The Joy of the Interior Stateroom

HealthyTouch101

Have you ever tried a Suite, if not don't knock them until you've tried one. Glad you enjoy your inside cabins, as we enjoy our suites. I use to feel like you did, we spent little time in the room so why spend the money for the bigger cabins, then we had one and guess what we spend lots of time in our cabin now, funny how that works.:)

As a matter of fact.. yes I have spent over 60 mights in suites.. and 36 nights in Penthouse suites...on Regent! ( head and shoulders above any thing HAL has yet to dream of)

And we found that on a 30 day Holland America cruise we enjoyed the Inside cabins even more, J cabins on New Amstrdam. Holland once gave us a free up grade to a veranda ! What a mistake, we demanded they put us back to an inside because they are larger and better laid out with more comfort and storage than any veranda or outside....

Too, If I wanted a suite, I would seek a real one, Hollands are nice but nowhere worth the extra money because outside the cabin every has the same level of service suite or inside.. They charge about what Regent wants, a luxury line, and cant compare.

We can afford to get what what we want, however, we feel we need a value for what we spend. Insides on Holland Suites on Regent or Oceaina. :cool: But for the price, a poor return in my opinion.

No...I love Holland Americas Huge insides up to 286 sq ft !!! Too, seeing Alaska from a verands is short changing you experience, you only get at best 1/4 of the view as oppsed to being on deck.

Thus, in my experience having a veranda keeps you in the cabin, missing so much wonder so that you can get some sort of rational value to yours self for laying down thousands , not hundreds, more for the room !

I have cruised since 1980 and I must say most of my cruise have been in inside cabins,I have only cruised in a balcony room 2x Once in Alaska on a cruise tour and last year on the Westerdam when we were offered an aft Balcony on the Westerdam for a 99$ upcharge*couldn't pass it up.I am now booked in a Cat L GTY on Maasdam and would be pleased with a cat J on the lower promanade.

I would rather cruise inside then have to skip a year saving for a balcony.I also like it dark to sleep,and we like to socialize and enjoy the ship,

It's simple Walt, while you are sitting on the Lido, some of us are enjoying some quiet time on our veranda Rather than eat in the Lido, we may opt to eat in our room - or have some friends over for a glass of wine and munchies on those sea days. It does make a difference. My friends had an interior room when we cruised - we had a balcony. I can tell you where most of the pre-drink parties were.

they were on our balcony for some of the scenic cruising, etc.

and you're right - to each their own - but don't knock it until you've tried it

No question that an interior is the best buy on the ship and if you are travelling solo, probably the best option - but for others - it's not the only option - or even the best one

Well, firstly Jacqui, my name is not Walt! :mad: And, secondly, I have no desire to book a (more) expensive verandah suite (where there will be the possibility be being subjected to the second hand sidestream tobacco smoke of your balcony neighbours)! :eek: No thanks! ;)

well some of cannot afford suites, My brother pays for my cruises. I also travel solo. So no way I will do that. Doing a inside will allow me to take another cruise. I also want to be out of the room and met people. Yes I would love to have a outside room with a balconey but not in this life time. I also love to do a world cruise never goinig to happen . So I am happy with 7-14 day. $2-5000 carbin (solo rates) I am happy I am very easy to please. Having someone come clean my room, feed me and do dishes Not to mention seeing new places and meeting great people

Mary

We've tried them all except the PH. In truth we prefer an OV. An inside is fine and if the price is right we will grab it.

We found that, for us, the best thing about an OV is leaving the curtains open at night and watching the moon light up the waves. We prefer the lowest deck all the way forward or aft for the most movement. The sound of the waves going by the hull really lulls us to sleep. We love a rocky ship.

We also prefer no bathtubs ( the sides are so [I]high[/I]) we have found numerous OV's with shower only. We have one booked on the Westerdam right now #1007. Can't wait! Edited by kakalina

• 1 year later...
Bump for those that missed this the first time around.

We still love the interior and even recently, when my SO and her mother were "upgraded" we had to have a lot of communication witht he agent, as we did not want an upgrade to something with a window onto a deck (done that and don't care for it). Ended up an oceanview and MIL loved it. It was near an elevator for her, so that was great.

I love the darkness and quiet of an interior. Our cruise last Spring with friends had us in an interior across the hall from their balcony. It was lovely because it was easy to find each other. Still preferred our interior but loved their happiness at their first cruise and their 40th wedding anniversary. We are planning another for the spring, if we can swing it.

I have moved on up and often move on down when the occasion warrants. As a solo cruiser, sometimes booking an inside is the difference between taking a cruise or not taking a cruise. I adjust as necessary and always love my cabin.

