Getting to Butchart gardens in Victoria

Hello,

We have been to Butchart gardens while on several cruises but are going with friends who have never been there. We have taken the trip through Princess and also rented a driver and car from right on the dock. Has anyone taken the city bus from downtown Victoria to the gardens?

If so, would you do it again and how long did it take?

cordially,

islandermg

Yes we have. It wasn't that bad of a ride since we had never been to the island before and enjoyed a slower pace of driving thru. I think it probably took a hour. The only problem you coud run into is if you don't check when the last bus returns from the gardens you could be stuck taking a taxi back since it seemed to be earlier than I thought. We didn't go until after lunch so we had to rush thru the gardens to make sure we made the last bus and the entrance fee isn't cheap so you want to get your moneys worth. And that bus was packed.

I'd say, go early in the mornig and then you have all day. There are plenty of bus schedules posted.

Enjoy.

Hey, not to throw a wrench into your plans...but have you ever gone to Beacon Hill Park? It is like a mini Butchart Gardens, is within walking distance to the ship (near Mile 0) and entrance is free. When disembarking, walk out through the lot and turn to your right and follow the path alongside the oceanfront. When you see the sign for Mile 0 (the beginning of the Pan American Highway), turn to your left and walk up the street where you will pass the most famous little ice cream shop in all of Victoria on your left. Continue on a block or two more and you will see one of the entrances to Beacon Hill Park on your right. It is not as grand as Butchart Gardens but is very lovely and not crowded at all. When going to Butchart, I did feel as though there is only so much you can see before overload started setting in. Now, this was only me so again, not trying to talk you into something different if you have your heart set on Butchart. It is lovely but just throwing out another thoroughly enjoyable option to save you time and money and a little taste of the true Victoria.

In addition, when leaving the park, you can continue along Douglas Blvd and make your way past the Museum of Natural History (Totems outside to recognize it), which is just behind the government buildings and then onto the Empress Hotel. All in all, if you do this loop, it is probably a solid hour of walking -- and then again, you can always get a cab back to the ship or if you need to walk off some of the buffet you've consumed, you can even hoof it back through the lovely Victoria neighborhoods where the kids are out in the street playing kickball -- ah, a true flair for one of my favorite islands.

If you do end up in Butchart, I know you will also have a great time ...and enjoy!!

Beacon Hill Park is indeed lovely but not as spectacular as the Gardens. Mile 0 is the start of gthe Trans Canada Highway. The Royal BC Museum (you must have permission from teh Queen to use the title Royal) is one of the best museums in the world and definatgely worth seeing. I hope yu enjoy my city that I am so proud of.

ONe question. Are you sure your ship allows you much time. Most are now only here for a few hours to fulfill your Jones Act requirements of a foreign stop.

Did it, and it worked out fine...and was much, much cheaper than any other option. We had one of those miserably too short half-day stops in Victoria on an Alaskan cruise. Got off the ship ASAP, hustled, and got to the Gardens around opening time, before it got ridiculously crowded. (Unlike Compzer's experience, though, the buses were not crowded at all.) We had 2 1/2 hours there, which seemed about right.

Things to watch out for: You have to get from the port to the stop for the northbound 75 bus (Fairfield and Blanshard, as I recall), which was a bit tricky to find: we asked at a nearby coffeeshop. And the earliest buses on the route don't stop at the gate of the Gardens, but nearby, requiring a stroll up the road to get there. As Compozer said, allow time to get back. We took an earlier bus than we absolutely had to, and since it ran a bit late, were glad we did.

If we went to Butchart again, that's how we'd get there. Not to sound like a cheap barbarian, but though the Gardens are beautiful, they're sure pricey for what you get.

We were in port all day & my wife found the bus system very convenient to use. We emailed Butchart about ways to get there from the pier & they replied with all options for getting there. They gave detailed instructions on how to take the bus or you could check the bus system website for routes, times & cost. She took the public bus primarily to have more time to enjoy Butchart at her own pace & not the limited time in any tour. She loves gardens like Keukenhof in Holland & enjoyed Butchart very much.

Hello,

We have been to Butchart gardens while on several cruises but are going with friends who have never been there. We have taken the trip through Princess and also rented a driver and car from right on the dock. Has anyone taken the city bus from downtown Victoria to the gardens?

If so, would you do it again and how long did it take?

cordially,

islandermg

Just another option. I rented a car from Budget ($40)(they picked us up at the pier) then a quick drive to Butchart. The first time it rained, so we didn't actually stay at the Gardens all that long. Back to Victoria to Craigdarroch Castle (sp?) then back to Budget and they took us back to the ship.

The second time we went ($60), we decided to do the Butterfly Gardens (and again it rained) but the Butterfly Gardens are indoors. Then back to Victoria to a lovely little Tea Room behind the Govenrment buildings, then back to Budget and transferred back to the ship.

With 4 of you, the cost pp would be minimal. And if I can drive & find my way, anyone can.

How did we miss Beacon Hill???

Our cruise didn't stop there so we had lots of time - We ended our cruise in Vancouver and took a bus over to the island. It was really kind of fun because the bus or should I say more than dozen buses and trucks park on the ferry and then you go upstairs and sit, stand, eat or whatever. The ferry was huge - our first time on one. After staying for a couple nights, we took the high speed ferry to Seattle - kind of neat BUT it was so foggy that we couldn't see anything on the water. Make sure you buy your tickets ahead of time - it was over Memorial Day weekend and we figured since it wasn't a holiday for Canada that it wouldn't be busy - NOT forgot that US people like to go over there for their holiday. We were on standby and luckily got on and made our flight the next day.

