Losing key card in port?

moejoe4

I have searched the boards and I don't see anything that covers this.

I'll be taking 3 kids cave tubing. I know we have to have our room cards to get back on the ship.

What happens if one of us loses our card while we are on an excursion? With three kids it's possible!

We are sailing on the Spirit March 18.

Thanks!

Not sure how old your kids are, but we don't let our 10 year old carry her own card - we carry it for her as she would never be going to the room alone or would need to have it on her own. This way, we don't worry about her losing it. This is also the reason (one of the reasons) you need to carry a photo id with you whenever you are off of the ship so you could identify yourself back at the ship if you were to lose your sea pass in port. My suggestion - have the adults hold them.

I'll be taking 3 kids cave tubing. I know we have to have our room cards to get back on the ship.

What happens if one of us loses our card while we are on an excursion? With three kids it's possible!

We are sailing on the Spirit March 18.

Thanks!

You should take some other form of ID with you as well. I would take a copy of everyone's passport with you If someone loses a key, you will then have identification for getting back on the ship.

I lost my keycard last year in Bermuda. When I returned to the ship, I had to go through a separate line. The man checked the ship manifest to verify that I was on that ship. I had my picture ID. After he verified, I was told to go onboard and they checked my picture ID with the picture they had of me onboard. I then went to the Purser's desk and was issued another keycard. They deactivated my lost one and changed the lock code on the room, gave my daughter a new card also, and we were all set to go. My daughter gave me a hard time because it was me that lost the key card and not her. By the way, my daughter was 45. It was a funny story for us to tell when we got home. Make sure you take picture ID off ship every time you go ashore.

I'll be taking 3 kids cave tubing. ...

What happens if one of us loses our [room] card while we are on an excursion?...

If you are talking about doing this out of Belize City, my DW and I did this three weeks ago today. It is not likely to be an issue if you either put the key card in a pocket that buttons or else leave it on the bus, which they lock and keep attended. There is also the option of renting a locker, which I think was four dollars US.

If you have water boots or rubber-soled water socks, I would recommend you bring them on this excursion. If any of you have neck issues, you might wish to consider a different excursion, as you have to hold your head up in a fashion that quickly tires the neck muscles. Undoubtedly you will all end up trying to support your heads with one or both hands, but you also are required to hang on to neighboring tubes. It shouldn't be too onerous if you are in decent condition though. Also, bring mosquito repellent (though they weren't bad for us), sunscreen, and hand sanitizer for using before and after going through the buffet lunch line. Finally, the bus ride is rather long, so bring some sort of game(s) to keep the kiddies entertained.

Have fun. We did.

I forgot my hat on the Pearl when we docked in Juneau, Alaska and instead of buying another (like my honey wanted me to) I sent him back on board to retrieve it. An hour later he finally shows up telling me that when he tried to get back on board, the card wouldn't scan. They wouldn't let him on the ship.

I'm not sure who they called, but someone finally came down with a copy of the ship's manifest and compared it to his driver's license and verified he was on the ship. He then had to go to reception to get a temporary card so he could get his passport out of the safe and take it back to the reception desk area to prove who he was to them. Only at that time, did they destroy his old card and issue a new one.

We have also had problems with our key cards not working or stop working when we are trying to get into our stateroom. Very frustrating either way.

Shouldn't you keep your passport or at least a copy of your passport with you at all times when in port? Heaven forbid you should miss the ship - things do happen. You're in another country - how would you get out of there whether it be to catch up with the ship or get home? Also this way, if you lose your keycard, you still have proof of who you are.

Good question and you don't even have to be a kid to lose it.

I lost my keycard last year in Bermuda. When I returned to the ship, I had to go through a separate line. The man checked the ship manifest to verify that I was on that ship. I had my picture ID. After he verified, I was told to go onboard and they checked my picture ID with the picture they had of me onboard. I then went to the Purser's desk and was issued another keycard. They deactivated my lost one and changed the lock code on the room, gave my daughter a new card also, and we were all set to go. My daughter gave me a hard time because it was me that lost the key card and not her. By the way, my daughter was 45. It was a funny story for us to tell when we got home. Make sure you take picture ID off ship every time you go ashore.

Thanks for the detailed answer, this is very good knowledge to store in the back of my head if ever needed.

Shouldn't you keep your passport or at least a copy of your passport with you at all times when in port? Heaven forbid you should miss the ship - things do happen. You're in another country - how would you get out of there whether it be to catch up with the ship or get home? Also this way, if you lose your keycard, you still have proof of who you are.

Make sure you have the emergency port agent's phone number with you when leaving the ship. IF you are running late call them and tell them your passport is in the safe and they SHOULD have it waiting with the port agent and that person should also help you with getting you to the next port as well.

I NEVER take my passport off the ship, its safer in the safe. I don't carry it all the time when I do land vacations either. Only when I know I'll be crossing an international border.

