Istanbul 1 day port call..need Visas?

Ok...I will contact the proper agencies but before I do a simple question...

Is anyone getting a Visa for a one day Istanbul port call from a USA location Turkish Consulate BEFORE embarcation and BEFORE leaving the States? No overnight or airport or hotel involved in Turkey...just a port call on day 3 and again on day 5 of the cruise.

Thanks.

For a visit as a cruise ship port-of-call, you don't need a visa.

Even if the ship overnites in port.

You will only need a visa if you arrive or depart by any other means, eg if you fly in to join the ship in Istanbul. In that case you buy your visa at the airport on arrival (a $20 bill will do the job)

JB :)

Ok...I will contact the proper agencies but before I do a simple question...

Is anyone getting a Visa for a one day Istanbul port call from a USA location Turkish Consulate BEFORE embarcation and BEFORE leaving the States? No overnight or airport or hotel involved in Turkey...just a port call on day 3 and again on day 5 of the cruise.

Thanks.

No Visa needed unless you spend the night ashore in Istanbul.

• 4 weeks later...
We're arriving in our port of call, Istanbul, 3 nights prior to sailing. So we will need a visa. I'm assuming like a pp said, no prior arrangements are needed-just show up and pay, right?

That is correct, but get the Visa at the airport after you land but before you get in the immigration line.

That is correct, but get the Visa at the airport after you land but before you get in the immigration line.

Yes, the visa booth is immediately ahead of the immigration lines & not well-signed. I've seen folk spend time in the immigration line, only to be sent back to buy a visa. Not happy bunnies :mad:

No need for TL, a $20 will do the job (other nationals different fee/currency, check immigration website).

We're arriving in our port of call, Istanbul, 3 nights prior to sailing. So we will need a visa. I'm assuming like a pp said, no prior arrangements are needed-just show up and pay, right?

It is more of a tourist tax than anything. They do not even look at your passport except for a space to put the sticker. It is $20 for a US Passport. If you happen to be from Canada you can expect to pay about double that amount.

We are ending our cruise in Istanbul and flying out of there. Where do I get my visa?

Thanks.

I've not done it that way round, but I think you buy it at the cruise pier, at the end of your cruise.

Certainly no need to do anything in advance of your cruise &, assuming plenty of others on the ship are leaving in Istanbul, arrangements will doubtless be announced on-board.

We are ending our cruise in Istanbul and flying out of there. Where do I get my visa?

Thanks.

I belive that if you're getting off the ship and immediately being transported straight to the airport using the ship's own transport, you are considered to be in transit and do not need a visa at all.

The cost of the Turkish Visa, should you need one, is dependent on your citizenship/passport. As an example, if you are entering with a Canadian passport the cost of the Visa is $60. And, if you travel around Turkey by air, the airport security folks always check your passport to ensure that you have the Visa.

Archived