Inside or Outside Cabin?

micruiser12

Our last 6 cruises (out of 7) we have had a balcony cabin, but usually sailed to warm ports. I am just beginning my research for Alaska, but I get the impression that maybe an inside cabin might work just as well since scenery should be seen from above on the ship and daylight lasts longer. For those that have experience cruising either inside or outside cabins was an outside cabin worth it? Have you gone from usually having balcony cabins to inside for Alaska and were you comfortable with that?

Thanks for any help you can give me as I research this trip!

Alaska is the only cruise where we do book a balcony. We also bring a large vacuum flask which we keep filled if we want to warm up.

Some will say that the open deck is better, we have tried this just once, and have since opted for a portside cabin, [better for glacier viewing, turn up sound on TV to hear the ranger speak].

john

for myself, I chose the inside cabin, because

1) it be nice and dark to sleep in, vs. a outside room where the long day might disturb sleep

2) honestly I had no problem watching the scenery from one of many big windows or the open deck on the ship, lounging or sitting somewhere. On glacier days, the ranger talks comes through the deck speakers just fine for myself to hear.

3) the money saved from the inside cabin can best be used on excursions, which are more expensive compared to most other cruise destinations.

On our last visit to Alaska in July 2010, we were in a balcony (upgrade fairy visited us on embarkation day and upgraded us from an OV) and it was fantastic to be able to view everything from our balcony instead of going up top.

We are on the Sapphire this year in June and there wasn't a single balcony cabin available so we are again booked in a partially obstructed oceanview though we would prefer a balcony. The one advantage I have experience with saving a lot by being in an OV is that we can afford some of the more expensive excursions like a flight to Misty Fjords with Island Wings.

My opinion is that a balcony is great if it is an option or you can afford it but if it means not being able to take some of the great excursions in Alaska, I would prefer to be inside or in an OV and use the saved money on the excursions.

Have a great Alaska cruise!

I'm just back from cruise #74 in Hawaii and don't care where my cabin is. :) I always go with cheap inside, which allows me to take 4-6 cruises per year, and travel at least 3 months, which my money and job allow me to do so.

Most do not do this. So, it's wonderful, there are many options to choose from and cabin choices are pretty endless. YOU will have to decide for yourself what you want. But, I do think if money is "tight", then getting a cheaper cabin the better choice. I can't see over extending the budget for a single trip.

The posts will claim an outside is necessary. Not for everyone- I want full extensive viewing, and enjoy the sailing views most of the time. Again, depends on how YOU wish to spend your time. :)

I definitely agree with Budget Queen. It all depends on your budget. However, from personal experience, I love having a balcony on Alaskan cruises. You can see the beautiful scenery going by right from your room. You aren't always up on deck and the privacy of your own balcony or even just looking out the big sliding glass doors is great. We have always enjoyed it.

So far, did a few cruise, on most either I or someone else in our family had an inside. IMHO comes down to money, does spending the money stop you from doing an excursion; helicopter, flightseening etc. I'd say take the inside and do the excursion. On every cruise getting out on top open or lower sheltered deck matched what ever I felt I got on my Balcony. Of couse couldn't wake up in my b-day suite and go to the window but how much is the $ worth to you?

Our last 6 cruises (out of 7) we have had a balcony cabin, but usually sailed to warm ports. I am just beginning my research for Alaska, but I get the impression that maybe an inside cabin might work just as well since scenery should be seen from above on the ship and daylight lasts longer. For those that have experience cruising either inside or outside cabins was an outside cabin worth it? Have you gone from usually having balcony cabins to inside for Alaska and were you comfortable with that?

Thanks for any help you can give me as I research this trip!

I definitely agree with Budget Queen. It all depends on your budget. However, from personal experience, I love having a balcony on Alaskan cruises. You can see the beautiful scenery going by right from your room. You aren't always up on deck and the privacy of your own balcony or even just looking out the big sliding glass doors is great. We have always enjoyed it.

I don't know how "private" will the balcony be? On Diamond Princess, the balconies are all staggered, so if I stand on on of the top deck and look down, I can see all the balconies, and the top balconies can see the lower level balconies, etc.

We have done both inside and outside on our Alaska cruises and honestly the inside was just fine. The outside windows on most ships don't really allow for much more than allowing some natural light into the room. They would never be adequate for scenic viewing which is much better done on deck or in upper lounge with huge windows. We spend very little time in our cabin, especially on an Alaska cruise. The inside is perfectly cozy for sleeping, showering and changing and it is nice to have complete darkness at night for a restful sleep. I would say if you can save money on an inside that can be applied to your excursions in port, that is a much better use of funds!