I never travel in a foreign country with out my passport on my at all times wether it is a land trip or on a cruise. The only thing a paper copy of your passport will do for you is if you were to lose your passport it will help you with the embassy agents to get a new one.

dont you just go through your daily life without losing your I.D. or money, or wallet? what is the difference if you are away from home? i never got these threads about losing things on vacation :confused:

you people realize that if you need your passport, and all you have is a copy of the first page of your passport that, that is just as good is not having it?

why is everybody so afraid to take their passport off the ship?

why cant you leave the ship without losing you room card? when you leave your home, are you just as paranoid,about losing your car keys?

i will never understand :confused:

someone please help me get it.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

When we took the train in Skagway my mother only took a copy of her PP. I had the real thing. The officer chewed her out. We really thought he was going to detain her. Never again.

Was that an excursion that crosses into Canada and then back into Alaska? If so, that is one of the few times you are required to actually carry your passport ashore, because of the border crossings into and out of Canada.

The only place I have carried my passport ashore was in Russia, where it is required.

I would not carry a passport off the ship. Just have a photo copy of it or carry your drivers license or a photo copy of it.

I would not leave without mine... If for any crazy reason you cannot be back on the ship before it leaves your passport is your lifeline. A photocopy is worth about as much as the paper it is printed on. With a passport, you can arrange for travel to the next port... With a photocopy... Game over.

dont you just go through your daily life without losing your I.D. or money, or wallet? what is the difference if you are away from home? i never got these threads about losing things on vacation :confused:

you people realize that if you need your passport, and all you have is a copy of the first page of your passport that, that is just as good is not having it?

why is everybody so afraid to take their passport off the ship?

why cant you leave the ship without losing you room card? when you leave your home, are you just as paranoid,about losing your car keys?

i will never understand :confused:

someone please help me get it.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

The passport issue is always a hot button because there's no absolutely correct answer.

I never carry my passport ashore because I feel it's more likely to be lost/stolen or damaged than it is for me to miss the ship (and the State Department agrees its not a good idea to carry your passport with you unless it's required. They recommend leaving it in your hotel safe. There's a huge black market for US passports...they are very valuable to terrorists and other criminals.)

What you definitely need to carry with you beyond your ID is the name and phone number of the local port agent. If you think you're going to be late, call the port agent. They can arrange for your passport to be taken from your room safe by a ship's officer, who will turn it over to the port agent, and the port agent will arrange to get it into your possession.

The whole thing about taking your passport is another issue, worth many long discussions.

As to not having your ship ID, here is what we have seen happen.

You show up at the gangplank and they just pull you aside. They call somebody who then tries to figure out who you are and get a new id. You stand there for a bit.

If you had your passport, or license, or passport copy, whatever... you would probably have lost that as well. LOL!

I never carry my passport ashore because I feel it's more likely to be lost/stolen or damaged than it is for me to miss the ship (and the State Department agrees its not a good idea to carry your passport with you unless it's required. They recommend leaving it in your hotel safe. There's a huge black market for US passports...they are very valuable to terrorists and other criminals.)

Leaving your passport in your hotel safe is quite a bit different from leaving it in the cabin safe. The hotel is not likely to leave without you. On the other hand if the ship leaves without you and you don't have your passport good luck.

Leaving your passport in your hotel safe is quite a bit different from leaving it in the cabin safe. The hotel is not likely to leave without you. On the other hand if the ship leaves without you and you don't have your passport good luck.

Somehow I was aware of that before you posted, but I appreciate your having my best interests in mind.

The reason I posted that was to emphasize that our own government suggests you not carry your passport with you unless it's necessary.

There's former US consular officer who regularly posts on these boards who also recommends not carrying your passport ashore...and her job was dealing with US citizens who had lost their passports, or had them stolen or damaged.

And the reason I posted about having the port agent's telephone number was because one of the port agent's jobs is to assist you should you ever find yourself in the position of potentially missing your ship's departure.

I'll continue to follow the advice of professionals. You're free to do as you wish.

Somehow I was aware of that before you posted, but I appreciate your having my best interests in mind.

The reason I posted that was to emphasize that our own government suggests you not carry your passport with you unless it's necessary.

There's former US consular officer who regularly posts on these boards who also recommends not carrying your passport ashore...and her job was dealing with US citizens who had lost their passports, or had them stolen or damaged.

And the reason I posted about having the port agent's telephone number was because one of the port agent's jobs is to assist you should you ever find yourself in the position of potentially missing your ship's departure.

I'll continue to follow the advice of professionals. You're free to do as you wish.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to an official website that has this advice on it, would you? (I am aware of the advice of the former consular employee of whom you speak.) In days gone by I'm sure that there was a big demand on the black market for US passports, but with the new security measures being in place I'm not so sure that's the case any longer.

Archived