[quote name='Indycal']I was sick on one of my cruises, they thought at first it may be Noro, so I was quarantined in my room just to be safe. We were going thru the Panama Canal, and I would have missed it all if I had not had a balcony. I would have been so upset had that happened. Now I hope I am never sick on a cruise again, but just the thought of being confined in an inside room worries me. It could be my claustrophobia too, I need to see out. Too bad, I would like to save the $$ an inside room would save![/QUOTE]

This is my worry and why we like an oceanview. If I were quarantined, I would want to be able to see out. Otherwise, an inside would be just fine for me.

This is a great discussion. We always take a inside cabin or gty. For us being on a cruise is a great way to travel . Choice is a great option and makes a nice fit for your cruise vacation. As for us we are are always thankful to be on a ship. It is something we look foward to.

[quote name='HealthyTouch101']Bump for those that missed this the first time around.

We still love the interior and even recently, when my SO and her mother were "upgraded" we had to have a lot of communication witht he agent, as we did not want an upgrade to something with a window onto a deck (done that and don't care for it). Ended up an oceanview and MIL loved it. It was near an elevator for her, so that was great.

I love the darkness and quiet of an interior. Our cruise last Spring with friends had us in an interior across the hall from their balcony. It was lovely because it was easy to find each other. Still preferred our interior but loved their happiness at their first cruise and their 40th wedding anniversary. We are planning another for the spring, if we can swing it.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]Thank you for coming back and updating your experience.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Verdana]We always book an Inside guarantee. HAL's inside cabins are a good size, and we like the dark and quiet. We don't spend a lot of time in the cabin, there are lots of great places on the ship to read, watch the scenery, etc.
Of course, booking a guarantee we always hope for an upgrade.[/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=3]Lucky for us, it's happened. Last time, between an upsell and an upgrade we ended up in a Neptune Suite, but on our next cruise, we're still looking at booking an inside gty, otherwise we probably couldn't afford the cruise.[/SIZE]

[quote name='silvercruiser']Having been quarantined for just 3 days out of 762 days of cruising, I'd say that it's not a big worry.[/quote]

When you take a cruise like Alaska, where a lot of the enjoyment is the scenery the cruiseship is passing by, being quarantined would be a big disappointment to someone who goes on a cruise for the scenery. When we took our first Alaska cruise during the month of June, we never even took in a show. We were always on deck or in a lounge with panoramic windows so we didn't miss anything. If I were quarantined in an inside on open ocean.....I can agree no big deal. However, there are certain days on certain cruises where it could be disappointing, especially if it were a once in a lifetime cruise.

[quote name='kakalina']We've tried them all except the PH. In truth we prefer an OV. An inside is fine and if the price is right we will grab it.

We found that, for us, the best thing about an OV is leaving the curtains open at night and watching the moon light up the waves. We prefer the lowest deck all the way forward or aft for the most movement. The sound of the waves going by the hull really lulls us to sleep. We love a rocky ship.

We also prefer no bathtubs ( the sides are so [I]high[/I]) we have found numerous OV's with shower only. We have one booked on the Westerdam right now #1007. Can't wait![/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]I love the cabins with "showers only" too, Trish. We just had an upsell to a Lanai on our upcoming Maasdam cruise...and when you mentioned this, I remembered that we'll have a tub with high side. Oh well...it's a category I've always wanted to try. We love to feel the motion of the ocean, too.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='amster65']Started reading this and noticed the thread is two years old??

Who keeps picking up these old threads[/QUOTE]

Sometimes when people ask a question that has been asked before, they are berated and told they should have done a search as they can find "x" number of threads on the same topic within the first few pages of the forum. Therefore they do the search and then find an old thread. If the info is helpful it is all good.

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="5"]

Actually, I think this is a great thread, two years old or not. Our first 28 cruises were booked as inside cabins and we enjoyed them all. Now that the economy has recovered a bit and the IRA statements look a little better, we have tried out the Veranda staterooms and found that experience to be quite enjoyable as well. We even received our first upsell to a suite.:)

Anyway, we have booked the next two 14 day cruises in Veranda staterooms. If the money permits we will continue to do so. And if it does not permit, we will happily book inside rooms. The most important thing is to be on the ship enjoying the wonderful cruisemates and the service provided by the staff.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='amster65']Started reading this and noticed the thread is two years old??

Who keeps picking up these old threads[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Annoying, isn't it. Another one from 8 years ago was resurrected today. :rolleyes:
You just have to learn to look at the posting date before you start reading. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]