I would have suggested balcony if possible. We use our balcony more in Alaska than we do in the Caribbean. There is just so much more to see as you sail along. But, given the choice between an inside and an oceanview, I would say inside. You will appreciate the darkness for sleeping. You aren't really going to watch the scenery from your window, so it really isn't necessary. You will want to either be on your own balcony or up on deck or in a lounge with a lot of windows.

I always book a balcony cabin except when cruising AK, to me the extra cost is not worth the little time that DW and I use the balcony, an outside cabin is just fine for us. Being from SC I guess we are not as cold tolerant as most folks.

I have had balconies and oceanviews and insides and while a balcony is nice I really agree with Budget Queen...it really is up to YOU and your own budget

Alaska is an expensive proposition to begin with, and I personally get tired of people who put down the cheaper options such as r/t from Seattle, no land tour, Carnival and/or an inside cabin

If this is all one can afford, I think it is better to finally "go for it" and get to Alaska...a long time dream of mine....and be happy and make the best of what I can afford. I am doing a lot of "due dilligence" regarding the shore excursions, packing in as much as I can, making sure of a variety of experiences....and probably a splurge or two

I would honestly rather spend the money on shore excursions than a balcony ...I want to go to the Yukon, see the sled pups, whale watch, and maybe even a flightsee in Ketchikan. I can't "afford" it all

However, I was lucky in the fact that Carnival has upgraded our inside to an "obstructed" balcony....win/win. For the price the "obstruction" won't bother me at all...I can look outward to the mountains and glaciers <grin>

I just won't be able to look down

I also plan to spend time with my friends on deck, maybe in covered areas to keep warm haha....can you imagine sitting in a hot tub looking at glaciers?? wow

So do what you can, enjoy what you have...don't let people discourge you. I am soooooo excited to go to "The Great Land" finally. I would go on a ferry boat with a tent if I had to, I really want to see Alaska

While I confess that we have only had balcony and ocean view cabins, I would much rather have a inside cabin than not go to Alaska at all. An Alaska cruise is pretty port intensive so you are out of your cabin and ashore, on glacier days you really want to be out on deck and on sea days the ships all have very comfortable lounges. Now could I convince DW to take an inside....that would be another matter.:rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to our balcony in August. We decided to splurge since it's our 30th anniversary, and will probably be our only trip to Alaska. I didn't want to regret anything. If we don't use it much, well, so be it. But if we wanted it and didn't have it, I'd be annoyed. And I don't want to be annoyed on this trip!

For a cruise to Bermuda - well, on that one I'm traveling inside.

This is so helpful to hear your opinions. I am watching for the 2013 sailing and price will determine which we book. I think it will either be inside (for the darkness) or balcony, which we have been spoiled with on our last cruises. You are right, though, on this trip I expect we will be off the ship a great deal and want to spend the money (and they are expensive) on the excursions. Don't want to miss seeing everyhting we can see within reason.

On my trips to Alaska I've had 4 outside, 8 obstructed and 6 inside cabins. Overall on 48 cruises I've only had 2 balconies, both on cruises with a group of friends where we all had aft balconies.

Like BQ I prefer to spend my money on multiple cruises and/or shore excursions and spend a large portion of time aboard ship on deck moving around for different viewpoints.

You probably have different wants/needs than me but I've never come back home thinking I could have seen much more with a balcony cabin. .

What I found interesting was that when booking or May cruise in December, the price difference between oceanview and balcony was tiny (only about $100 per person) so it was a no brainer to get a balcony! I don't know if this was because we booked late (in Alaska terms) or because the cheapest cabins were sold already, but now when I check back seems as though more cabins have become available at more affordable rates.

I've been to Alaska twice, both times with an inside cabin. Even if I had a balcony, I would hardly ever use it. I'd be missing out on half the beautiful Alaska scenery if I just sat out on my balcony. There's incredible views on both sides of the ship, and out on deck is the only place to catch it all.

If it fits into one's budget, personally we have found a balcony with the great view through the large sliding door great for viewing out of when you are hanging out in your room whether just waking up, getting dressed or whatever. We can't be up on deck at all times so we aren't missing the great scenery when in our room.

There was a time when I was in the bathroom and my husband yelled out, there is a big pod of dolphins out there and we would have missed it if we were in an inside cabin. Other times, the gorgeous mountains after coming out of Hubbard Glacier on our way to Seward. Just so beautiful that would also have missed while dressing for dinner.

So, if it fits into your budget, Alaska is definitely the place to indulge.

Ok, you convinced me! I told my husband we are going to try to stretch our budget to get the balcony cabin. Only once in 7 cruises did we not have a balcony so I was afraid we might not be happy without one, but then Alaska is expensive and want to go on some great excursions. The balcony does sound like it could be very worthwhile to have, depending on the price.

Thanks to everyone that posted replies! I have gained so much knowledge from this board that have helped plan our last few cruises.

Archived