Does anyone have a hotel they love in Athens

otogocruisin

Well, if you want to talk about a hotel to love, it's hard to beat the Grande Bretagne. I stayed there one night pre-cruise and it really is all that it's cracked up to be. On the other hand, given its location on Syntagma Square, it may not be the best choice if there is any chance of scheduled demonstrations. Also, it's a pricey splurge.

On my return to Athens post-cruise, I spent four nights at Athens Gate, and it was also a very good hotel. Not deluxe, but for the price it is modern, well designed, friendly, and extremely well located (near the new Acropolis Museum and right across the street from the Temple of Olympean Zeus). Great rooftop area for breakfast (included), drinks, dinner, etc with one of the better Acropolis views.

Well, if you want to talk about a hotel to love, it's hard to beat the Grande Bretagne. I stayed there one night pre-cruise and it really is all that it's cracked up to be. On the other hand, given its location on Syntagma Square, it may not be the best choice if there is any chance of scheduled demonstrations. Also, it's a pricey splurge.

On my return to Athens post-cruise, I spent four nights at Athens Gate, and it was also a very good hotel. Not deluxe, but for the price it is modern, well designed, friendly, and extremely well located (near the new Acropolis Museum and right across the street from the Temple of Olympean Zeus). Great rooftop area for breakfast (included), drinks, dinner, etc with one of the better Acropolis views.

Have to agree with the Grande Bertagne, it is unbeatable, but pricey. If you can afford it or have the right hotel points stay there, and enjoy breakfast on the rooftop restaurant as the sun first kisses the Acropolis. The views from up there are not beatable.

Agree with CruiseMom on the Athens Gate Hotel--we stayed in May of 2010--it was quite reasonable, we had a fantastic view of the Acropolis from our room, and enjoyed the great (included) breakfast on the terrace of the roof-top restaurant, which overlooks the Temple of Zeus as well as the Acropolis. We also liked the fact that we could stroll all around Monastiraki and Plaka in the evenings, and end up back at our hotel. Quite close to the Acropolis, the NEw Acropolis museum, and just around the corner to the Acroploli metro stop. We enjoyed our stay.

Enjoy Athens!

Kevin

Have to agree with another post that the Grande Bretagne is hard to beat. It is an old world hotel in a perfect locaton right off Syntagma Square. As long as the Greeks are behaving themselves and not rioting it is the perfect hotel in perfect location.

ank

Don't doubt that the Grande Bretagne is a classy hotel, but I would suggest you also consider the AVA Hotel. Its location is so handy in Plaka, it offers larger rooms with nice balcony views, etc. We stayed there and liked its "boutique" style that was more personal.

Below are a couple of my photo views from our hotel balcony and what's so close and nearby. Spending evening in the Plaka is like being in "Heaven"!!

You can check out my earlier post on “Athens Tips, Suggestions, Examples to Enjoy!” for many details, ideas and interesting visuals on this great city. Lots of ideas here from me and others experienced with Athens.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

For those who have not yet visited Greece, the good news is that the wonderful Plaka is right handy and next door to the famed Acropolis area. That makes things so much easier. On going up the hill, be careful as the stone steps can be slick in areas. And you will be looking up and forgetting to watch where and how you are stepping. It's well worth the effort getting there to the top. It is amazing history and architecture!! Also, we had a private guide to help us on this spectacular site. It's not cheap, but it was well worth it to know more on what you are seeing and why it is so important. Below are a few of my visual sample to get people excited about your upcoming visit.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,824 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the balcony of the AVA Hotel, here are two views you can easily see. To the right, the Acropolis Hill towering over its neighboring Plaka neighborhood and this hotel location. To the left, the Roman ruin called Hadrian's Arch. It is a monumental gateway resembling a Roman triumphal arch. It spanned an ancient road from the center of Athens, to the complex of structures on the eastern side of the city that included the Temple of Olympian Zeus. It has been proposed that the arch was built to celebrate the arrival of Roman Emperor Hadrian to honor his many benefactions to the city and the dedication occasion of a nearby temple complex in 131 or 132 AD It doesn’t get much better for being so close to real history than being here at this hotel location in Athens.:

AthensHotelViewAcropolis.jpg

AthensHotelViewRomRuins.jpg

At night in Plaka! Lots of fun, food, drinks, music and shopping there:

PlakaNight.jpg

Archived