursday Mass.

I found this to be an interesting thread.

Interesting point!

But then you have the issue of fairness. Remember also that RCCL is not a private corporation but publicly traded. As such they have a responsibility to be fair to their shareholders who are, in esssence, their owners.

Fairness would demand that this publicly traded corporation not show favoritism to one religion over another, especially since the majority of their owners probably do not subscribe to that religion.

Again, the best solution, which would satisfy the majority of believers, would be an interdenominational service led by a crew member. Then each individual could choose whether on not to attend.

Actually, the role of a corporation -- especially a publically traded one -- is the maximization of profits. As such, they are free to do with their supply (cabins, in this case) as they see fit in the quest to maximize profits. If that means a free or discounted cabin to a member of the clergy, regardless of religious affiliation, that's their perogative. Fairness doesn't come into play.

Michael

Thanks Believe I was going to post that link. Priests can and do celebrate Mass on board the ship.

I had a very dear friend who belongs to the Apostlship of the Sea and cruised often. He paid his way to and from the ship. He was given his room on board. In turn he celebrated Mass every day for the passengers. Also held Mass and a non denominational service for the crew. He also was on call 24/7 in case of an emergency and visited the infirmary twice a day. He always said he kept very busy. Unfortunately I never did get a chance to sail with him.

Celebrating a wedding on board (which they don't) is different then celebrating Mass.

If celebrating a mass is really an essential thing for Easter than maybe being on a cruise is not the place to be on Easter. Not trying to be rude or disrespectful. It just seems to me that if you are truly so devout that a non demoninational service just won't do it for you, then you should be at home in your regular church. A quote from Steel Magnolias comes to mind at times like this. "Honey, God don't care which church you go to, just as long as you show up!" Blessings on all, Christian or otherwise.

If celebrating a mass is really an essential thing for Easter than maybe being on a cruise is not the place to be on Easter. Not trying to be rude or disrespectful. It just seems to me that if you are truly so devout that a non demoninational service just won't do it for you, then you should be at home in your regular church. A quote from Steel Magnolias comes to mind at times like this. "Honey, God don't care which church you go to, just as long as you show up!" Blessings on all, Christian or otherwise.

Excellent post!

I'm really tired of all this judgmental stuff that demeans the beliefs of others.

Neither a priest nor a minister is necessary to pray or to worship God.

Let a crew member lead an interdenominational service where folks can share, sing, praise and pray. And if you believe you are being condemned to eternal damnation because you haven't received the rites of the church, then maybe you should stay home. It's not up to Royal Caribbean to ensure your eternal salvation!

Gosh! did not mean to make this such a controversial question. I think I can rest on the answer being - no - and we can retire this thread...

I was only asking for my friend - who I am sure would find this whole thread very interesting (if she was on CC).

We will be in CocoCay on Sunday, Nassau on Saturday. I have suggested if it is that imperative to her - she can find a mass in Nassau.

Thanks for all your input.

Invite your local priest to join you on the cruise

Oh, don't you think she didn't already suggest this ! ;)

Archived