Catholic Mass onboard?

There are no priests "on call"...it's up to a passenger who's a member of the clergy to do a service....it may not be a catholic service...it may be "non-denominational"....who knows.

The chapel is available to anyone who wishes to pray or whatever.

ok, thanks! Would it be appropriate to post this on that 'message board' on the ship relating to different meetings (ex. Red Hat, Friends of Bill, etc.)?

no, my friend is a Religious Ed Director at her church (and a newbie cruiser), and a 'non-demonational service' will not do for her...LOL

her other option is to possible find a Saturday night mass while we are in Nassau, as we at CocoCay on Sunday.

She is not on CC and not very planning/researching savvy - which is the reason I am checking for her.

We sailed once with a Priest on a Celebrity cruise. Loved having Mass everyday. Sailed once over Easter when Carnival told me there would be a Priest and there wasn't.

Holland used to have a Priest on board not sure if it still does.

If i was able to sail and be able to go to Mass I would choose that ship over another.

Our roll call has a priest. We are sailing at Easter time though. Don't know if that has something to do with it or not. He said he was assigned to our sailing. Not sure how you get that assignment, but it sounds like a good deal to me!

I have sailed at Easter the last 5 years. We had a priest do the Mass every day in some cases. They mainly have them on board at Christmas and Easter.

Call RCCL. They can tell you if a priest will be on board for your sailing.

We sailed once with a Priest on a Celebrity cruise. Loved having Mass everyday. Sailed once over Easter when Carnival told me there would be a Priest and there wasn't.

Holland used to have a Priest on board not sure if it still does.

If i was able to sail and be able to go to Mass I would choose that ship over another.

Of the lines I'm familiar with, HAL, Cunard, and Crystal have a priest on board every cruise.

Roy

If there is a priest leading worship, I hope he is not being subsidized by RCCL.

I'm a Protestant, and would be very upset to learn that RCCL is subsidizing one religion over another. If RCCL is paying the priest's way, at they very least they should also pay for a minister considereing that 51% of the U.S. population is Protestant and only 25% Catholic.

If there is a priest leading worship, I hope he is not being subsidized by RCCL.

I'm a Protestant, and would be very upset to learn that RCCL is subsidizing one religion over another. If RCCL is paying the priest's way, at they very least they should also pay for a minister considereing that 51% of the U.S. population is Protestant and only 25% Catholic.

I wonder if that thought would have crossed your mind if the OP asked if there were a Protestant pastor on board to say mass. I think not!

I wonder if that thought would have crossed your mind if the OP asked if there were a Protestant pastor on board to say mass. I think not!

Sure I would have. To me, the best solution is to train a few crew members who are commited Christians to lead a non-denominational service for all who choose to attend. I'm sure there would be Catholics and Protestants who would gather for worship and prayer. And who says you need a priest or minister to lead worship. Laypeople do it all the time. And BTW, just so you know, Protestant pastors do not say mass. They lead worship and serve communion.

I found this link which may be of help.

Apostleship of the Sea of the United States of America

http://aos-usa.org/partcl.php

Participating Cruise lines:

Celebrity Cruises: Lenten, Easter, Christmas and Holy Land Cruises

- Holland America Line: All Cruises have AOS USA Cruise Ship

Priests onboard

- Norwegian Cruise Line: Easter and Christmas Cruises only

- Royal Caribbean International: Easter, Christmas and Re-Positioning

Cruises

Sure I would have. To me, the best solution is to train a few crew members who are commited Christians to lead a non-denominational service for all who choose to attend. I'm sure there would be Catholics and Protestants who would gather for worship and prayer. And who says you need a priest or minister to lead worship. Laypeople do it all the time. And BTW, just so you know, Protestant pastors do not say mass. They lead worship and serve communion.

You would only say that because of your ignorance of the Catholic faith. The most important part and the main reason for catholics to celebrate mass is to receive the True Body and Blood of Jesus Christ and that can only be done by a Catholic priest. Catholics don't celebrate Non-denominational masses. I don't mean to be hard but that's just the way it is.

RCCL is a corporation, they can subsidize any passenger they choose to. If it were a government entity, I would agree with you.

The Catholic church doesn´t allow their priests anymore to hold a service onboard (and especially weddings). By that time RCI and Celebrity discontinued to have a priest onboard.

steamboats

There has been priest on every RCI TA and Mass is celebrated every day on board.

MSC also had a priest on board, but as that is an Italian cruise line, that would be expected

Christmas midnight Mass was incredible as it was said in 5 languages.

can anyone tell me if there is any celebration of Mass while on a ship? I will be sailing with catholic friends on the Monarch over the weekend of March 2-5.

I've done a search without any luck. TIA !

I don't believe so - there may be a non-denominal service. Will you be in a port on the 4th? Check http://www.catholic-mass-times.com and find out all the Mass times throughout the world.

RCCL is a corporation, they can subsidize any passenger they choose to. If it were a government entity, I would agree with you.

Interesting point!

But then you have the issue of fairness. Remember also that RCCL is not a private corporation but publicly traded. As such they have a responsibility to be fair to their shareholders who are, in esssence, their owners.

Fairness would demand that this publicly traded corporation not show favoritism to one religion over another, especially since the majority of their owners probably do not subscribe to that religion.

Again, the best solution, which would satisfy the majority of believers, would be an interdenominational service led by a crew member. Then each individual could choose whether on not to attend.

you would only say that because of your ignorance of the catholic faith. The most important part and the main reason for catholics to celebrate mass is to receive the true body and blood of jesus christ and that can only be done by a catholic priest. Catholics don't celebrate non-denominational masses. I don't mean to be hard but that's just the way it is.

amen!

You would only say that because of your ignorance of the Catholic faith. The most important part and the main reason for catholics to celebrate mass is to receive the True Body and Blood of Jesus Christ and that can only be done by a Catholic priest. Catholics don't celebrate Non-denominational masses. I don't mean to be hard but that's just the way it is.

I respect your right to belive as you do.

I hope you respect my right to do the same!

I guess that's why only one ship (NCL Pride of America) is registered in the USA. Not sure how/why that is. Must be a token American cruise ship to make someone (politician)happy.

They have priests onboard during holy week and Christmas sailings. Sometimes, there is a priest onboard sailing that will offer mass to everyone. We are sailing on Allure March 18 and we have a priest going with us. I had to send in a copy of a letter from our Bishop saying he was in good standing with the church before they would allow him to say mass. You might want to go to the Roll call section and find people that are on your cruise and ask if anyone knows if there is a priest sailing because sometimes there is and he will say mass to a small group instead of opening it up to the whole ship...because maybe he did not know he had to send in the paperwork ahead of time. Anyone on Allure, March 18 can meet us for a mass by the beach at the Marriott Harbor Beach and also on the ship on March 24!

Archived