We were in port all day & my wife found the bus system very convenient to use. We emailed Butchart about ways to get there from the pier & they replied with all options for getting there. They gave detailed instructions on how to take the bus or you could check the bus system website for routes, times & cost. She took the public bus primarily to have more time to enjoy Butchart at her own pace & not the limited time in any tour. She loves gardens like Keukenhof in Holland & enjoyed Butchart very much.

Do you still have the e-mail from Butchart? If so, could you please forward it to me? Thanks.

gthiel at tampabay dot rr dot com

If you are in Victoria only for the evening then I would advise against it as the return schedule is quite reduced in the evening.

Otherwise transit certainly is an option. You simply exit the parking lot gates at the Ogden Point Terminal, cross the street, there is a bus stop within the block. Take the #31 bus, be sure and ask for a transfer, to the Royal Oak Exchange and then transfer to a #75 bus to the Gardens. Reduce the procedure for the return.The total trip is going to take just a little over and hour and your fare will be $2.50 each way and if over 65 then $1.65. You will need the exact fare in CDN funds.

#31 bus from the cruise terminal (don't cross the street per a previous poster, that would be the bus heading to the turn-around, and would just waste 10 minutes). Tell the driver you want to transfer to the #75 at Royal Oak to get to Butchart Gardens (he may also suggest you do it downtown, but not all #75s start downtown, only ones during commute times).

http://bctransit.com/ has more details and bus maps, along with schedules (note the #75 doesn't run nearly as often as the #31 does)

While Beacon Hill Park is nice, if you're looking for uncrowded spectacular gardens, I would recommend the Lt Governors mansion; also free, located on Rockland Ave and close to downtown.

http://www.ltgov.bc.ca/gardens/default.htm

Sadly, there's no longer a Rockland bus, but if you take a bus up Fort Street, you can get off at Joan Cres, and head south past Craigdarroch Castle to govt house, it's not too long a walk.

if you need any more information, let me know, I lived in Victoria for 30 years.

#31 bus from the cruise terminal (don't cross the street per a previous poster, that would be the bus heading to the turn-around, and would just waste 10 minutes). .

Actually for the most part of the day it would likely be the same bus and you will be sitting down having a bit of a look at residential Victoria rather then standing at a bus stop.

Actually for the most part of the day it would likely be the same bus and you will be sitting down having a bit of a look at residential Victoria rather then standing at a bus stop.

it's five blocks to the turnaround, where the bus then sits for 10 minutes. It's not going to give you much of a view of Victoria, and given the 15 minutes out and back to merely end up back where you started, a place where a bus runs every 20 minutes had you not gone to the effort to cross the street to the wrong bus stop. If you want to spend 15 minutes and enjoy the view, exit the cruise terminal and walk a couple of blocks to your right along the waterfront

How did we miss Beacon Hill???...

Different strokes I guess but for me, Beacon Hill is not "all that" at all. It's nice... but it's absolutely not worthy of going there for what it is, IMO. I lived in Victoria for 35 years and went to Beacon Hill Park on a few weekends when the kids were little, but it's not the first and foremost stop in Victoria I would recommend. It doesn't compare to Butchart Gardens, which yes, has an incredibly inflated admission price, but I think Victoria in general does. Tea at the Empress is about $55.00 per person now, ridiculous!

Anyway... just my 2 cents. :)

it's five blocks to the turnaround, where the bus then sits for 10 minutes. It's not going to give you much of a view of Victoria, and given the 15 minutes out and back to merely end up back where you started, a place where a bus runs every 20 minutes had you not gone to the effort to cross the street to the wrong bus stop. If you want to spend 15 minutes and enjoy the view, exit the cruise terminal and walk a couple of blocks to your right along the waterfront

Same bus then so you can stand and wait or sit and wait....your choice.:rolleyes:

Thank you all for this discussion. I have printed the map routes for #31 and #75 and when the time is closer I will print the time schedule for the stops. I feel good about this now. I guess we will have to convert money on the ship to get the CDN funds for the bus.

Thank you all for this discussion. I have printed the map routes for #31 and #75 and when the time is closer I will print the time schedule for the stops. I feel good about this now. I guess we will have to convert money on the ship to get the CDN funds for the bus.

US coin is generally taken at par, so as long as you have $2.50 in coin, you'll be fine. Another option is just buy something cheap with a US$20 at the gift shop at Odgen Point (as you get off the boat), and your change will be in C$

Now if there are only 2 persons who need only need $10 in total for their bus fare and have bought bought something for $2 that you really didn't need with a US $20 note and paid 24 cents in sales tax, you now have a $2 item you don't need and an extra $7.76 in CDN funds you really don't need... oh, I have an idea just go to the closest branch of the Royal Bank and deposit the $7.76 to my account.....they know who I am, I am the guy with the big overdraft. If that that sounds all to complicated go to the pursers desk and get two $5 CDN notes and be done with it.

Now if there are only 2 persons who need only need $10 in total for their bus fare and have bought bought something for $2 that you really didn't need with a US $20 note and paid 24 cents in sales tax, you now have a $2 item you don't need and an extra $7.76 in CDN funds you really don't need... oh, I have an idea just go to the closest branch of the Royal Bank and deposit the $7.76 to my account.....they know who I am, I am the guy with the big overdraft. If that that sounds all to complicated go to the pursers desk and get two $5 CDN notes and be done with it.

Given the exchange rate on ships, you're probably still better off buying something with a $20. But if you want to make things complicated for visitors to Canada, go ahead....

Given the exchange rate on ships, you're probably still better off buying something with a $20. But if you want to make things complicated for visitors to Canada, go ahead....

What is so complicated about going to the Pursuers Desk and exhanging some US funds two five dollar Candian notes....only you have complicated it by suggesting visitors to Canada buy something that they don't need and then having a bunch of Canadian funds they don't need....really:confused:

Archived